Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the Model 3 out in the sun for an hour or so after I had left it, I have the Cabin Overheat Protection on , I have Sentry Mode on. I check the temp of the car on the app and it tells me that the interior is 112F? I go out to the car and I can hear the fan running but it seems the A/C isn't on. Anyone else experience this?

Air conditioning works as expected when driving the car.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Had the Model 3 out in the sun for an hour or so after I had left it, I have the Cabin Overheat Protection on , I have Sentry Mode on. I check the temp of the car on the app and it tells me that the interior is 112F? I go out to the car and I can hear the fan running but it seems the A/C isn't on. Anyone else experience this?

Air conditioning works as expected when driving the car.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Probably a dumb question but do you have it toggled to A/C? There is a fan only option too. I live in Arizona and when I have it set to fan only, it seems to only cool to around 115 or so. With the A/C on it keeps it around 100 degrees.

I have noticed (with the A/C on or off with cabin overheat) that the temp gets up to 115 and then it cools down *to* 105, at least that's what it does in my case. Of course with the A/C off sometimes it won't even get down to 105 on the warmer days.

My husband’s MS a few weeks ago wouldn’t turn on Cabin Overheat Protection when he had Sentry Mode turned on. He has had one or two updates since and I’ve been checking his car and seems to be working now. Just checked his car now and it’s working. Definitely pays to look in on your car during the day to see if it’s activated.

Doesn’t sound like an issue in OP’s case but just a reminder to newbie’s that COP only works after you have sat in the car, and will last for 12 hours.

Had someone sat in the car today?

I drove it today if that answers your question.

What is the purpose of that feature besides leaving a baby in the back seat? Does the car get damaged internally if it's too hot when in the sun?

Leaving a baby or animal in the car is the real purpose of the feature however I would imagine the interior will hold up better over time because of this feature and lower internal temps.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
In AZ I’ve got fan only on. It changes from the seat is burning my skin off to the seats are quite warm.
I’ll take that any day when the kids are driving with me.
It couldn’t possible keep a human or animal alive though. For sure AC would need to be running for that.

So the cabin overheat protection function doesn't really have much to do with the battery life of the vehicle correct? The only "benefits" I see from this feature are:

1. You're not walking into a burning car after it's been parked in the sun for a while (since it keeps it below 100 with A/C mode on)
2. You're not risking the materials to wear out faster over time since it keeps the temperature under 100. (Although I think most of the damage is from the sun rays rather than the heat)

Do you all agree? I'm thinking about disabling this feature just because at work, the car sits in an uncovered area and gets direct sunlight throughout the day. I would rather spend the energy to cool down the vehicle 10-15 minutes before I get out of work, rather than have it constantly turn on to lower the temp below 100.

For me, it “works” like this: fan turns on somewhere between 118-123 degrees, stays on until car gets down to about 105 then turns off. Repeat cycle.

I have the “no ac” option selected for cabin overheat protection.

My current sentiment is this: it works well as designed but the literature is misleading because it implies the fan protection turns on when temp goes above 105. When actually it turns off around 105.

Where I live the outside air temp is rarely over 80 deg, so in theory the fan should be able to get the cabin waaaay cooler than 105 even without the AC compressor.

Adding to the above post I've made, I've brought the car to work and parked it when it had 197 miles of range on it left. Between 8am and 1pm, It has used up 7miles of range already! Yes, sentry mode is also on. However, I don't think it has been triggered at all today.

Are you all seeing similar results? The car is pretty much sitting there in full sunlight and I imagine the AC constantly kicks in everytime the cabin temperature goes above 100.

Hope to hear back from some of you guys

Adding to the above post I've made, I've brought the car to work and parked it when it had 197 miles of range on it left. Between 8am and 1pm, It has used up 7miles of range already! Yes, sentry mode is also on. However, I don't think it has been triggered at all today.

Are you all seeing similar results? The car is pretty much sitting there in full sunlight and I imagine the AC constantly kicks in everytime the cabin temperature goes above 100.

Hope to hear back from some of you guys

Sentry mode keeps the vehicle fully awake, regardless of how many sentry events it detects. It consumes power constantly while it's turned on.