Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, such a cool feature. Today is the first day I've parked it in the sun all day and I've got to say very cool that it can automatically cool itself off when needed! Highest it's reached is 45c / 113F, well at least that I've seen anyway. It was back down to 35c / 95F before.

Very impressed!

Reactions: Dana1
I don't recall seeing an option to turn it off or on, so it must be enabled in the background. Version 2018.20.5

Just watched it do it on the app, it hit 47c / 116.6F and it started cooling down, pretty quickly too at that!

That's actually kind of an annoying feature if you don't want it and it's really auto-enabled. Though there have been multiple false reports of it before so I'm going to have to see for myself if I observe it.

Car cabins can handle getting up to 130+ so I'd like to be able to choose whether I want to spend my battery power making the cabin human-comfortable when not actually occupied by humans.

Reactions: slipnslider
That's actually kind of an annoying feature if you don't want it and it's really auto-enabled. Though there have been multiple false reports of it before so I'm going to have to see for myself if I observe it.

Car cabins can handle getting up to 130+ so I'd like to be able to choose whether I want to spend my battery power making the cabin human-comfortable when not actually occupied by humans.
It’s meant to be a safety feature in case someone forgets there is a child or animal in the car. It doesn’t cool enough to keep the cabin comfortable, but enough to keep alive whatever is unintentionally in it.

Yeah, I get that. I guess I should have said human-survivable.:) My kids are old enough to get themselves out and I don't travel with pets so I'd still like to have an option to disable the feature since I've already been in one situation where I needed to leave the car in the heat for an extended period of time 115 miles from the nearest Supercharger and needed to conserve as much range as possible for the return trip home. It's a toggle on the Model S so I'd be kind of surprised if it's enabled on the Model 3 without a similar toggle.

Reactions: Pkmmte
I like the feature, even though there are no pets or infants/toddlers in the mix, simply because I feel like it extends the life of my very expensive electronic components. Especially considering that my Model S is no longer under warranty.

You also want it running to protect the electronics from getting fried; might make either the large S/X screen or the 3's screen last longer.

But it is optional on the S and X:

upload_2018-6-8_16-1-9.png

Perhaps one more thing that's not in the GUI yet for the 3?

Perhaps one more thing that's not in the GUI yet for the 3?

There was a hidden menu in a previous version which did not see wide distribution where the overheat settings were accessible but that was disabled in the very next release. I'd expect some of these settings will eventually find themselves in the GUI. I don't necessary mind having it enabled right now but I would like the option to disable it if I wanted to in order to save a little bit on range. On a day like today with my Model 3 parked at work in direct sunlight the Tesla app would normally report the interior temp to be somewhere around 140 degrees but right now it's only a balmy 105 inside the cabin.

Reactions: Dmagyar
There was a hidden menu in a previous version which did not see wide distribution where the overheat settings were accessible but that was disabled in the very next release. I'd expect some of these settings will eventually find themselves in the GUI.
This is why I'm a little dubious that the feature is there but the UI option to control it is not as we already know the UI exists.

Mine is currently in full sun with an 85F outside temp and an internal temp of 119 but has lost 6 miles of range in the past 5 hours so it's possible some of that has gone to cabin cooling. I would expect it to be 130+ in these conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
It's there, certainly, in the touchscreen menus for Security and Safety, but why not in the phone app? Wouldn't it make sense to be able to control it remotely, even more so that general cabin climate? I suppose we could already have arranged for it from the app by simply turning on climate control and setting it for whatever temperature we want, except that the scale only goes up to about 28C/82F.

i've lost 40-45 miles a day parked in the Las Vegas sun uncovered with overheat on. i've been testing out the 'fan only' option the last 2 days and it's much better... cabin at 120ish and losing about 10-20 miles. would love the ability to activate overheat from the app AND be able to adjust the temp at which it activates... at 105, it's just constantly running.

Reactions: AlasCon
i've lost 40-45 miles a day parked in the Las Vegas sun uncovered with overheat on. i've been testing out the 'fan only' option the last 2 days and it's much better... cabin at 120ish and losing about 10-20 miles. would love the ability to activate overheat from the app AND be able to adjust the temp at which it activates... at 105, it's just constantly running.

I lost 20 miles today with 105 degrees overheat protection, over 6 hours parked in 100 degrees with sunshade and partial tree shade.