Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac ELR compared to the Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate to put myself in the position of coming to Lithium's defense in any way, but... I've never seen another online forum where threads were consolidated in this manner. I find it confusing and unnatural, and it does cause noteworthy posts to get lost in the depths of huge threads sometimes. I think I would feel rather put out if I started a thread and had it moved into another one. Whose idea was this??

No different than the dozens of forums within FlyerTalk where moderators do the exact same thing.

I find it very suspicious that this troll/OP needs to have his/her own separate thread on a subject (comparison of Model S to ELR) that has been covered before, especially when the troll/OP won't respond to any of the plethora of posts pointing out the often gross misstatements other than to say "I need my own thread!" Sorry, but I'm just not seeing any reason to come to the troll's defense.

I hate to put myself in the position of coming to Lithium's defense in any way, but... I've never seen another online forum where threads were consolidated in this manner. I find it confusing and unnatural, and it does cause noteworthy posts to get lost in the depths of huge threads sometimes. I think I would feel rather put out if I started a thread and had it moved into another one. Whose idea was this??

That makes no sense. It's much more confusing to have multiple threads on "Cadillac ELR vs. Model S" than to consolidate them all in one thread -- and that's only on one topic. If every time someone brought up the same subject in a thread that has been discussed, and it stayed as a separate thread, this place would become so scattered and unorganized and difficult to search. I've been on many online forums and most people search first and post in the proper thread and only start a new topic if it's not been previously discussed, and if it's an issue that's likely been discussed, they start the thread with something like: "Sorry if this has been discussed here before, I searched but couldn't find it...." Thread consolidation is very common on other online forums, just like it is here, unless forums are poorly or not moderated.

That makes no sense. It's much more confusing to have multiple threads on "Cadillac ELR vs. Model S" than to consolidate them all in one thread -- and that's only on one topic. If every time someone brought up the same subject in a thread that has been discussed, and it stayed as a separate thread, this place would become so scattered and unorganized and difficult to search. I've been on many online forums and most people search first and post in the proper thread and only start a new topic if it's not been previously discussed, and if it's an issue that's likely been discussed, they start the thread with something like: "Sorry if this has been discussed here before, I searched but couldn't find it...." Thread consolidation is very common on other online forums, just like it is here, unless forums are poorly or not moderated.

Very tidy way to do it. I use the search function a lot on the forums I participate on, and this is the only forum that works so hard to merge on topic threads together, making a search more concise.

Last edited:
I find it very suspicious that this troll/OP needs to have his/her own separate thread on a subject (comparison of Model S to ELR) that has been covered before, especially when the troll/OP won't respond to any of the plethora of posts pointing out the often gross misstatements other than to say "I need my own thread!" Sorry, but I'm just not seeing any reason to come to the troll's defense.

Suspicious for sure.

Maybe he does not get paid unless his post is in it's own thread and/or get a certain number of replies?

They shut down the thread on the ELR forum, finally.

I had to check it out and the moderated posted this:

I think we're done here. This is the fourth time you've pointed back to your article and said every fact is correct while ignoring posts point out the errors and calling them gear chatter. Your article is factually incorrect and highly biased, but since you aren't actually open to honest discussion, this thread is over.

It seems like that forum has very good moderators too.

Good speculation, being that he put effort into that post AND he has shared the same post on other PHEV forums. mmmm

Do folks actually make decent coin for penning reviews and posting to sites? I'm just not Internet savvy.

I think that must be it. Posting an inane, easily refutable piece of drivel and insisting that it be its own thread, and repeating the same behavior in other forums. Thank you moderators for not allowing this nonsense from someone who obviously has motives other than to share discourse and ideas from repeating itself.

Speaking of moderation... this is well off-topic for the thread. I'm tempted to move this content to Site Feedback or Off Topic but it would be a confused mess. So I'm drawing a line in the sand here. Anything further that is unrelated to ELR versus Model S will be moved to Off Topic.

The entire post seems like a purchase justification. Why the need to point out that the Model S is a dangerous to refuel car (wrong) and doesn't suit anyone for a daily driver (also wrong) here is odd.

Yes, this Lithium guy tried to post his nonsense under the name Idleup on both the Cadillac ELR forums and GM-Volt.com, and got laughed off both of them. Many of us think he bought this car oblivious to all the problems it had, and is now desperately trolling every forum trying to get a least one person to agree with his made up "facts" and disingenuous logic. Even die-hard Volt/ELR owners were rising to the defense of Tesla in the face of such utter nonsense as Lithium/Idleup posted. He really lives in his own fantasy world where only magic ELRs exist that have specs only the faeries have seen.

I was struck by how he manages to say so little with so many words. His post could be summed up with:

- The Model S is more expensive than the ELR.
- I like knobs, buttons and dials.
- The ELR is a complex piece of engineering, which is good.
- The Model S is a complex piece of engineering, which is bad.
- I think charging networks suck, and you might die using them.
- I would experience range anxiety in a Model S.
- Good 0-60 times are unnecessary, if not downright silly.

Also, I take offense at the suggestion that the picture of the Leaf and Model S in Oslo is in a bad neighbourhood! Norway is very safe. ;)

My difference with the ELR is strictly on price. It's unjustified considering it's a rebadged Volt. You could completely customize the Volt inside and out and still be $20K under the ELR. Your 0-60 would still be the same too. What Cadillac should release is a 0E version of the CTS!