TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cabin overheat protection

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by gtmotor, Aug 6, 2018.

1. gtmotor

gtmotor Member

Is there any way to increase the temp it keeps the cabin? My car used a whopping 14% of it's battery (~43 miles) to keep the cabin close to 98 degrees F today. I'm debating just turning this feature off while it's really hot outside.

What do you guys think about letting the interior sit at 140+ for hours on end? I'm wondering if it's worth the trade off of battery usage and wear and tear on the HVAC system.

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

You could put up a windshield cover and crack your windows to keep the temps closer to ambient and disable the cabin overheat option. That might be a good trade-off from 140 degrees vs 14% battery drain.

Maybe they will eventually have an option that just runs the fans to circulate the hot air out of the car vs firing up the HVAC.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

If is supposed to keep it at 104!

4. swaltner

swaltner Member

Use the “No A/C” option in the Cabin Overheat Protction settings. It won’t keep the cabin quite at/below 40 C, but it barely uses any battery power to run the circulation fan at low power. I let it run one day in the default mode before changing the option to only use the circulation fan after seeing results like you.

5. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

I suspect that every other car in Arizona is heating up just as much. From what I've heard, the intended function of the cooling function is if you have left someone in the car. So if you are sure that you haven't left anyone, turn it off.

6. gtmotor

gtmotor Member

Hmm, thanks. I'll try cracking the windows and will use the "no AC" feature tomorrow. I'll report back on energy usage and cabin temps.

7. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

The Houston SC said it’s to protect the tablet. Like any computer I wouldn’t want it at 140 degrees. Unless I have a range issue, which I don’t on a normal day, I leave it on to do its job. My loss is about 25 miles on a really hot day and I’m ok with that. I do use a sunshade and tinted the windows 35 and front windshield 75.

8. gtmotor

gtmotor Member

Turning the no A/C setting on makes a huge difference. I only saw a 1-2% loss the past two days. Cabin temps hovered in the mid-120s, so it reduced the interior temp by 15 degrees it so.

9. eprosenx

eprosenx Member

Yeah, so I think this is lame. I have never once been concerned with any of my other cars overheating. I would expect Tesla to make a car that does not drain energy just to protect the car. I find that unacceptable if that is indeed the issue.

I do want a definitive answer from Tesla on why they created this feature. I have heard people say it is so you don't kill kids accidentally left in the car, or that it is to protect the car, or that it is for the comfort of occupants that return to the vehicle without pre-cooling it.

I really don't know which of these the feature was developed for (perhaps multiple?).

10. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

Electronics don’t do well in heat. A cell phone screen melts. PLC boards fritz- this is why switchboards with PLC boards are in climate controlled rooms, nothing to do with the people. We bought cars we know are predominately electronic. Side benefit you can come back to a cool car or you can safely leave Fido locked in while you run in for a bagel. I was losing 25 miles a day and was concerned until I really understood what was going on and why. I certainly knew the car was dependent on the tablet. I’m glad there’s a feature that protects it in the Texas heat. But you can turn it off or turn only the fan on. What’s the big deal?

11. JayNJ

JayNJ Member

The stated reason is to protect a kid or animal accidentally left in the car. It shuts off after 12 hours anyway. So whatever it is protecting, only gets a 12 hours reprieve.