Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection v. Off Peak Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It got to be peak time with my electric provider, and I was looking at the data from my electric meter, wondering what was pulling so much. When I couldn't find the AC or any appliance running and pulling large amounts of electricity, I started looking about the inside of the house. Then I wandered into the garage and happened to glance at the wall connector....
Being on a TOU electric rate, I have my off-peak charge enabled and set. The car stays plugged in whenever I'm at home which, in this current age, turns out to be almost all the time for me. If I go out for an errand in the morning, the cabin overheat protection kicks in and stays active for 12 hours, as advertised. Alas, on a day like today where the temperature is 100, it's not hard for the car to hit the overheat protection threshold.
Problem is, a plugged in car draws from the connector while it's cooling, and that includes when the rates are at their highest.
It seems to me that overheat protection / cooling should be taking TOU into consideration, and draw from the battery (when sufficient) to cool the car, rather than pull from the wall at peak rates. The car is plugged in: it can easily catch up tomorrow at lowest rates when it would decide to charge.

Just turn off overheat protection. Why do you need it with the car in the garage? Or at all?

Remember, batteries wear out from cycles of power in and out. You could easily be spending more on the battery wear out than electricity by trying to get COP to use power from the battery then recharge it later.

Imagine a battery costs $20K, and can handle 100MWh of cycling before it's used up. That's actually 20 cents per kWh that you put in/out of the battery.

Reactions: Regaj
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that COP is the cause of your unexplained electric usage. My car spends several hours a day out in direct sun (no garage) and routinely triggers COP during the summer. I can't say that I can tell when COP fires up and when it doesn't (a cloudy day, for instance). Whatever energy it uses is lost in the noise.

In any case, just do what @gearchruncher suggests... turn COP off it it bothers you!

It got to be peak time with my electric provider, and I was looking at the data from my electric meter, wondering what was pulling so much. When I couldn't find the AC or any appliance running and pulling large amounts of electricity, I started looking about the inside of the house. Then I wandered into the garage and happened to glance at the wall connector....
Being on a TOU electric rate, I have my off-peak charge enabled and set. The car stays plugged in whenever I'm at home which, in this current age, turns out to be almost all the time for me. If I go out for an errand in the morning, the cabin overheat protection kicks in and stays active for 12 hours, as advertised. Alas, on a day like today where the temperature is 100, it's not hard for the car to hit the overheat protection threshold.
Problem is, a plugged in car draws from the connector while it's cooling, and that includes when the rates are at their highest.
It seems to me that overheat protection / cooling should be taking TOU into consideration, and draw from the battery (when sufficient) to cool the car, rather than pull from the wall at peak rates. The car is plugged in: it can easily catch up tomorrow at lowest rates when it would decide to charge.
You can set the overheat protection on NO A/C

Reactions: Regaj