Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection Not Working 8.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice their cabin overheat protection not working after the 8.1 (17.11.3) update? Battery was at 75%. It's been working perfectly fine before the update.

I had to park on the top floor garage, and as I was walking to my car for lunch, I used the app to start cooling the car. Then I saw the interior temp was at 118 degrees. I've never seen it above 105 b/c of the auto cabin cooling. I checked my settings, and cabin overheat protection was still on.

Perhaps it was a one time thing? Anyone else had issues with this? Summertime is coming, and that Texas heat is coming with it!

I'm sure my glass roof is not helping either.

I've also seen the interior temp at 115 with overheat protection enabled, which is hotter than I though overheat protection would allow.

Venting the sunroof and running the ac for a few minutes quickly brought the temperature down.

Reactions: reghoustonguy
Anyone else notice their cabin overheat protection not working after the 8.1 (17.11.3) update? Battery was at 75%. It's been working perfectly fine before the update.

I had to park on the top floor garage, and as I was walking to my car for lunch, I used the app to start cooling the car. Then I saw the interior temp was at 118 degrees. I've never seen it above 105 b/c of the auto cabin cooling. I checked my settings, and cabin overheat protection was still on.

Perhaps it was a one time thing? Anyone else had issues with this? Summertime is coming, and that Texas heat is coming with it!

I'm sure my glass roof is not helping either.

I would not be happy with 118. I'd like to be able to configure this temperature depending on what I may want to leave in the car.

I hadn't seen above about 105 prior to 8.1. Haven't left her out since the update but will definitely keep a close eye.

wow that's hot. I will definitely keep an eye out for our car's temp when parked outside. Thanks for sharing this.

New owners here and had our car parked outside before 8.1 and was checking in on it to see how well the overheat protection worked and saw it only went up to 104 and then cooled.

it's been so surprisingly cool here in socal i haven't had a chance to see the overheat protection working yet! but damn 118 is hot... goodbye sunglasses and chap sticks.

...and not good for your 17in screen.

Being new to Tesla and the Tesla app, I've been doing screen captures of the app screen a couple times a day to check in on the car's charging and interior temperature. Prior to 5:33pm PDT yesterday there were temperature readings always listed on the main screen after the Climate category. No temperature readings since that time. How are you able to determine the temperature inside without seeing it on your app? I'm afraid that may mean we also have lost our cabin overheating protection with this last update.

Wouldn't be surprised if we lost the feature because people complained "cabin overheat protection" was a scam/marketing gimmick because 105 is still "too hot" and that it would leave more people to "forget" their kids/pets in the car.

Wouldn't be surprised if we lost the feature because people complained "cabin overheat protection" was a scam/marketing gimmick because 105 is still "too hot" and that it would leave more people to "forget" their kids/pets in the car.

That's illogical. Something is better than nothing. This feature isn't here to allow people to leave kids/pets in cars. Its there, like AEB, to mitigate a problem. Also it helps protect your car.

I think Tesla needs to be made aware of this issue. I've emailed Tesla service to see what they think.

How are you able to determine the temperature inside without seeing it on your app? I'm afraid that may mean we also have lost our cabin overheating protection with this last update.

I've noticed the temperature display on the app's main screen can be spotty. Yesterday it was not there, but this morning it is. However even if it's not displayed when you open the app, you can click on climate (opening up the overhead view of your car/cabin) and it should display the interior temp there - though you may have to turn on the air.

I'm hoping it was just a fluke, and we didn't lose the feature. Only my speculation, but keeping the interior temp below 105 (as compared to 120+) has got to be beneficial to (some of) our car's hardware.

Reactions: SMAlset
Spoke too soon. Checked twice now and no temp shown either time. :( Makes me concerned about not having that Cabin Overheat protection. Who does one even tell at Tesla about something like this so it gets fixed? Assume this is Not a service center issue.

I called Tesla's Tech Support line and explained the situation and my concern. Mentioned that other people here had noticed the same thing and some reported seeing temps as high at 115F and no Cabin Protective cooling happening. She indicated that she wasn't seeing any other reports of this (so I'd suggest calling in to report it). She had me reinstall my app. It didn't solve the problem. I went into the Climate section (with the car image) and she had suggested turning it on to cool and see if the temp then registered. It did on the car image and subsequently appeared on the front screen of the app. I turned the pre-conditioning off after a brief 1 degree cooling. Just checked again and the app is still displaying the temp. Will monitor through out the day although I think we are suppose to have a cooler day today so not sure the interior would reach 105F to trigger it. She said she'd keep the report open for the time being.

Hopefully people will continue to monitor their cars to see if the cabin overheat protection turns on. From Telsa's 8.0 software details:

Cabin Overheat Protection
In an industry-first safety measure, we are introducing Cabin Overheat Protection, focused on child (and pet) safety. This feature keeps the car at a safe temperature for hours, even when the car is off, and is made possible by our uniquely large battery packs.

Last edited:
Spoke too soon. Checked twice now and no temp shown either time. :( Makes me concerned about not having that Cabin Overheat protection. Who does one even tell at Tesla about something like this so it gets fixed? Assume this is Not a service center issue.
Actually it is.

[email protected]

Email them, they'll send it over to your local Service Center, if they need to, they'll file a bug up to "engineering".

My app would show the car waking up per message at the bottom and rotating arrow and would display the temp. Lately though waking up but nothing. Just woke it and no temp indicated. Only location displayed.
You could also try toggling the temperature. Turn it on from the app and turn it off 10 seconds later. It shouldn't give any immediate change in the car temp, but should show you the internal temp.

My app would show the car waking up per message at the bottom and rotating arrow and would display the temp. Lately though waking up but nothing. Just woke it and no temp indicated. Only location displayed.
Agreed. There seem to be several levels of "sleeping" (and I'm not talking about the sleep vs. deep sleep vampire drain issue. I haven't spent enough time playing with various combinations to draw any real conclusions as to what the triggers are. It appears that, when the app is started, there is a period of nothing (or it shows the old data (miles remaining, etc.) while the app connects to the server and the server connects to the car. At that point the app updates and appears to get what (in my head) I'm calling an "initial status update" which has status of doors, frunk, trunk, locks and miles left in battery. This initial status update does NOT appear to update/show the car's internal temperature, and the field is blank.

When you cycle by going to the climate page, it appears to pull and update to show some additional data and the internal temperature field becomes populated. I'm still not sure if this is true current data or not. The reason I say this is that I can go from no temp data to, say "76 degree internal temp." If I then start the climate system to precool the interior, after about 5-10 seconds the arrows will come on showing the system is on, but they are white, not blue or red indicating heating or cooling. After about another 5-10 seconds, the arrows turn blue. This may mean that the auto climate system is first turning on the fans and then triggering A/C 5-10 seconds later...or it may mean that we first have a state change report "system on" and later get a state mode report "cooling or heating". Someone who has dissected the API and looked at what the actual messages are can better tell us. The interesting thing to me is that, within seconds of the arrows turning blue, the interior temp will jump up 2 degrees or so, and clearly the car didn't just heat up 2 degrees. This makes me wonder if the first internal temp number reported may be somewhat older data.

Again, I don't have enough hard data to make any definitive conclusions and I've never played with the API as I'm sure many on this list have to actually see the raw data reports for various fields in real time and have a better feel for what the car is doing and reporting, and when.

I do agree that going to the climate page seems to get an internal temp, but toggling the climate system on always populates the field in short order.

That's illogical. Something is better than nothing. This feature isn't here to allow people to leave kids/pets in cars. Its there, like AEB, to mitigate a problem. Also it helps protect your car.

I think Tesla needs to be made aware of this issue. I've emailed Tesla service to see what they think.

oh i agree. but you can't please everyone in the interwebs unfortunately. People will literally complain about anything.

Anyways hope this is a glitch and nothing widespread. Im getting my car on friday in texas and of course its untinted so i'll be testing this feature immediately.

Had to park on the top floor again today, and it looks like the cabin overheat protection was not lost with the 8.1 update. I've been closely monitoring the interior temperature on my app. Once the cabin temp reaches 104, the car starts cooling itself down to 100. Then at 100, it'll slowly climb back up to 104. It has been repeating this cycle for the past 30 minutes.

I'm just going to assume that 118 was a one time fluke.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset and croman
Well that's good to hear. I was monitoring our car's temps during the afternoon this week but it's apparently been too cool to reach past the 104 interior setting so haven't seen it come on. Looks like another cool week ahead but will keep it in mind when we get hotter to keep checking. I've seen people down play this feature (well maybe more downplaying why Tesla said it was created) but I like that they added it regardless of the reason given.

You could also try toggling the temperature. Turn it on from the app and turn it off 10 seconds later. It shouldn't give any immediate change in the car temp, but should show you the internal temp.
Quick note on that, which may (or may not?) be what others have been seeing here. I've noticed, that almost every time I remotely turn on the fan (regardless of temp setting) the indicated temp in the app bumps up almost 10 degrees. Give it a minute or two and it will go back down. I don't know where all the sensors are and how it averages them, but it would seem that some hot air is built-up somewhere, and the sensor that gives us the temp readout in the app is just downstream of it. Once the fan kicks on, that hot air hits the sensor and we get a 10 degree bump, but then goes back down after a minute or two of air circulation.

EDIT: I should note that every time I've seen this, it's been when the car was parked outside in the sun.