Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat to 67.6C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen their MX cabin temp go this high?

Mine has been parked outside for a couple days, not driven and I had a quick look at the internal temperature as it is a sunny day.

My car is always connected with power saving switched off, and my cabin overheat protection is on.

To my surprise I saw the temp at 67.6 degrees Celsius.

I manually turned on the AC and keep checking now. It keeps rising well above the stated cabin overheat temp until I manually turn the AC on again.

I guess the cabin overheat does not work as advertised after a while of not using the car?

Whatever the case may be, Tesla needs to fix this with a software update, the interior will be fried soon at these temperatures.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170527-215906.png
    Screenshot_20170527-215906.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
a few things i've heard about (have no solid proof but you can test yourself if you want to)

1. the cabin protection feature will NOT work when car battery is <20%

2.a. in the model X, the default setting is to NOT turn on the rear AC in the 2nd row if there's no weight on the seats (i.e. no people sitting). so if you leave your pets in the 3rd row and keep your AC on via phone app, it's entirely possible that the app shows a reasonalbe temperature with the AC turned on, yet the 3rd row would be really hot due to 2nd row AC disabled.

2.b. to lock the 1st and 2nd row AC in sync'ed settings, access the AC menu on your main console, then choose the second row AC settings. at the top of the screeen there's an option to switch the "auto" function. it needs to be OFF for you to control your front and rear row of AC together.

3. for the car to get to 67 degree C, that's really sketchy. i've not seen mine (model S 70D) go above 39.8'c ever, even having spent an afternoon under the sorching sun - so i kinda assumed that the overheat protection comes on around that temp. a bit of google search turned up a figure of 105'f which is around that temp. i havent found many people with your particular issue... time for contacting our beloved tesla HK i guess.

Reactions: Titus
How scary is that? Cabin overheat protection is meant for occupants (I.e. Babies) left in the cabin accidentally primarily...and if you have left them there for days then bad news...sorry you got a bigger problem than that...

It's not for the cabin interior...all other cars overheat to that sort of temperature under the sun...

It's not for the cabin interior...all other cars overheat to that sort of temperature under the sun...

Most other cars have no form of cabin overheat protection. Having a car like the Tesla gives the advantage of a feature that can be used to keep the temperature down in the cabin to protect the interior.

Anyone who actually relies on this feature to protect children or pets in the car must have their brains lobotomised.

The feature can, however be a great protection for the car's interior if you don't have the luxury of parking in a covered spot.

Hopefully Tesla adds the option of setting it to "always on".

Most other cars have no form of cabin overheat protection. Having a car like the Tesla gives the advantage of a feature that can be used to keep the temperature down in the cabin to protect the interior.

Anyone who actually relies on this feature to protect children or pets in the car must have their brains lobotomised.

The feature can, however be a great protection for the car's interior if you don't have the luxury of parking in a covered spot.

Hopefully Tesla adds the option of setting it to "always on".
You better lobotomise Elon before any body else then:

" In an industry-first safety measure, we’re also introducing Cabin Overheat Protection, focused on child (and pet) safety. This feature keeps the car at a safe temperature, even when the car is off, and is made possible by our uniquely large battery packs."

This is as quote from the original press release when Cabin Overheat Protection was released alongside with v8.0.

This is not a feature designed FOR use, it's a fallback safety feature when people inadvertently left their kids/pets in the car. And yes it DOES happens, not too long ago there was one instance of a granddad taking the little one to preschool only forgotting about it as he is driving to work and the little one fell asleep. Had that happened on a Tesla, the little one would have a greater chance of survival...

Try google, but you'll be surprised what people can forget...I guess it happens when we get a bit old...

You better lobotomise Elon before any body else then:

" In an industry-first safety measure, we’re also introducing Cabin Overheat Protection, focused on child (and pet) safety. This feature keeps the car at a safe temperature, even when the car is off, and is made possible by our uniquely large battery packs."

This is as quote from the original press release when Cabin Overheat Protection was released alongside with v8.0.

This is not a feature designed FOR use, it's a fallback safety feature when people inadvertently left their kids/pets in the car. And yes it DOES happens, not too long ago there was one instance of a granddad taking the little one to preschool only forgotting about it as he is driving to work and the little one fell asleep. Had that happened on a Tesla, the little one would have a greater chance of survival...

Try google, but you'll be surprised what people can forget...I guess it happens when we get a bit old...

I absolutely agree, it is a brilliant Safety feature as a Backup plan, and we can be assured that this is what Tesla designed it for.

If you re-read my post, what I am referring to is people most definitely can Not solely RELY on the feature. It is meant to be a safety backup. Anyone who plan on using it as a Primary feature (not as a safety backup plan) and purposely leaves their kids in the car, needs to be lobotomised.

We already are one-up on most cars by having the feature. If Tesla just allows the option of "always on" it would allow you to use the feature and be able to rely on it to keep the car interior cool to protect the interior (without having a time limit) This is something that would be very nice to have.

Last edited:
Anyone who actually relies on this feature to protect children or pets in the car must have their brains lobotomised.".

A lobotomy, in the way I expect you are referring to it, essentially creates a sociopath. That ain't gonna help the pets and kiddos, I assure you.

The problem with leaving the overheat protection always on (even as an election) is that, as soon as they do that, someone will leave it "always on" when they go away for their lovely, week-or-longer vacation. Then, when they return to a battery that holds far too little charge for them to get where they are going, they will post scathing messages about it here and on Facebook and everywhere else under the hot, hot Sun. Clickbait "news" services will then pick that up, and then I'll have to hear about it for the next several years.

Essentially, Tesla decided to protect us from ourselves through many, minor inconveniences rather than leave us free to subject ourselves to fewer, major ones. Frankly, I also would like the ability to leave it "always on" or (even better) set the shutoff timer by myself (even up to several hours). However, I understand why they did what they did.

• Funny
Reactions: T.E.S.L.A
Has anyone seen their MX cabin temp go this high?

Mine has been parked outside for a couple days, not driven and I had a quick look at the internal temperature as it is a sunny day.

My car is always connected with power saving switched off, and my cabin overheat protection is on.

To my surprise I saw the temp at 67.6 degrees Celsius.

I manually turned on the AC and keep checking now. It keeps rising well above the stated cabin overheat temp until I manually turn the AC on again.

I guess the cabin overheat does not work as advertised after a while of not using the car?

Whatever the case may be, Tesla needs to fix this with a software update, the interior will be fried soon at these temperatures.
Did you email this to Tesla?