Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin temperature shooting up while SC’ing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am SuperCharging my MYLR for the first time. As I was walking away from the car, there was a loud fan sound coming from the car. This is normal, yes?

My real question is that I am sitting in a restaurant while the car charges. It is a sunny day in Louisiana, around 78°. I am looking at the app, and the cabin temperature is shooting up really fast.

I know the car has a lot of windows and a glass roof, and I live in an area with intense sunlight, but I am not sure that would have the cabin temperature go up by 25° in a matter of minutes?

And when the climate control kicks in, with the air set to 72°, the cabin temp drops dramatically in just a few minutes. Like, much faster than you’d think A/C could lower the temp from 99° to 72°.

Do I have a bad sensor that says the cabin in hotter than it really is? Or is there another explanation?

Please and thx.

Thanks. Like I said, it just seemed fast even taking the Sun into account. And the temperature decrease seemed too fast as well.

I will say that I have been surprised at how fast the interior temperature goes up sitting in the sun and how fast the car cools down. Having the app to look at has made me more aware of the interior temperature. A car in the sun heats up very fast.

Reactions: squirk
Thanks. Like I said, it just seemed fast even taking the Sun into account. And the temperature decrease seemed too fast as well.
Have you ever tried turning off the HVAC and just sitting in the car with the windows closed on a sunny day? My money is on you being physically uncomfortable within 3-5 minutes and within 10 minutes, you'll want out.

These cars have a large green house. For summertime Supercharging we always use our HeatShield. And keep climate on is your best friend when you leave the car.

Have you ever tried turning off the HVAC and just sitting in the car with the windows closed on a sunny day? My money is on you being physically uncomfortable within 3-5 minutes and within 10 minutes, you'll want out.
I just got the car yesterday, so, no. I never would have dreamed that the car would heat up to 99° so quickly.

The temperature decrease speed can be explained by the awesomeness of the Tesla's HVAC. I'm not joking.

Then color me duly impressed. I likewise never would have dreamed it could cool that quickly

Being that the roof it basically a giant magnifying glass and from reports
here I expected it to be hot on hot days but not 30 plus degrees hot on cold days . I tried cracking the windows a couple of inches and that did not really help.I wonder if that sensor
is really accurate or not or if it's in place where excess heat accumulates. Because a few times I have gotten in and it's warm but not 100 degrees warm. So you have to run the air conditioning to keep the cabin from bursting into flames ? Doesn't seem like this is very Environmentally friendly. Maybe a Solar powered fan would
help.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mike_TV
I put a datalogging temp sensor in the cabin last night. going to track the temps.
It would be nice if there was a way to drop all windows an inch or two to get the outside air in from the app. Solar powered fan in one of the Windows . How do the aftermarket internal Roof Shades Work . Really with this much temp differential this
might be harnessed as a Energy Source.
I saw vent displayed on an App online but don't see it on the current app.

I worry about the long term effects of this on the materials and electronics and of course it's damm unpleasent to get into a hot car with burn your butt black seats
on a hot day . (I don't think it would be much better for the white seats either)

Last edited:
I put a datalogging temp sensor in the cabin last night. going to track the temps.
It would be niche if there was a way to drop all windows an inch or two to get the outside air in from the app. Solar powered fan in one of the Windows . How do the aftermarket internal Roof Shades Work . Really with this much temp differential this
might be harnessed as a Energy Source.
Under 'Climate' in the app, look for a button called 'vent' on the right hand side, next to the temperature setting.

ALL cars will heat up in the sun. Tesla is not notably worse in my experience.

Perhaps you should sell your Tesla if it is causing you so much concern.

Reactions: howardnj
But then you are burning Energy in a car that is suppose to save Energy .
Also I tried(both settings with and without AC) that and it doesn't seem to do much.
The AC works but your are burning your charge more) Also I am willing to bet
that cars with a Solid Roof run 20 to 30 degree's cooler if they are not
painted Black. At least all mine have run cooler .

First thing I did is order a Dash shade but it doesn't Help much.

Last edited:
I have my maximum temperature set at 100 degrees when parked outside in the sun. I don't give a rats a$$ if my Y uses a few watts to keep the cabin temperature at 100 degrees. While in Florida when I get in the super heat pump cools the interior rapidly. I sometimes open the windows for a few minutes while starting to drive in the hot sun.

Reactions: jpfive
Being that the roof it basically a giant magnifying glass and from reports
here I expected it to be hot on hot days but not 30 plus degrees hot on cold days . I tried cracking the windows a couple of inches and that did not really help.I wonder if that sensor
is really accurate or not or if it's in place where excess heat accumulates. Because a few times I have gotten in and it's warm but not 100 degrees warm. So you have to run the air conditioning to keep the cabin from bursting into flames ? Doesn't seem like this is very Environmentally friendly. Maybe a Solar powered fan would
help.

I live in Florida. The car gets hot in the sun. All cars get hot in the sun here. Unfortunately for humans, the Tesla app tells you the actual temperature, which causes anxiety. Maybe it's too much information for some.

I don't have any sort of cabin cooling running and the car sits in the sun all day ... along with hundreds of other cars in the same parking lot when I am at work. It's not a big deal. The car will not burst into flame.

Just for the record, we didn't get the car to be environmentally friendly or to save the planet. We just really like the car.

Reactions: howardnj
Where is the this vent command I don't see it on my App?
I have seen those aftermarket roof shades some that act as a
closable sun shade and look like an electric shade . I wonder how
much they will lower the temp. Prices range all the way from 100 to
700 bucks . Usually found on Alien Express. And reviewed by
the usual Ytube Tesla content people .
Anybody have any of those.

One of things about this car is it appeals to everybody .
Car guy (well some car guys)or Environmentalists or Tech Nerd.

Last edited:
Where is the this vent command I don't see it on my App?
I have seen those aftermarket roof shades some that act as a
closable sun shade and look like an electric shade . I wonder how
much they will lower the temp. Prices range all the way from 100 to
700 bucks . Usually found on Alien Express. And reviewed by
the usual Ytube Tesla content people .
Anybody have any of those.

One of things about this car is it appeals to everybody .
Car guy (well some car guys)or Environmentalists or Tech Nerd.
Lower right corner on this pic I found:

I am SuperCharging my MYLR for the first time. As I was walking away from the car, there was a loud fan sound coming from the car. This is normal, yes?

My real question is that I am sitting in a restaurant while the car charges. It is a sunny day in Louisiana, around 78°. I am looking at the app, and the cabin temperature is shooting up really fast.

I know the car has a lot of windows and a glass roof, and I live in an area with intense sunlight, but I am not sure that would have the cabin temperature go up by 25° in a matter of minutes?

And when the climate control kicks in, with the air set to 72°, the cabin temp drops dramatically in just a few minutes. Like, much faster than you’d think A/C could lower the temp from 99° to 72°.

Do I have a bad sensor that says the cabin in hotter than it really is? Or is there another explanation?

Please and thx.
All of this is normal.

Ok first results from remote Sensor(Sensor Blue) sitting on the car charger .
Cloudy day out outside house temp monitoring says 60 degrees.
( One of two outside weather sensors)
Tesla app says 83 degrees . Remote sensor says 70 degrees.
This tells me that the Tesla Sensor is wildly off or perhaps in hot spot
position.
This is what I am using

Also when I bring up the list for all options in the Tesla App there is no Vent App
Selection. Wish there was.
Phone app settings Tesla.jpg

Last edited: