TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cabin overheat protection...is it working?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Emcsquared, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Emcsquared

Emcsquared Member

To my understanding, cabin overheat protection is designed to help keep the cabin from... overheating... when the car is not being operated. However I have encountered multiple instances where it does not appear to be functioning as I would expect. I would appreciate any insight...

Many of the instances, the battery has been at least 40% charged, if not fully charged or even plugged in... the car has been operated within the last 6-12 hours, and cabin overheat protection is ON.

Yet the cabin routinely is >120*F and even >130*F.

Isn't the cabin overheat protection supposed to help with this? This morning, My car is plugged in and battery is full... yet it was 134*F...

Insight is appreciated.

2. Emcsquared

Emcsquared Member

Screenshot with interior temp.

Attached Files:

3. ZERO260

ZERO260 Member

When you get it working properly. Be careful because it will cycle on off every few minutes unnecessarily and use battery power. Might be better to just turn a con from phone prior to having to drive car.

4. animorph

animorph Active Member

I looked at TeslaFi data from the last time I parked outside. It would reach 105F and then cool for a while, then repeat. There have been a few threads where it doesn't seem to activate.

5. David.85D

David.85D Member

Mine seems not to be working in the last few days. Noticed the car at 114F when I got a notice my blackvue 4K was shutting down due to high heat.

The car has been held to 104F up until recently. Guessing something has been broken in the software..,

on top of the child/pet safety, I felt I was getting some protection for the electronics, flash memory, screen, etc by keeping the car to 104F max.

6. AlanM

AlanM Member

My 2015 has always maintained below 105° until yesterday when I installed the latest update. Today it was 125°.

7. David.85D

David.85D Member

Noticed mine at 115 F today. Checked that cabin overheat protection is still toggled on, and it was. Energy savings was off.

8. Gtosnipey

Gtosnipey Member

Had my update yesterday and seemed to work. This morning I went to leave, opened the app and saw it was 141 inside the car. Settings are still activated not sure why it didn’t turn on.

9. Don TLR

Don TLR Member

Mine has always kept my car at 103, no matter how hot it is out.