Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection utility?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody out there who never bother with turning on the Cabin Overheat Protection? Are you experiencing any electronics problems? I lived in some very hot places and melted a few plastic cup, etc, but I don't recall any electronic equipment failing because of the passenger compartment temperature. What specifically is the Cabin Overheat Protection protecting?

Gonna try turning mine off next time (prolly Fri or Sunday), see if it makes a difference in range when I get home for my use case. I always cool it before I get in anyway, so if it's 101 or 130 shouldn't make a diff to me.

Cabin Overheat Protection can protect the center screen. When the Model 3 was introduced there were claims that the touch screen was not designed for the high temperatures that can be encountered inside a vehicle. Now, who knows?

I don’t think it’s the car per say but things you leave in it. For instant high heat has caused the face to pop off the watch. The bonding material actually failed. I would also bet that if you left your phone in a hot car while still powered on you could likely run into issues as well. So it really depends on where you live and how hot it gets

Heat stroke will occur if a person's body temperature rises to 104F (40.5C). A child can dies when their body temperature reaches 107F (41.7C). Cabin Overheat Protection is designed to maintain the temperature of the passenger cabin at or below 105F. If passenger safety (especially child safety) was a requirement then the temperature threshold for Cabin Overheat Protection should be much lower than 105F.

I have survived 2.5 Florida summers. It routinely gets above 150 degrees in the cabin. I have overheat protection disabled. It’s a waste of energy to me and I consider it a convenience feature and not a electronics protection feature. In fact, Tesla itself disables overheat protection of the car is left idle for over 24 hours.

Reactions: KentheJ
I believe that Cabin Overheat Protection only remains active for 12 hours after you park the Tesla vehicle. If you want Cabin Overheat Protection to continue to be active beyond 12 hours you can remotely unlock and lock the vehicle.

C0A577CA-D8DB-4A94-94E7-F236E14AFC02.jpeg
163˚ made me a bit nervous so turned AC on. Are batteries generally kept cool regardless?

In my experience the Tesla Model Y will circulate coolant through the battery, radiator as required. The Model Y can also turn on the AC as required to maintain the temperature of the battery pack. This happens when my Model Y is parked in my home garage, not plugged in, when the temperature inside the garage is above ~90F (32C). When the garage is warm the Model Y will wake up several times during the day. This does not happen as often at night. (My Amazon Echo Auto device is plugged into the Model Y's 12V accessory port. Whenever the Echo Auto device is powered on the Amazon Alexa app displays a notification on my phone that the Alexa app is ready to drive.)

Reactions: Lindenwood
View attachment 677038163˚ made me a bit nervous so turned AC on. Are batteries generally kept cool regardless?
Mine hasn’t gotten that hot but it’s been up above 110 several days since I got it a week ago. I understand that the cabin protection doesn’t work after 12 hours but when I checked on my phone today it said it the inside of the cabin was the same as the exterior here which is about 73F and windy.

my MY sits in the sun all afternoon I have no choice about that. So I came out to turn it on to see if the cabin protection would come on and nothing happens I start the car and nothing happens and my phone just yo 112f I sat here in temperature and nothing changes until I turn the AC and fan on myself.

So it appears to me that the cabin protection is not working but I’m going to try to do some testing over the next couple of days. I’m most worried about damage to the interior of the car the screen and the batteries If it’s sitting at 110°F for several days when I don’t drive. The car will be covered with a Tesla exterior cover when I am not driving it. Most of the time. Will that make the car hotter?

Mine hasn’t gotten that hot but it’s been up above 110 several days since I got it a week ago. I understand that the cabin protection doesn’t work after 12 hours but when I checked on my phone today it said it the inside of the cabin was the same as the exterior here which is about 73F and windy.

my MY sits in the sun all afternoon I have no choice about that. So I came out to turn it on to see if the cabin protection would come on and nothing happens I start the car and nothing happens and my phone just yo 112f I sat here in temperature and nothing changes until I turn the AC and fan on myself.

So it appears to me that the cabin protection is not working but I’m going to try to do some testing over the next couple of days. I’m most worried about damage to the interior of the car the screen and the batteries If it’s sitting at 110°F for several days when I don’t drive. The car will be covered with a Tesla exterior cover when I am not driving it. Most of the time. Will that make the car hotter?
The Tesla Model Y will automatically circulate coolant through the battery pack, can turn on the radiator fan and can turn on the AC to cool the battery. My Model Y turns on about once or twice an hour in the warmest part of the afternoon. These days I rarely need to charge at home so my Model Y is not usually plugged in when parked inside my garage. The temperature inside my garage has at times been 100F (not like southern California, Arizona, Nevada but still warm.)

The Tesla cover should help keep the passenger cabin cooler.

I’m curious about this as well.

My guess is the main goal is to protect the interior over time. After 5-10+ years of parking daily in the sun/heat, I’m guessing the interior materials of a Model 3 with cabin overheat protection will be in better shape than a car with no overheat protection.