Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Temp Setting in Cold Weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously this is a personal choice, and everyone may have a different view, but now that the cold weather is starting to appear, and it will only be getting colder, just wondering what people have been setting their cabin temp (with the objective of minimizing range hit)? It may change when it starts getting really colder but I have been NOT using the Auto setting and when I am in the car alone, 19.5 still seems very comfortable.

Curious what other people are doing, and what people who have been through a full winter with their cars have experienced.

(I appreciate that you can effectively turn the temp off and use an electric blanket and seat heaters but I am assuming no other “external” heating sources” - just a combination of heated seats and cabin temp).
Thx

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
18 or 18.5C, fan on manual at level 2 with vents to feet and outside air. Two inner dash vents closed, two outer dash vents aimed at the windows Keeps the car warm enough and enough airflow to the windshield until about -15 or so at city speeds; fan speed to 3 once it gets down to -15, fan speed to 4 for -20. If fan at 4 isn't keeping the windshield clear, then I change the vent setting to windshield and let my feet get cold for a while. If I'm Supercharging then I crank the heat up for a while, and obviously if there's icing over or visibility problems then I do whatever it takes to get that fixed but usually those settings will keep everything working properly without absolutely killing the range. Seat heaters and steering wheel heater are awesome, but don't keep the windows clear of frost.

Since you have a 3, you might have to play around with your settings.

• Informative
Reactions: Viv ki Bijli
Not really cold yet in southern Ontario but I’ve been using the seat heater on 1 (after warming it up on higher) and the temp set on Auto at 19 (higher if I feel cold) using vent and feet. Rear seat airflow off.
I don’t work so I don’t commute and have no range issues.

It would be nice if it stayed on the last setting on power up. I have to keep turning off the rear seat airflow and resetting the front seat vent/feet on power up.

Sig cars are notoriously cold in the winter - I get a draft that Tesla can’t see to fix, so it’s around 22-24 in the winter for me. Summers fine at 21ish. Wife won’t drive it In the winter as she likes the radiator hear from her Edge. Can’t blame her really.

Hopefully the 3 is better. :)