Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac ELR (Converj)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And here's the official answer:

2016 Cadillac ELR at the 2014 L.A. Auto Show | Edmunds.com

There will not be a 2015 ELR.

Oh... but wait! There will be a 2016 ELR with "engineering enhancements" (translation: we had to make it faster to compete with Tesla) that will go on sale sometime "in the first half of next year" (translation: June 2015).

From the article: "Car shoppers will note that there is no 2015 Cadillac ELR. [Cadillac spokesman David] Caldwell explained that this is a 'technicality' based on when the car debuted around January 1, 2014" (translation: It's going to take another year to sell off the 2014 inventory, so Cadillac is skipping a model year).

Its also very possible that its being based on the 2016 Volt, which hasn't been debuted yet. Rumors are that the new Volt will be significantly cheaper, and will seat 5. There's also talk of multiple battery size and cost options, but I think when translated to the ELR the most significant change will be cost. I'm willing to bet the car will launch in the $45-$55,000 that almost everyone believes it always belonged in.

Faster isn't going to help much. Add a MUCH bigger battery and get rid of the Exhaust pipe and you might be able to compete with Tesla.

Depends on the customer. Those with range anxiety or a commute of less than 40 miles daily might not want an EV-only solution or need an 85 kWh battery. Others might just prefer the ELR's appearance over the Model S. Still others may want features offered in the ELR that the Model S is lacking, such as Adaptive Cruise Control and Regen Paddles. Every customer is different, plus the ELR and Model S are also very different vehicles.

Depends on the customer. Those with range anxiety or a commute of less than 40 miles daily might not want an EV-only solution or need an 85 kWh battery. Others might just prefer the ELR's appearance over the Model S. Still others may want features offered in the ELR that the Model S is lacking, such as Adaptive Cruise Control and Regen Paddles. Every customer is different, plus the ELR and Model S are also very different vehicles.

I agree. I don't think the ELR is supposed to compete with Tesla, they're different kinds of cars.

I agree. I don't think the ELR is supposed to compete with Tesla, they're different kinds of cars.

It's not supposed to compete with Tesla, but up until only recently, GM executives represented it that way. The Cadillac website still defaults to a head-to-head comparison with the Model S.

Had the ELR been able to achieve comparable 0-60 times with the Model S (which, from an engineering standpoint, would seem impossible due to the smaller battery size of the ELR), that one statistic would have justified the crazy price and encouraged a lot of CTS-V owners to trade up, let alone rich Volt owners waiting for their luxury version.

Why, oh why, would anyone WANT regen paddles? I'm reminded of the arguments before the Model S was first delivered, when all the roadster owners loved just having regen on the power pedal, and many not-yet-owners wanted it somewhere else, or non-existent, or something. I think the overwhelming response now is that it's pretty much correct the way it is.

Why, oh why, would anyone WANT regen paddles?
I want anti-regen paddles. Sometimes I just want to "sail" or "coast" without regen. I'd love to be able to squeeze a paddle to prevent regen from kicking in while canceling cruise control for example.

But back on topic (sorta) I heard on Marketplace today that Cadillac was moving their HQ to New York. Just the suits, (execs and marketing), not engineering, production, etc. While I'm sure the engineers are thrilled to get some distance from the suits, I don't see good things coming from this move. Seems like an expensive (moving, flying back and forth to meetings, and eventually giving up and moving back) boondoggle to me.

I want anti-regen paddles. Sometimes I just want to "sail" or "coast" without regen. I'd love to be able to squeeze a paddle to prevent regen from kicking in while canceling cruise control for example.

But back on topic (sorta) I heard on Marketplace today that Cadillac was moving their HQ to New York. Just the suits, (execs and marketing), not engineering, production, etc. While I'm sure the engineers are thrilled to get some distance from the suits, I don't see good things coming from this move. Seems like an expensive (moving, flying back and forth to meetings, and eventually giving up and moving back) boondoggle to me.

Yes, and I also heard today on NPR at some point (don't remember when as I was in and out of the car a lot today), that New York was second only to London as the most expensive place to have an employee. Not a good move if you don't need to have your employees in New York.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
I still have not seen any owner cadillac show a picture where proudly displayed next to the car, why?

Because nobody actually owns any ELRs. Even an idiot is smart enough not to waste their money on it. They are currently knocking off $19k off the price at dealerships not even including the $7500 rebate and they STILL can't sell any. They need to drop the price to be $35k-$40k to start selling some of these.

Even an idiot is smart enough not to waste their money on it.
That seems excessively harsh. If you want a luxurious interior with adaptive cruise control and a plug in hybrid, but don't care about acceleration, The ELR might be a car to consider.
(Personally, I do care about acceleration, and wouldn't consider the ELR, but others have different priorities).

Blastphemy, I'm not sure you'll convince many people here that regen paddles are a better idea. I feel like that's like trying to convince us that there should be one wheel to turn the car right and another to turn it left. You can argue about how the two wheel solution allows you to choose to have the car go perfectly straight, but the applications where you want perfectly straight are fewer than the applications where you'd prefer one continuous control. Completely straight is rarely optimal, and a complete lack of electric torque (acceleration or deceleration) is rarely optimal.
Most of us Tesla owners are used to the one-control system, and feel like regen paddles would be a completely unnecessary complication.

woof, if you really want to, you can shift from cruise control straight into "Neutral" with one simple click of the shifter. Going back into "Drive" after doing that is pretty simple as well (no need to put your foot on the brake). That being said, I feel like it's just as easy to simply have my foot on the go pedal when I cancel cruise control.

Blastphemy, I'm not sure you'll convince many people here that regen paddles are a better idea....Most of us Tesla owners are used to the one-control system, and feel like regen paddles would be a completely unnecessary complication.

These two posts are a great example of why a vehicle that gives drivers choices is considered luxurious. In the ELR, I can do one-pedal driving by leaving the car in "L" all the time. But if I want to coast, I can put the car in "D" and use the regen paddles to slow down. Either way, I rarely touch my ELR's brake pedal.

Because nobody actually owns any ELRs. Even an idiot is smart enough not to waste their money on it. They are currently knocking off $19k off the price at dealerships not even including the $7500 rebate and they STILL can't sell any. They need to drop the price to be $35k-$40k to start selling some of these.

That's like saying someone is an idiot for spending in excess of $100k on a car (i.e, Model S) with limited range and excessive refueling times that doesn't have some of the luxury features found in cars half its price, and isn't even faster than a $65k CTS-V. People want what they want, and some "idiots" want a pure BEV and are willing to pay for it, while other "idiots" want a plug-in hybrid that looks better and is more comfortable than many cars double its price and are willing to pay for it.

ELRs will never sell new for $35-40k because that's what the Volt costs. The ELR's styling, luxury features, handling, traction, quiet cabin, and sound system easily justify a $20k premium over the Volt. But I agree with everyone that it isn't worth $40k more than the Volt...not without 0-60 in 5 seconds and an improved C.U.E. system.

Last edited:
The guy in my office who works next to me told me his good friend sells Cadillacs.
To date this year, they have sold two at his friend's dealership, and they still have two more to sell.
Before the end of the year.
They are taking $28 K off of the list price to move them, and if they are still there @ Christmas, the dealer then will take even more off the sticker.

The dealership isn't worried, because they are selling every Escalade for full sticker they can get their hands on.

Oh, and Cadillac/GM will be pulling the plug on the ELR.
Off into the Sunset... Happy Trails to you.

This is another example of the industry not understanding the market. I would not mind paying 75k for essentially a 2-person coupe (in fact my BMW 650 was substantially more expensive), but at that price point I want not only quality materials but also performance. Fisker Karma (r.i.p.) and the ELR had same problem - acceleration on par with a 25k sedan despite excellent interior and gorgeous looks. I test-drove the ELR and the Fisker, loved everything but was utterly disappointed by the performance. Compare that to the Tesla grin you see in every YouTube clip of test-drives. In my mind Tesla is so successful because the smile it puts on your face when you step on the "gas" pedal. Can't wait to get mine - only couple months left, but who is counting?

10,000 plus miles on my ELR and could not enjoy it more. Very, very few issues with the car since new and all were cosmetic. Car will run quick (as most EV's do) and surprises most folks that are initially left 4-6 car lengths behind at a light. If an S wants to drag race from a light it is obvious that it will be quicker to the next light, however, if there are no more lights and the road continues to wander you will definitely pass them when they run out of juice and have to park for a coffee, donut, dog walk, bathroom break, selfie-shot and recharge....and the ELR continues to add car lengths to the race via gasoline.

Best of both worlds.

Even though I also own an ELR, after attending the Hawthorne event on October 9th, I'd trade in my Cadillac for a Tesla Model S P85D with Auto Pilot in a heartbeat if it wouldn't be such a silly financial decision. A fully loaded P85D is twice the price of a fully loaded ELR (with current GM fire sale discounts of ~20% off), but there's just no contest after riding in a P85D and seeing it in action.

Now for sure I can't wait for my wife's Model X to arrive next year! Can't wait to see what "enhancements" GM brings to the 2016 ELR; I suspect we'll all be chuckling when we see the "improved" specs.