Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin overheat protection no longer working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) is only active for the first 12 hours after you park the Tesla vehicle. To reset the 12 hour clock you can use the Tesla app to unlock, lock the doors.

Turning on the Climate Control via the Tesla app is not the same as COP. COP (with AC) will maintain the cabin temperature at or below 105F. COP with fan only (No AC) may not be able to maintain the temperature below 105F or even 130F but it will be cooler than without COP (fan only mode) enabled.

Climate Control will heat or cool the passenger cabin to whatever temperature you have set.

Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) is only active for the first 12 hours after you park the Tesla vehicle. To reset the 12 hour clock you can use the Tesla app to unlock, lock the doors.

Turning on the Climate Control via the Tesla app is not the same as COP. COP (with AC) will maintain the cabin temperature at or below 105F. COP with fan only (No AC) may not be able to maintain the temperature below 105F or even 130F but it will be cooler than without COP (fan only mode) enabled.

Climate Control will heat or cool the passenger cabin to whatever temperature you have set.
Unlocking and locking the vehicle from the app DID NOT enable COP to function. The only thing that worked for me when my vehicle was sitting at 137 degrees was to turn on the AC until it reached 80 degrees and then turn it off. Once the temperature rose again above 105, COP started working.

• Informative
Reactions: SWIPE and jcanoe
THIS WORKED FOR ME: I was just having this problem with my 2019 Model 3 (80% battery, driven within the hour). I tried the hard reset, turning the feature on and off in my car and on the app. Nothing seemed to work.

I closed the app on my phone and reopened the app. For some reason as soon as I did that it started to work. I don't know if it was a crazy coincidence or that was the trick. As soon as I reopened the app it clearly said "Cabin Overheat Protection" and the temp started to drop. It is now holding ~100F. 🤷‍♂️

I need to read through this thread but I’m experiencing where COP comes on when it should but after an hour or two it will stop. If I don’t do anything when I check back later it’s working. It’s like it cycles. This isn’t a “greater than 12 hours” situation.

I need to read through this thread but I’m experiencing where COP comes on when it should but after an hour or two it will stop. If I don’t do anything when I check back later it’s working. It’s like it cycles. This isn’t a “greater than 12 hours” situation.
Assuming the battery state of charge is greater than 20% COP set to On should remain active, maintaining the cabin temperature at or below 105F for 12 hours. What cabin temperatures are you observing after an hour or so?

Assuming the battery state of charge is greater than 20% COP set to On should remain active, maintaining the cabin temperature at or below 105F for 12 hours. What cabin temperatures are you observing after an hour or so?
It can get up to 125 or so. Battery state is > 50%

Edit: I really don’t know how high it can get. When I notice it going close to 130 I usually turn on the ac.

Last edited:
I would expect 125 - 130F for COP No AC (fan only mode.) Have you tried rebooting, also logging out of your Tesla account on the Tesla phone app and logging back on to the account?
interesting! After logging out of my account and logging back in, cop began functioning again. Not sure if it’s coincidental or not. I’m presuming I’ll see the same behavior continue as if that was the fix it implies a software quirk.

Edit: btw, it was set to full COP, not fan only.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
interesting! After logging out of my account and logging back in, cop began functioning again. Not sure if it’s coincidental or not. I’m presuming I’ll see the same behavior continue as if that was the fix it implies a software quirk.

Edit: btw, it was set to full COP, not fan only.
Another user posted that logging out of the Tesla account, logging back in is what fixed COP (at least temporarily).

This summer I am using COP w/No AC (HVAC fan only). This appears to use only 1/3rd as much of the battery charge over 8 hours as does COP set On (with AC.) So 2 kWh instead of 6kWh or so.

Reactions: BnGrm
Another user posted that logging out of the Tesla account, logging back in is what fixed COP (at least temporarily).

This summer I am using COP w/No AC (HVAC fan only). This appears to use only 1/3rd as much of the battery charge over 8 hours as does COP set On (with AC.) So 2 kWh instead of 6kWh or so.
So just to report back- I’ve yet to have my issue reappear after logging out of the app and then back in. Seems to have fixed it. I just jinxed myself of course. Thanks again for the tip.

I had noticed COP stopped working this summer. I tried logging out of all app instances and logging back in. Its worked the last two days (in fan mode, which seems like reasonable compromise between heat and kwh).

Do you guys get any notifications or indications in the app when just fan mode COP is activated? I never have. No way to tell it’s on except tracking the interior temp or listening for the fan at the front of the car. The COP/AC setting gives me a notification and also says active in the app.

Turn the manual fan setting on the AC to automatic. Cabin Overheat AC fans must be in automatic because it vents the cabin at varying rates and cannot override when the fans speeds are set to manual. Cabin overheat only works with AC in auto, more the 20% SOC anc no longer than 12 consecutive hours.