Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Cadillac Introduces Luxury Electric SUV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The Cadillac LYRIC electric luxury crossover was debuted by the automaker Thursday.

The LYRIQ is based on GM’s next-generation, modular electric vehicle platform, expected to offer “beyond 300 miles of range on a full charge,” according to a release. The vehicle will be offered in rear-wheel drive and performance all-wheel drive configurations.

The LYRIQ is expected to go on sale late in 2022. Cadillac is calling the vehicle it debuted a “show car,” which suggests the production version will not be the same.

“Led by LYRIQ, Cadillac will redefine American luxury over the next decade with a new portfolio of transformative EVs,” Steve Carlisle, executive vice president and president, GM North America said in a release. “We will deliver experiences that engage the senses, anticipate desires and enable our customers to go on extraordinary journeys.”

Cadillac-LYRIQ-026-1024x660.jpg

Cadillac-LYRIQ-001-1-1024x682.jpg

The LYRIQ is powered by GM’s new Ultium battery system, which offers “approximately 100 kilowatt-hours,” according to a release. LYRIQ offers DC fast charging at rates over 150 kW.

A unique feature of the interior is a 33-inch-diagonal LED screen that spans the viewing area for the driver and incorporates driver information details, infotainment controls and camera views. GM says the new display has the highest pixel density available in the automotive industry.

Check out Cadillac’s livestream of the unveiling above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet another case of too little too late....

They can't even build enthusiasm for their car, the unveil felt..dull, and they're still two years out? WTF? if I was GMs CEO I'd be pretty frustrated.

I guess Tesla really did, and has continued to catch lightning in a bottle. Tesla made big promises with the model S, and that created enthusiasm. They delivered on those promises incrementally, and built up their fan base. Now everyone else keeps playing catch up.

Perhaps with the continued development of the public charging network it'll make it easier for other EVs to break into the market. But I tell ya, its like caveman trying to build a light bulb, while Tesla is fixing panel gaps on a spaceship.

Yet another case of too little too late....

They can't even build enthusiasm for their car, the unveil felt..dull, and they're still two years out? WTF? if I was GMs CEO I'd be pretty frustrated.

I guess Tesla really did, and has continued to catch lightning in a bottle. Tesla made big promises with the model S, and that created enthusiasm. They delivered on those promises incrementally, and built up their fan base. Now everyone else keeps playing catch up.

Perhaps with the continued development of the public charging network it'll make it easier for other EVs to break into the market. But I tell ya, its like caveman trying to build a light bulb, while Tesla is fixing panel gaps on a spaceship.

Are we really going to complain about "2 years out" when the CyberTruck is half a decade away? Please. This Caddy blows away the Y and X. It will sell like hot cakes, especially amongst older people.

Are we really going to complain about "2 years out" when the CyberTruck is half a decade away? Please. This Caddy blows away the Y and X. It will sell like hot cakes, especially amongst older people.

5 years? I think Tesla is going to rush the CT out in the next couple years, it might be unfinished but that's expected coming from Tesla. They get it close, and finish up the loose ends after the early adopters go through hell. They have the fan base to do this. Plus I have a feeling the LYRIC will be competing against the second gen MX.

I hope LYRIC does sell, Tesla needs proper competition. I don't know about old people being the primary buyers tho, most of the 50-70's I meet have difficulty using technology and are resistant to change, and as they say "This isn't your grandpa's Cadillac.".

I am the biggest fanboy for Tesla.

I am so happy to see some sort of competition out there. Be honest, Tesla is no longer the Tesla before. Quality and service down last few years. It's not like we buying a GEO Metro here. I can't even talk to a real person when it comes to service. Everything has to go thru app and service appointments always 2 or 3 weeks out.

I love the performance and technologies that Tesla provides but in term of service and quality no where near any other luxury car manufacturers. Last in JD Power quality survey. I just bought a 2020 MX Performance for my wife and I had mobile technician to my house almost every other week for some small annoying issues.

For Elon, his goal is to crank out as many cars as possible and as fast as possible. Does he worry about the quality? Absolutely not. All he worries about is to show sales growth and profit so he can make BILLIONS from the company stock going up. Just look at all the fit and finish issues with Model Y. That's just so wrong.

Hopefully with competition Tesla will bring out their A game.

Blows the Y away? It will undoubtedly be more expensive - I'm thinking in the $100,000 range. It has four seats instead of the Y's 5 or 7. It charges at 150 kW instead of the Y's 250 kW. How is the Lyriq more compelling today, let alone two years from now?

Last edited:
Reactions: kmacm20 and EinSV
Really.... "OLDER PEOPLE".... you have to be kidding... older people are not technology driven... 10 years ago the average Cadillac owner was 63 years old, but i do think the number has got a little younger since.... But I do think you are misled... this will not sell like Hotcakes, in 2-3 years.... it will be one of many offerings on the market for electric... GM is just going to be very late to the party

While the interior is nicer than the model x and y, its giant screen is nothing but a gimmick and will serve as a constant reminder of missed opportunities. Given GM's lack of commitment to computers and software, it will likely never live up to its promise. It will receive few useful features when launched (no it will have ridiculous graphics to annoy you every time you use the car), it will not receive any meaningful updates and any new features will require you to purchase a whole new vehicle. the hardware will be severely limited based on what external suppliers can supply on any given year. Atleast Audi has announced that they are going to run the car off a single computer like Tesla.

I should note that I have personal experience as a former owner of a Cadillac with their newest computer. I spoke with the GM infotainment team in Austin on numbers occasions. I see no reason to believe that the company has changed the way they operate.

Last edited:
Interesting take from several of you. Polarized like a permanent magnet motor. In the absence of facts as none were provided such as cost or battery innovation, this is merely a discussion of emotion and a function how people are invested in the markets.

Volume will be low, over the air updates will lag by years, battery chemistry is unknown. Cost well over $100K + subscriptions but they'll likely start at $79k and upsell required features that are standard in the 2013 Model S. I did not hear the 1 Million mile battery already promised, so already a change in direction perhaps?

I wish them all the best.

Really.... "OLDER PEOPLE".... you have to be kidding... older people are not technology driven... 10 years ago the average Cadillac owner was 63 years old, but i do think the number has got a little younger since.... But I do think you are misled... this will not sell like Hotcakes, in 2-3 years.... it will be one of many offerings on the market for electric... GM is just going to be very late to the party

I would like to see the Stats for those who bought the Model S when they were the only game in town. If I recall it was all 50 and above, maybe I’m wrong.

Don’t get me wrong, Tesla is still king but they will need to step up, especially with their SUVs and interiors.

Isn’t this what we wanted? Competition?