Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In fact read this article about Ford's proving grounds... Particularly the one they use in China. It says they have a sunload chamber to recreate the car sitting in the baking sun... It says interior temperatures of the car reaches 224 degrees F. So yes... 145 degrees F is nothing.... It says they have engineers wearing special suits to protect them up to 392 degrees F. They interact with the components in the car, and says that any bubbling or deformation that happens at 224 degrees is rectified and corrected, so that customers will not face these issues.
Cabin overheat protection is designed to protect the electronics in your Tesla. Tesla, in their wisdom, decided to use "industrial level" LCD screens instead of "Automobile level" LCD screens when designing and creating the Model S. This was Elon's smart move, and turned out to be a really bad idea. Industrial level screens aren't able to handle the temperatures that automobile level can. This feature was released to help protect the electronics, mostly the screens, that were failing because of the heat.

I assume by now they are using proper screens (but I am not sure), but regardless, the feature was designed as I mentioned, to protect your car, and not for your comfort. The end result is that it helps both scenarios. But your article about Ford is irrelevant given the route Tesla took.

Reactions: BMWM3Man
Cabin overheat protection is designed to protect the electronics in your Tesla. Tesla, in their wisdom, decided to use "industrial level" LCD screens instead of "Automobile level" LCD screens when designing and creating the Model S. This was Elon's smart move, and turned out to be a really bad idea. Industrial level screens aren't able to handle the temperatures that automobile level can. This feature was released to help protect the electronics, mostly the screens, that were failing because of the heat.

I assume by now they are using proper screens (but I am not sure), but regardless, the feature was designed as I mentioned, to protect your car, and not for your comfort. The end result is that it helps both scenarios. But your article about Ford is irrelevant given the route Tesla took.
So you are saying never park the car outside untouched for more than a day?

Elon himself tweeted that is not what cabin overheat protection is for.

Here is another article talking about the exact model of screen that was used in the S and the X. Of course screens of this size has never been made/produced for the automotive market before at the time. It says Tesla did their own testing. (Granted doesn't say how). Not as good as actual automotive grade, but the screen was still certified by the manufacturer at up to 194 degrees F, which is much higher than the 145 degrees F people were talking about earlier. Now I'm not saying Tesla is without their problems, I'm just saying that cabin overheat protection really isn't going to address any of this, becuase it only stays active for 12 hours, and the customer is able to turn it off, and there is no disclaimer anywhere in the usage of said feature that suggests this is what it is for. Which means Tesla could deny you a replacement screen regardless if you used cabin overheat protection or not.

Wonder if the new OTA for this has anything to do with...

I could be wrong but I believe this was only happening when the car was preconditioning the battery for the superchargers and since the processors for the touchscreen in newer models are water cooled I believe the bug was that it wasn't just heating up the battery but by mistake it was also heating up the processors which would make them reach unsafe temperatures.
As far as this cabin overheating protection if it was truly to protect the electronics then we would see some high failure rates in southern states in cars that have that feature disabled and while I don't have any numbers I don't see a lot of posts in the forums discussing those failures. So my guess is this is more for passenger comfort and passenger safety because when you get in the cabin that is at 140-160 degrees any interior surface that is actually exposed to sun is closer to 170-200 degrees and touching it might actually burn your skin. And this is something that I actually experienced in the middle of summer in Las Vegas before.

Why do you say that? I've worked with industrial design teams before. These are common things that are tested in design/production. You think the myriad of cars out there right now that lack cabin overheat protection will have their electronics self destruct just because you parked outside in the Arizona sun for a day? You can't compare your car's electronics to your laptop, they are very different use cases... You are not expected to leave your laptop in a baking car all day... But you are reasonably expected to park your car out in the sun for days at a time.
I agree with you which keeps me wondering, why does Tesla have Cabin Overheat Protection. Protecting what exactly?

Cabin overheat has nothing to do with protecting the cars electronics... If it did, it wouldn't automatically disable after 12 hours. That means regardless if you keep it on or not, cabin overheat will DEACTIVATE after being parked for over 12 hours... Which means if you park your car outside for more than one day, your display will have self destructed by now....
I would agree with you but makes me wonder, why does Tesla have Cabin Overheat Protection at all? Protecting what exactly?

I agree with you which keeps me wondering, why does Tesla have Cabin Overheat Protection. Protecting what exactly?

That was specifically answered by Elon musk himself (as pointed out in this thread already) when the feature was launched. He specifically said "for kids and pets", nothing at all about electronics.

If people want to waste energy "protecting the electronics" thats up to them, but the feature was specifically designed for kids and pets. Elon was replying to a quote about dog mode, when it was launched, and saying dog mode was "in addition to existing cabin overheat protection......(rest of quote)"

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 8.59.32 PM.png

That was specifically answered by Elon musk himself (as pointed out in this thread already) when the feature was launched. He specifically said "for kids and pets", nothing at all about electronics.

If people want to waste energy "protecting the electronics" thats up to them, but the feature was specifically designed for kids and pets. Elon was replying to a quote about dog mode, when it was launched, and saying dog mode was "in addition to existing cabin overheat protection......(rest of quote)"

View attachment 867999
And CEOs always tell the truth?

And CEOs always tell the truth?

In this case, I would rather believe him than "randos online" who seem to think that 145 degrees inside of a closed up car is unusual (it isnt). I certainly dont believe him for plenty of things, but this notion that we need to run the AC constantly to protect the screen needs to stop being propagated.

People can do whatever they want with their own cars, but need to stop telling others online that this is somehow needed to protect the car.

It did come around the time of glue leaking out of screens. So I might be a bit cynical on this topic.

I do view 100-ish as being much more survivable than 135 for an infant left in the car though.
If you are coming from the viewpoint of an older model S or X, what I am saying may not be applicable. This thread is in the model Y subforum, and I am addressing only model Ys and 3s (which use the same screen) and perhaps brand new model S and X. Older S and X (vertical screen), no idea.

If you are coming from the viewpoint of an older model S or X, what I am saying may not be applicable. This thread is in the model Y subforum, and I am addressing only model Ys and 3s (which use the same screen) and perhaps brand new model S and X. Older S and X (vertical screen), no idea.
I have a 2017 S and a 2018 3.

It would have sounded fishy if the feature was only added to protect kids & pets in the model S back when it was released. :)