Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin pre-heat without the app on v8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm stuck with firmware v8.1 and I'm happy with that as it means I don't have the batterygate issues etc. But that means that I don't have access to the app.

I charge at work, so it's not plugged in when outside my house overnight.

It's cold here at the moment and I want the car pre-heated ready to drive in the morning.

Is there any way to do this without the app?

Is the API available in version 8.1? If so, it’s pretty easy to write a request to preheat. And if it’s easy, I assume some of the third party apps would do it the same way and be supported. Might be worth it to ask the Stars developer or another third party app developer if there is a Tesla version requirement.

Is the API available in version 8.1? If so, it’s pretty easy to write a request to preheat. And if it’s easy, I assume some of the third party apps would do it the same way and be supported. Might be worth it to ask the Stars developer or another third party app developer if there is a Tesla version requirement.

The API was supported on 8.1, until they changed security of the VPN connection a few months ago (maybe it was a year ago at this point). His car can no longer connect to and receive commands from the mothership because 8.1 doesn't support it, so even if he sends a command to the API, it won't make it to his car.

Because of that, and because 8.1 didn't include Scheduled Departure, I don't think there's a way for you to pre-condition.

• Informative
Reactions: jmaddr
I'm stuck with firmware v8.1 and I'm happy with that as it means I don't have the batterygate issues etc. But that means that I don't have access to the app.

I charge at work, so it's not plugged in when outside my house overnight.

It's cold here at the moment and I want the car pre-heated ready to drive in the morning.

Is there any way to do this without the app?
Will the car stay on if you put something heavy on the drivers seat and then lock the door and walk away?

If so you could go out 1/2 hour early and do that to have it warm when you go. But I don't think this will pre heat the battery if not plugged in, just the cabin.

If I have a direct connection via WiFi to my home network, can I access the car to activate the climate control? Maybe with root access or a Raspberry Pi hooked up to the ethernet between MCU & IC...

There must be a way to do this!

If I have a direct connection via WiFi to my home network, can I access the car to activate the climate control? Maybe with root access or a Raspberry Pi hooked up to the ethernet between MCU & IC...

There must be a way to do this!

Maybe injecting a CAN-bus signal? You're in pretty deep EE territory here and it's not like there's a nice "Pre-condition" signal - there was a whole set of software around the functionality to warm up the battery to one temp, the cabin to another temp, etc when you're in this precondition state.

Have you considered that the reason your voltage may be capped is to potentially prevent a runaway thermal condition and sudden fire? I understand being ticked off about the battery maybe not living up to the specs you expected, but deliberately holding back on updating software and then trying to kludge some functionality by mucking around with a Raspberry Pi seems backwards. Just sell the car or sue Tesla if you're that ticked off about battery gate. Or at least up your homeowner's insurance in case it does decide to blow up in the garage.