Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin overheat protection no longer working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on 2021.4.12, and have rebooted more than once, turned on and off cabin overheat protection, and the interior keeps climbing to over 120 degrees F, and it is only 70 degrees outside. Cabin overheat protection used to work last summer keeping the interior around 100 degress or less, even when it was 90+ degrees outside. I just started to notice this issue since it only just got warmer outside. Car remains plugged into my charger at home. I don't know if 2021.4.12 is the problem or not. Is anyone else having this issue? Am I missing something to enable this feature again?

Reactions: APotatoGod
See setting for Cabin Overheat Protection No AC. If you have this set to ON then only the HVAC fan comes on to cool the cabin. This setting will conserve battery power but is much less effective at reducing cabin temperature than if the AC helps to cools the cabin.

Cabin Overheat Protection will only remain active for the first 12 hours after parking the Tesla vehicle. If you are not able to drive the vehicle to reset the 12 hour clock you would need to wake up, unlock and re-lock the Tesla vehicle using the Tesla app.

Tried multiple ways of solving this, unlock/re-lock, through the app, from the fob, turned on/off the feature, with and without A/C setting...still nothing. And this used to work without me giving it any thought before. Car is plugged in at my house, same as when it used to work perfectly. Interior temp of the car is currently 123 degrees F. Ugh...

Tried multiple ways of solving this, unlock/re-lock, through the app, from the fob, turned on/off the feature, with and without A/C setting...still nothing. And this used to work without me giving it any thought before. Car is plugged in at my house, same as when it used to work perfectly. Interior temp of the car is currently 123 degrees F. Ugh...
Have you tried a Reset?

Sorry to revive this thread. Did it work for you? I parked outside for the first time in a while.... logged in and saw my temp above 120F also. It just came back from service so I assumed they turned off the overheat protection but I went to the car and it was set to ON (as I left it). I've manually turned on the AC to cool it down. I'd be very disappointed if this doesn't work, even if the car is okay... I have an SSD in the car for dash cam that I'd prefer not to get overheated. I looked in other threads and others have suggested using No AC, is this just to save power or is there some reason this works while ON does not?

I didn't have to do a reset...it seems to work for a day, espeically if I keep Sentry Mode and AC on, but then if I don't unlock/lock the car once a day, regardless of Sentry Mode or AC settings, by the next day, the car gets up to 120F+ again. I feel like this feature used to work much better when I first purchased the car in June 2020 than it does now. If I don't babysit the car, it doesn't work more than one day in a row.

I didn't have to do a reset...it seems to work for a day, espeically if I keep Sentry Mode and AC on, but then if I don't unlock/lock the car once a day, regardless of Sentry Mode or AC settings, by the next day, the car gets up to 120F+ again. I feel like this feature used to work much better when I first purchased the car in June 2020 than it does now. If I don't babysit the car, it doesn't work more than one day in a row.
Cabin Overheat Protection only remains active for 12 hours after you park. As you have determined if you don't drive the vehicle you need to remotely unlock the Tesla, then re-lock the vehicle (this can be done by using the Tesla app) to reset the 12 hour clock.

Unfortuantely, that seems to be the case but when I first purchased, it didn't seem to work that way? I actually just set a reminder in my phone now , and I do exactly that - I use the app to unlock/relock the car. Because it isn't even summer here in the East coast yet, and my car temp has reached 135F. That can't be good for the screen, nor the USB drive.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Unfortuantely, that seems to be the case but when I first purchased, it didn't seem to work that way? I actually just set a reminder in my phone now , and I do exactly that - I use the app to unlock/relock the car. Because it isn't even summer here in the East coast yet, and my car temp has reached 135F. That can't be good for the screen, nor the USB drive.
I believe the Tesla vehicle's battery must have at least 20% SOC for Cabin Overheat Protection to work. You might try turning off Cabin Overheat Protection, waiting a while, then set Cabin Overhear Protection to On. Couldn't hurt.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4
I'm seeing this as well. My Model 3 is reaching temps of ~120F even with Cabin Overheat Protection on (with A/C, although I've tried it without A/C as well). I've physically opened the doors to wake it up and reset the 12 hour timer, toggled the COP settings, turned on the A/C to drop it to 72F, and yet no matter what I do the car continues to quickly reach 120F as soon as I walk away. This feature worked very well for me each of the past two summers, so something seems to have changed.

I have a 2017 Model X 100D and I am observing this as well. I also distinctly recall it working w/out the requisite babysitting. With the PACNW heat wave, I just checked and temp in X, from app, showed 164F. That's ludicrous! Car is plugged in, cop fully enabled. Should never have gotten that hot. App should have alerted like when a door/window remains open for 10minutes.

My R1T can't get here fast enough. If Tesla/Elon don't unf*ck themselves, Rivian's gonna clean their clock. I know that myself and about a dozen friends are bailing on the Tesla dumpster fire. So done with being urinated upon and told it's rain.

• Disagree
I'm suddenly having this problem with my MY too... last summer the system maintained 100 until i returned. For the second day in a row I've returned to my car to find a temperature in excess (118 yesterday, 107-and-climbing today)... my car is sitting idle for fewer than 12 hours...

I have a 2017 Model X 100D and I am observing this as well.
One of my cars is also the 2017 X 100D, and yes, this used to work better without baby sitting. The feature seemed to have changed some time around Dec 2020, yet I could be wrong about the time range.

How I solve this is that if the car is going to be out in the sun unattended for a few days, I just make sure I have a lot of charge on it and I use TeslaFi to set a schedule to turn on the A/C in late morning to a high temperature (so as not to use excessive energy constantly running). Then I set a schedule to turn it off in later afternoon, along with getting an email confirmation.

Sometimes if I am away from the car for just a couple hours, I set dog mode. And yes, that keeps the interior cooler than needed (about 72F), and uses a bit more energy, yet I am ok with that.

• Informative
I feel like it might have something to do with deep sleep. I'm not sure if cabin overheat protection runs during deep sleep and will wake the car to run the fan or compressor, but I seem to have good results if the car heats up before it can go to sleep. Say I drive to work and it's 95 F outside with the sun beating down, within about 5 minutes of parking the car will already be up to 90 to 100 F and will reach the turn on point of cabin overheat before it tries to enter deep sleep. Then it seems to work fine all day long and keep the car between 99 F and 101 F (with the AC option turned on). However, if the car is in deep sleep BEFORE it gets up to temp, it seems to not become active when it crosses that upper temperature limit. Once I manually check on the car and thus wake it up, for the rest of the day it seems to work.

If you have FSD it might be worth while turning on Smart Summon or whatever (which keeps the car from entering deep sleep) and see if that helps with your cabin overheat, especially if you might get to work when it's fairly cool out (say 70 F) and might take 20 minutes or longer to actually have the cabin reach 100 F... or, ironically, maybe DON'T park in the shade so the car warms up real fast as soon as you park...

Reactions: Hobbsave