Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin overheat protection no longer working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed something interesting. I use “fan only”. I backed the car out into the sun an hour ago and it didn’t look like COP turned on the whole time. I checked the app every 10-15 minutes to make sure the car wasn’t asleep. I even stepped outside to see if I could hear the fan. Nothing. The interior temp got up to 117.

I have the car set not to lock when I’m home. I just hit the lock from the app and, boom. Temp is down to 105 in about 7 minutes.

I’m wondering if it doesn’t kick on until you park and lock the car.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem to be working for me, either. I have a 2021 Model Y with the latest software updates. I'm currently in AZ and I noticed that my car interior was over 130. I got into the car, reset the computer, turned overheat protection off and back on, and the closed it up. I noticed that the temperature immediately started to increase. It went back to >110 and rising within minutes. The car is plugged in and the charge is 57%. Has anyone else had luck getting this feature working, again?

It doesn't seem to be working for me, either. I have a 2021 Model Y with the latest software updates. I'm currently in AZ and I noticed that my car interior was over 130. I got into the car, reset the computer, turned overheat protection off and back on, and the closed it up. I noticed that the temperature immediately started to increase. It went back to >110 and rising within minutes. The car is plugged in and the charge is 57%. Has anyone else had luck getting this feature working, again?
I tried unlocking and re-locking the car, too. It's currently locked and the overheat protection still isn't kicking in.

I tried unlocking and re-locking the car, too. It's currently locked and the overheat protection still isn't kicking in.
OK. It seems to be working for me now. Here is the full sequence of things that I did. I reset the computer, turned overheat protection off/on, and then closed and locked the car. From the app, I turned on climate control and brought the temperature down to 80. I then turned off climate control. The car is now maintaining the temperature below 105. Car is charging and the charge level is 56%.

• Informative
Reactions: WarEagleGo
I simply cannot enable this feature. It is grayed out for me. I tried a reset (steering wheel buttons) and no dice. It’s 130 in my car. Help?
Resolved. After waiting 2.5 weeks and within 3 days of my service appointment, FINaLLY a tech looked into my data. Turns out it had something to do with my car’s delivery status and they fixed it remotely. Probably something to prevent that feature from being used before delivery. Anyway, hope this helps someone else.

Had my car parked outside at Tesla SC, first time really needing the overheat protection. It worked as designed. First 12 hours it did its thing, next day i saw it was at 130. I remotely unlocked and re-locked my car. cabin overheat protection seemed to take over after that as the temperature slowly but surely dropped to below 105 and stayed there.

On my new Model Y COP works most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't. This morning the cabin temperature reached 157F. SOC was roughly 90%.
So I turned on the car and let AC run. After the cabin temperature reached 80 I left the car, and within 10 minutes the temperature shot up to 120 again so COP still isn't working.

Tried multiple ways of solving this, unlock/re-lock, through the app, from the fob, turned on/off the feature, with and without A/C setting...still nothing. And this used to work without me giving it any thought before. Car is plugged in at my house, same as when it used to work perfectly. Interior temp of the car is currently 123 degrees F. Ugh...
Having the same issue. My cabin was at 144' today. Went in, rebooted, etc. Did you ever get it figured out?

I simply cannot enable this feature. It is grayed out for me. I tried a reset (steering wheel buttons) and no dice. It’s 130 in my car. Help?
I had this issue as well. I went and chatted with telsa chat. They said they didn't have the car as "delivered" in their system (or something like that). The lady said they'd get that done for me.. The next morning it was available.. Maybe that might be your issue?

As of a couple of updates ago, I've had pretty consistent performance from the feature as long as I remotely unlock and lock the doors in the morning, the system now works as it is supposed to and keeps the cabin around 100 deg F all day. But just as the feature states, it is not perpetual, and if I don't unlock/lock the car in the morning, the cabin will easily reach over 135 deg F.

We got ours to work simply by pushing the “Auto” Climate control button on the main console. When the climate control was on a manual setting for whatever reason it seems to not allow the automatic functioning of the overheat protection. Not sure if this is the same for everyone but it seemed to work for us.

Does the NoAC version work for anyone else?
I use that to save battery, but the car was 116 yesterday, and the exterior temp was just 80. Seems like it should be able to keep the car cooler than 116 if the air is just 80 outside the car, even with some sun hitting it.