Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection notification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up a new M3P in mid-November, 2021. Love the car. During these winter months have been using the heated steering wheel feature and also the heated front seats. Whenever I, the wife, or both of us, leave the car (park it), we manually turn everything off. This has worked just fine, until early this afternoon. Went out to lunch and came back home. Plugged the car into our wall charger (it was at ~160 miles range left). Twenty minutes later the wife decides to go to the mall. And hour into her shopping I get the notification about cabin overheat. I open the app on my 2nd gen iPhone SE and it is reporting the cabin temp at 100F while 50F outside. The app isn't showing anything on. No heating element and no AC/heat. I tapped the 'vent' just in case because I've sat in this car before while completely off and its never gotten anywhere near 80'sF.

I then called the wife and she went out to the car. She verified that window venting did open the windows. She got inside and said it wasn't anywhere near being hot. She sat there with the windows down for about ten minutes and then moved the car to another part of the mall parking lot--away from other vehicles. She went back inside and I monitored the app and once again the temp began to climb again, but this time also the outside temp being reported climbed, too (50-->55F). I then noticed in the Climate section of the iOS Tesla app the steering wheel heat came on--all by itself. I tapped it to turn it off. Then the climate control kicked on and the iOS shows the blower goingas it was reporting the interior temp climbing again into the high 80'sF.

Wife went back out to the car and conducted some palm testing on the seat surfaces, the floor boards, the walls of the truck, etc., to see if heat was being generated but everything seemed normal. My thought if a cell had gone bad and being LiON that would more certainly generate heat. But the wife found no unexplained hear sources. She is now home and the car is parked in the driveway (not the garage) and everything seems stable. iOS app version is 4.4.4 and just noticed there is an update (4.5.1). Car software is on version 2022.4 if that helps.

My WAG is that you may have a flaky cabin temperature sensor. Problem is it is Tesla - could be hardware or this month's half baked software.

If you start getting funny issues and the inability to precondition the HVAC you'll likely confirm the issue.

I wouldn't panic if you get the alert again. It actually would be good if it fully fails as intermittent faults are a pain to get fixed properly.

• Informative
Reactions: Teleezen
Got a few notifications that my cabin temp was high. One was 132 F with overheat protection on and set to use AC, in January. It was 40 F outside. After the last software update it never happened again. Do not recall which update fixed it but it was 2 updates ago for me. I just installed 2022.4.5 I have a 2020 M3LR

This happened to my brand new MY this afternoon when it was 40F outside. Randomly got notification about cabin overheat protection reading 125F. Nothing was turned on, so turn on climate control and temp went down to 69F in no time. Wonder if the new update from March 22 broke this again? Anyone else having this issue?

• Informative
Reactions: Teleezen
My wife’s Model 3 has started getting cabin overheat protection notifications lately, almost every time we park outside. I live in south FL so it’s possible the notifications are valid, but we never saw one until recently. The AC was also acting up at one point, not cooling well, so I was wondering if the interior temp sensor is flaky.

My wife’s Model 3 has started getting cabin overheat protection notifications lately, almost every time we park outside. I live in south FL so it’s possible the notifications are valid, but we never saw one until recently. The AC was also acting up at one point, not cooling well, so I was wondering if the interior temp sensor is flaky.
Something isn't adding up on my end, last two days it has been in high 50s here in New England and no cabin over heat message..car was park in exact same spot at work with plenty of Sun hitting it today...no notification, I will have to keep tabs on this as weather warms up..strange behavior from the car for sure though...

Just adding a data point. My car is a 2021 built in March 2021. I've had COP on since I bought the car (set to fan only). I live in FL so it stays pretty warm here even in winter. The past 2 weeks it's been in the 80's and I park in open parking lots in direct sun. I've never seen a COP warning in a year of ownership and I've taken all updates: currently on 2022.8.2.

To me it sounds like one of the updates might have glitched that feature and maybe my car skipped that one. I do remember some updates in the 4.5.x series that got skipped. Pretty sure I remember mine went from 2022.4.5 to 2022.4.5.3 and then 2022.8.2.

Mike

To me it sounds like one of the updates might have glitched that feature and maybe my car skipped that one. I do remember some updates in the 4.5.x series that got skipped. Pretty sure I remember mine went from 2022.4.5 to 2022.4.5.3 and then 2022.8.2.
Updates are cumulative, so if you miss a bug in one, you’ll get it in another if the bug isn’t fixed. My wife’s 3 was updated to 2022.8.2 a couple of days ago, so we’ll see if it keeps happening.

This can happen when the windshield is replaced. Tesla has no known way of replacing windshields without scrambling the interior temp sensor. I'm pretty sure I know how to do it (disconnect 12V, duh.) but Tesla does not know this.

Tesla also has no known repair for this problem. The only known fix is to reinstall the firmware either thru a regular update or by forcing a reinstall of the existing version, but they do not know that.

Screenshot 2022-04-02 133642.jpg

Updates are cumulative, so if you miss a bug in one, you’ll get it in another if the bug isn’t fixed. My wife’s 3 was updated to 2022.8.2 a couple of days ago, so we’ll see if it keeps happening.

Of course. But mine skipped 2022.4.5.4 and 2022.4.5.5 so if the bug only existed in one or both of those, I would have never encountered it.

Mike

I confirm, this happened again today with my week old Model Y sitting outside in Sun with outside temp 48F and windy day here in New England. Not entirely sure if this is a software glitch or temp sensor acting up in direct sun light. I have a heated garage usually stays at 60-62 F never once car complained about COP while in garage.

In my case, it’s warm enough that Cabin Overheat Protection events make sense, but the strange thing is that I only started seeing those notifications a couple of months ago. It could be that Cabin Overheat Protection was being used all along but I wasn’t getting notifications before.

Getting the same problem with my model Y. Took it to service. They replaced the humidity/temp sensor. Problem happened again same day. Brought it back. They said it’s normal after first saying it’s not normal and they have seen it before. The outside temp can be 18 celcius and the inside will hit 40 celcius turning on cabin overheat protection. I’ve checked the cabin temp with an actual temp sensor and it was only 21 celcius.
Strangely if I turn on a set temp, say 21 celcius, the cabin temp in the app goes from 40 to 21 within seconds, less than a minute.

I’m at a loss on this. The cabin overheat protection is useless as it is as it will always trigger

Hey guys, does anyone know how to disable the notification? I'm on Android and I like having notifications like "left hatch open" etc, but could care less if it gets too hot and the car lowers the internal temperature (which I like). Just don't want it squawking at me for this.