Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin/Road Noise Model 3 w/aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve been reading threads where people are using all sorts of after market solutions (sponges, rubber seals etc.) to dampen cabin noise. I also saw a tweet from October of 2019 where Elon more or less acknowledged the issue and said the cabin noise was significantly improved since the October production. What’s the verdict here, I know it’s subjective but this is my main hesitation. It seems to be the only consistent criticism from people who are otherwise super satisfied with the vehicle.

You mention Aero wheels in your title, but not in the body of your post. Do you suspect they are a contributor to road noise? If so, try removing them to see if they improve the situation with your car.

Last edited:
You mention Aero wheels in your title, but not in the body of your post. Do you suspect they are a contributor to road noise? If so, try removing them to see if they improve the situation with your car.
I dont have the car yet... I’m looking to get it. I put that in the title as most people who complain about the noise have the standard wheels that come with it... and I wanted to get feedback on that configuration. I’ll put that in my post...

You may want to arrange a test drive or rent/borrow one to see if this is an issue for you. I had read that there have been improvements in sound dampening from the earlier production vehicles. I have a Fall 2018 with Aero wheels and I don't think my older car has excessive road noise. The car is by no means a "land yacht", so I accept and welcome the fact that it has a firm ride, even if that may translate to some road noise from tires, etc. But it's not anything irritating or distracting to me. Most of the time I don't even listen to music so I can enjoy the relative quiet of my ride.

Took delivery on Friday and the wind noise at speeds over 100km/h is my only complaint, and it's not a major one. I listen to my music loud, so that basically solves the problem! I will maybe look at some of the rubber/sponge solutions eventually. I'm on the 19" inch wheels and I don't find the ride that harsh at all, but I'm coming from an Acura ILX, not a super luxury Mercedes or anything.

I dont have the car yet... I’m looking to get it. I put that in the title as most people who complain about the noise have the standard wheels that come with it... and I wanted to get feedback on that configuration. I’ll put that in my post...
Don't use someone else's complaints as your standard. Take a test drive before you decide to throw money at something that might not even bother you or exist.

Reactions: Vawlkus
For the wind noise. Stick a piece of foam in the a pillar from the hole when you open the door.

I did it and it’s gone. Then it rained and the foam got soaking wet. So I took it out.
Still thinking about what to stuff in there that’s more water resistance.

i got mine in dec2019. 2020 model is pretty quiet. Definitely more quiet than my Subaru from before.
Around the same noise level as a Glk.