TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cadillac ELR (Converj)

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Takumi, Jan 12, 2009.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Cadillac Converj concept

Volt mechanicals, Cadillac body.

Cadillac-Converj-Concept-i03.jpg
    600-converj.jpg
    0901_01_z+2009_cadillac_converj_concept+front_three_quarter_view.jpg

'Coupe De Volt'

2. graham

graham Active Member

Interesting... I suppose I should have expected a Cadillac version of the Volt, but it had not occurred to me. I wonder what the price premium will be?

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I have never owned a Cadillac, and don't consider myself a "Cadillac man", but that is fairly cool looking I think. (Or maybe I am just getting old)

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

6. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

Bob Lutz says it will cost "about two Volts."

I think they'll have to upgrade the battery pack. People who buy a car that looks like that will punch it at every opportunity. Then they'll wonder where their 40 all-electric miles went. Shades of Jeremy Clarkson.

I like it too. [Walter Brennan]Now where did you young whippersnappers put my eatin' teeth?[/Walter Brennan]

7. doug

Woah... a Walter Brennan reference. I get it, but I wouldn't expect the other young whippersnappers to.

Yeah, I agree about more battery capacity. Do we know the cost of their batteries? A few extra kWh's, even if people don't use it often, would help consumers swallow the price differential.

8. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#10 stopcrazypp, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
    I remember they made a rebuttal to the claim that they are $1000/kWh by saying they are many hundreds less per kWh.

Our Real-World Learnings Differ From CMU Study | GM FastLane

Taking Elon's claim of a $36k replacement cost for the 53kWh pack in the Roadster puts the Roadster battery price (not necessarily the same as cost for Tesla) at $680/kWh.

9. domenick

domenick Nerd

Kokam who have a good, energy-dense cell and decent cycle life are saying theirs are now $850/kWh but expects to get below $500.

10. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

11. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

12. doug

13. doug

14. ljbad4life

ljbad4life Member

This was always the direct competitor to the Fisker Karma, If GM can pull it off, then that would damage the karma far worse than the Model S ever could.

GM already has the Volt at a 0-60 time of 8.5 seconds, shave off another .6 second in ev mode and it matches the Karma exactly. Get 5.6 in "sport mode" which is easily achievable (the karma uses a GM engine). I'm betting GM can do it and with less weight.

15. doug

And less noise. They also have the more efficient drivetrain.

16. ljbad4life

ljbad4life Member

did we forget.....almost 50k cheaper!

17. doug

Despite some folks making guesses, we don't really know anything about pricing yet. Also this concept so far is a 2-door, which might make it a slightly different segment.

18. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

I don't think Cadillac would compete with Fisker. I don't think people who want to buy a Fisker would want to be seen in a GM car.