Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CAD Drawings in the Reveal, what can we learn?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LargeHamCollider

Battery cells != scalable
Jan 10, 2015
United States
image.png

A few obvious things:
1. 8 battery modules implying that the range upgrade gets you an extra ~33%
2. AWD version available.
3. 4 wheel disc brakes.
4. AirVents for the rear seats.

I suspect much more can be gleaned.

Battery pack layout is interesting. With a 4 x 2 layout it would make sense you would have either 8 packs or 6 to not disrupt the front/rear weight distribution. Lets assume the car base car has a 60kw battery that would equate to 10kw per module density and the "big" battery would then be 80kw. The modules have to be standardized for mass manufacturing so I would expect they are identically sized. The module placement in the large pack must be flexible in where it gets positioned. Because if you did 4 in the front and 2 in the rear it would really mess with the front/rear weight distribution of the car. It would have to be 3 x 2 or 4 x 2.

Some additional observations:
The rear suspension looks standard setup with normal shocks. The front looks like the air system, something funky going on there.
The wheel hubs are shown to be a standard 5 bolt setup, the prototypes looked to have center lock design like used in racing. My friend has that setup in his Porsche. You have to utilize a special high torque wrench setup to get that sucker off and on.
Ton of structural metal in the rear of that car. Expect the use of aluminium back there to manage the weight.

Steel for structural support, aluminium in the rear and panels is what I expect which was echoed on a few of those ride videos from the event test drives.