TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cable in the car or connected to the EVSE?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by widodh, Apr 16, 2012.

?

Cable in the car or not?

1. Cable in the car

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Cable permanently attached to EVSE

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

This has been a discussion for some time now: Dedicated storage spot for UMC?

What do you think?

I'm going for a seperate cable for multiple reasons:
    - Protects against vandalism
    - It will keep my cable in tact, fixed cables will wear sooner since people care less about them
    - My cable will be clean instead of laying in a puddle of water for some hours/days since the last user didn't hang it back properly
    - It makes converters easier, you can have different plugs on both sides of the cable, like: http://zooi.widodh.nl/ev/tech/charging/mennekes-to-tesla-cable.jpg

In Europe with the Type 2 connectors there are no fixed cables, except for the CHAdeMO stations, but that is obvious due to the thickness of those cables.

No, I still want the cable in my car and plug it into the EVSE and the car.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

My thought is that it will only take one cable theft to sour the EVSE provider (that is, the business that put in an EVSE) on the entire idea. While the cable can be stolen from an EV just as easily, it won't affect the cost of EVSE operation. So although I'd like to not carry the cable, I think it's the best thing for EVSE acceptance.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Exactly why I don't want to carry a cable. Dirty in my car. And not the good kind.