Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin overheat protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TampaY

Supporting Member
Mar 18, 2020
Tampa, FL
Had one of the first hot days in Florida today... >100F, and 90%+ humidity, in the parking lot at the office. Cabin overheat turned on... I realized it was on as I could hear the AC pump blowing super hard from several cars away as I approached at the end of the day. Looks like I used somewhere around 40 miles keeping the car cool during the day. I don't really care about the mileage usage, as my commute is short.

1. Is it worth the wear on the battery to use this much power each day for overheat protection?
2. Does it cause any additional AC heat pump wear to run most of the day?

I am trying to figure out if the wear is worse than just letting a car get hot (like all my cars prior to the Tesla). What do you think?

Had one of the first hot days in Florida today... >100F, and 90%+ humidity, in the parking lot at the office. Cabin overheat turned on... I realized it was on as I could hear the AC pump blowing super hard from several cars away as I approached at the end of the day. Looks like I used somewhere around 40 miles keeping the car cool during the day. I don't really care about the mileage usage, as my commute is short.

1. Is it worth the wear on the battery to use this much power each day for overheat protection?
2. Does it cause any additional AC heat pump wear to run most of the day?

I am trying to figure out if the wear is worse than just letting a car get hot (like all my cars prior to the Tesla). What do you think?
There's 2 setting for it. Once use AC, and the other doesn't. Maybe just use it without AC?

Reactions: dhanson865
I am also in Florida and have noticed a large drop in range due to the ambient temps getting over 90+

Just turned mine down to on but with no ac, I'll see how that fairs before turning it all the way off

I'm not worried about the precious electronics and all that considering the cars can sit in delivery/service center parking lots without it enabled for days on end.

I have overheat “on” here in Vegas and it uses ~5-10% maybe throughout the day in the sun depending if it’s 95*F or 110*F. I’ve got Xpel Prime XR plus tint (20% around an 70% on the front).

I agree with Fred that you can cool the car quickly but I prefer not to bake the interior since it’s an option we have.