Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CAD exchange rate and Price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering to purchase MX, but with the recent Ontario rebate cancelation, it's suddenly 14000 more expensive now.

Does anybody know if canadian prices change from time to time because of Cad/Usd rate changes? If yes, then how often? Is there some kind of a pattern: once a month or once a quarter, etc?

As of now CAD is pretty cheap, so i'm wondering if the current prices reflect that and will change if the rate will be better in future.

Well, my configuration is 124400 cad. If I convert it into USD using current rate it will be 96450. The same configuration on USA tesla site is 95300. So, CAD price is slightly higher than USD.

I was hoping that maybe someone who has been watching canadian prices for a while could comment on the canadian price change history.

Does it change frequently or is it always set to a specific price at the same time as USD price is announced and doesn't change untill next global tesla price update?

The Canadian cars are subject to duties since the batteries are made outside of NAFTA. So that added up to 5% or so I believe. If anything our dollar has sunk since the last price adjustment. If they do another one shortly I would expect our prices to rise.

There seem to be dozens of Model X and S cars with more than 2,000 kms but which have been used as service loaners or test drive cars. These cars make way more sense now that the $14k incentive is dead. I was planning on getting a loaner, but one that still qualified for the incentive. They cancelled the incentive on the day I was going to do the deal, but in a way it wasn't a bad thing since it opened up many other great cars that had much bigger price reductions.

Price reduction on my 100D was $32,500.

Bluelines, I'm interested in 75D and there are currently only 9 cars (canada wise) and most of them new with no price incentives. A couple of demos that they have now are not in my preferred configuration. So, there is no much choice at all.
Did you negotiate the price on the demos? Do they even do negotiations? A sales guy I was talking to refused any price discussions even for demos (Toronto).

Bluelines, I'm interested in 75D and there are currently only 9 cars (canada wise) and most of them new with no price incentives. A couple of demos that they have now are not in my preferred configuration. So, there is no much choice at all.
Did you negotiate the price on the demos? Do they even do negotiations? A sales guy I was talking to refused any price discussions even for demos (Toronto).

I had a similar situation. When I first talked to Tesla (in the Oakville store, since I happened to be in the area), they said the same thing: there was one Model S 75D for sale in all of Canada and no mention of any demo or loaner cars. It was actually a really embarrassing experience, since the guy in the Oakville store knew almost nothing about the car, but promised that a sales person would call me (never did). When I spoke to the team at Yorkville, they showed me a pretty big list of available 75Ds and 100Ds in my preferred colours / configurations. That list got exponentially longer when I was willing to take one with more than 2,000 kms.

No negotiations. They just have fixed "price adjustments". Originally I was going for a 100D with about 1,400 kms and a $12k price adjustment. When the EV rebate was killed, I went for a 100D with more kms but also exactly the options I wanted and with the $32.5k adjustment.

The Canadian cars are subject to duties since the batteries are made outside of NAFTA. So that added up to 5% or so I believe. If anything our dollar has sunk since the last price adjustment. If they do another one shortly I would expect our prices to rise.

The NAFTA content of the S and X did not meet requirements so they are subject to a 6.1% duty (built into the price). The 3 meets the content requirement due to the batteries being manufactured in the US and not in Asia as with the S and X.