Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cable theft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2 week old Tesla 3. My charging cables both the black UK one and blue one plus the safety kit were stolen from the boot well of the car last week.
I have absolutely no idea how anyone gained access as there is no sign of any forced access.
The dash cam only goes back to my last journey which is not long enough.
Has anyone any idea how access could have been gained to the boot (trunk).
Do these cars have a security breach?
Is there anyway of tracking the cars movements over a period of time ie boot opened at time/date so I can narrow down the likely place the theft took place.

Be grateful for any advice or similar stories.

I have a 2 week old Tesla 3. My charging cables both the black UK one and blue one plus the safety kit were stolen from the boot well of the car last week.
I have absolutely no idea how anyone gained access as there is no sign of any forced access.
The dash cam only goes back to my last journey which is not long enough.
Has anyone any idea how access could have been gained to the boot (trunk).
Do these cars have a security breach?
Is there anyway of tracking the cars movements over a period of time ie boot opened at time/date so I can narrow down the likely place the theft took place.

Be grateful for any advice or similar stories.
Never heard of anything like this. Unless the car was unlocked for some reason and an opportunist thief discovered this?

I’d check that you have the car set up correctly to lock when at home or elsewhere.

I have the ‘honk when locking’ as I still don’t trust the car and like the audible reassurance. In 18 months, it has never failed to lock when I walk away.

You would think a security notification would have been on the screen the next time you got in the car. Did you check all the folders on the USB? It might not be in the rolling footage, but bookmarked in the other folder.

So if the key/phone is left in the car the car won't lock? We had an odd thing happen but we were in our garage at the time. My wife came home, opened the trunk (boot :) ) for unloading then shut the driver's side door; however, her phone was still in the car. While unloading the trunk the car had locked all the doors and, when we tried the door, the car said to use the keycard. Mind you now, the trunk is still open during this. After closing the trunk, the doors could be opened even with the phone inside the car.

As @jjrandorin mentioned, the car was probably unlocked.

I have been working from home and let a housemate drive my Model S for the past 3 months. After 2 months, I noticed in the app that the car was never locking when he was at the office or away on business trips. While he did have it set up to lock under his profile, he had set up an Easy Entry profile which did not have it set to automatically lock. Fortunately, nobody noticed it was unlocked during those two months or if they did, they never bothered the car. We showed him how to set up auto lock on the Easy Entry profile and now it locks reliably.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl and Adam3
Never heard of anything like this. Unless the car was unlocked for some reason and an opportunist thief discovered this?

I’d check that you have the car set up correctly to lock when at home or elsewhere.

I have the ‘honk when locking’ as I still don’t trust the car and like the audible reassurance. In 18 months, it has never failed to lock when I walk away.
I have it on walkaway lock - and always wait for the honk. I don't think It can be left unlocked on these settings when not present. I have a feeling that the phone bluetooth was intercepted. I have been reading many on line stories about such tactics. My remedy is to cut off the phone access to the car for unlocking and buy one of those Faraday cases for the card key. I have to say that Tesla have been really unhelpful, I thought it would be in their interest to look into this.

while it could be possible to jack the signal to fake the key and unlock the car - why would a thief go to all the trouble of doing that only to steal some cables out the back (when they now have access to drive away with the car).
Sadly much more likely that it wasn't locked. I've done that enough times to beat myself up about it.
BTW Unlocking from the app will also leave it unlocked.

No it was broken into away from home. How close does the phone have to be to allow access?
I have read of situations where people park next to their homes and the car is unlocked while they are in the house. usually on the other side of a wall. basically it depends on the Bluetooth strength of your phone transmitter. Make sure you have walk away lock set correctly and working properly. It really sounds like it was somehow unlocked.

I've noticed a few times, today in fact, that the car throws a warning saying walk away unlock will not work because it lost the connection with the phone. Even though the phone is inside the car and has not moved from its location in the cupholders. In that case I use the fob to lock the car as I walk away. Usually when I come back to the car it will unlock automatically. If it doesn't, fob to the rescue.

Last edited:
Where was it parked? Where you perhaps in your home but close enough that it could see your phone and unlock?
I think you are probably right. There was no sign of any entry to the car, there was no card or phone in the car. It locked after I walked away but if I was inside a house close to the car I suspect a crook can still open the car as bluetooth maintains the easy access. One bitten twice shy - I now turn off bluetooth after the car has locked.