Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Protection No Longer Works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Safety issue? 99 percent of cars out there don't have cabin temperature control.

I don’t know why the attitude, maybe 99% should. Around 50 deaths/year happen from neglect with children being left in a hot car. Isn’t one life worth it? It’s still hot but may give a child a chance to live.

If you don’t care about humans it at least will probably prolong the life of your interior.

I see the same thing here in Phoenix. Haven’t been out much due to working from home.

The few times I have, I monitor the temperature on the app and the when it goes above 105 I turn on the climate control...

But, I think that I saw that last summer also. If I did not check the temp with the app the COP would work if I did check the temp it would climb very high...

I never debugged that. Just sharing an experience.

I see the same thing here in Phoenix. Haven’t been out much due to working from home.

The few times I have, I monitor the temperature on the app and the when it goes above 105 I turn on the climate control...

But, I think that I saw that last summer also. If I did not check the temp with the app the COP would work if I did check the temp it would climb very high...

I never debugged that. Just sharing an experience.

I’m not really getting any consistent behavior. I thought COP was working fine after the latest update to 24.6.4, my car was around 105 consistently but now with this heat we are back at 130 when I check it at random. However if I check back about 5 min later the temp is back down almost as if me checking it woke the car up to activate COP. It’s not a huge deal but I really do see an improvement in comfort of the black seats and the ability of it to cool faster when it’s actually working.

I don’t know why the attitude, maybe 99% should. Around 50 deaths/year happen from neglect with children being left in a hot car. Isn’t one life worth it? It’s still hot but may give a child a chance to live.

If you don’t care about humans it at least will probably prolong the life of your interior.

The "isn't one life worth it?" discussion gets dark and complex real quick, so I'll sidestep it for now. But this sort of implies AC would have to become a mandatory feature on cars. That's... kinda weird? Right? And would it then be a legal requirement to keep AC in functioning order at all times? Who has the liability when the AC compressor fails at that point?

Maybe what's weird is that I find this weird, considering where I live heating for houses is a legal requirement for renters (and you'd have a very bad time without it). It gets somewhat hot here, but AC isn't legally required.

Anyhow. Back to discussion. Do all of you have the COP mode set to "AC"? If any of you use "Fan Only", does that appear to still work?

Last edited:
The "isn't one life worth it?" discussion gets dark and complex real quick, so I'll sidestep it for now. But this sort of implies AC would have to become a mandatory feature on cars. That's... kinda weird? Right? And would it then be a legal requirement to keep AC in functioning order at all times? Who has the liability when the AC compressor fails at that point?

Maybe what's weird is that I find this weird, considering where I live heating for houses is a legal requirement for renters (and you'd have a very bad time without it). It gets somewhat hot here, but AC isn't legally required.

Anyhow. Back to discussion. Do all of you have the COP mode set to "AC"? If any of you use "Fan Only", does that appear to still work?

I would have to test that out but in the heat we are having I’m not sure if testing fan only will do much. I just checked and I’m at 100 so the AC is working but it only seemed to work after I checked in on my car via the app.