Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac kills the ELR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard Cadillac went electric, plug in too
lying awake believing that it was so true
If I was wrong it would have made me feel so blue
Oh oh

They took to market on their car for you and me
A new machine built up on new technology
But now I understand the problems that they see
Oh oh

I never saw one
Oh oh

What’s this thread tell me?
Cadillac killed the E-L-R

Lack of commitment broke that car
Oh, a-a-a oh!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a shame that Cadillac never had an ad like one of these that aired during the Super Bowl:

Audi R8 Big Game Commercial – Commander – Extended Cut - YouTube

Acura NSX - What He Said (Big Game Commercial) - YouTube

2016 Kia Optima | Walken Closet “Big Gameâ€￾ Ad - YouTube

The All-New 2016 Prius | Heck on Wheels #GoPriusGo | Toyota - YouTube

The All-New 2016 Toyota Prius | The Longest Chase #GoPriusGo | Toyota - YouTube

Any one of those is better than the "Poolside" ELR ad that made owners look like a$$holes and made GM look arrogant and out-of-touch.

Just compare those last two Prius 4 ads to the lame-ass Volt adds GM has been running:

Chevy Volt Battery Technology: Time Capsule | Chevrolet - YouTube

Volt Electric Car Range: Elevator :30 | Chevrolet - YouTube

2016 Chevrolet Volt Electric Hybrid Commercial - YouTube

It's no wonder that GM couldn't sell the ELR. Yes, the car was overpriced, and yes it wasn't fast enough, but good advertising can overcome products' shortcomings, and Cadillac failed at every level. It didn't help that Cadillac executives never missed an opportunity to bad-mouth their halo car.

I heard Cadillac went electric, plug in too
lying awake believing that it was so true
If I was wrong it would have made me feel so blue
Oh oh

They took to market on their car for you and me
A new machine built up on new technology
But now I understand the problems that they see
Oh oh

I never saw one
Oh oh

What’s this thread tell me?

Lack of commitment broke that car
Oh, a-a-a oh!

Dammit, you beat me to it. Ohmman you are always first to do things like this. Its like you have omens...

EDIT: You picked the video without legendary composer Hans Zimmer playing keyboard.

Here he is @ 2:53

Here's a nice graphic of the Cadillac ELR story. Thanks, Jeff.

This latest failure begs the question as to what the folks at Cadillac are thinking. And as one who bailed them out (admit it, so did YOU!) I am sharply disappointed that GM was not required to make a more serious commitment to environmentally friendly vehicles.

Attachments

• Cadillac ELR Fails.jpg
    Cadillac ELR Fails.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 291
CT6 PHEV appears to be a very good vehicle and should do well in China.

But trying to sell a $70k plus made in China vehicle in the USA is going to be a tough road to hoe for Cadillac.

BTW The base MSRP for the 2016 ELR is $57.5k.

IF the 2014 had a MSRP of $55k it would have been a success IMO.

CT6 PHEV appears to be a very good vehicle and should do well in China. But trying to sell a $70k plus made in China vehicle in the USA is going to be a tough road to hoe for Cadillac. BTW The base MSRP for the 2016 ELR is $57.5k. IF the 2014 had a MSRP of $55k it would have been a success IMO.
For the past couple years people have been getting them at $20-$25k under MSRP, and that made for a much more reasonable price. They did have more power than the Volt, but definitely not Tesla-league.

I don't think GM actually wants to sell any PHEV CT6es, at least in the US. The current head of Cadillac was formerly at both Infiniti and Audi, delayed/killed EV's at both marques, and has made disparaging remarks about EV's in the press in the past.

Ford's C-Max commercial response to ELR ad

you forgot about that catchy "I'm better than you" commercial. That ELR had that too.

Did I say catchy? i meant pretentious.

After watching the ELR commercial above, you HAVE to watch Ford's response starring Pashon Murray, founder of Detroit Dirt. Makes a total mockery of Cadillac's pretentious ELR ad. I'm not sure I ever laughed so hard in my life!

The problem is structural. I lease a Volt and it has been a nice interim vehicle until my Tesla comes through. The ELR is complex like the Volt in term of its drive train with its many clutches and motors. I am not surprised that it came from a company whose core competency is ICE power train design. I hope the Bolt is successful for them. I am looking foward to my future Tesla.

For the past couple years people have been getting them at $20-$25k under MSRP, and that made for a much more reasonable price. They did have more power than the Volt, but definitely not Tesla-league.

I don't think GM actually wants to sell any PHEV CT6es, at least in the US. The current head of Cadillac was formerly at both Infiniti and Audi, delayed/killed EV's at both marques, and has made disparaging remarks about EV's in the press in the past.

A coupe is a fashion statement and has to grab sales the first 18 months.

The MSRP discouraged a large number of people that wrote it off.

Very few people look for distressed premium cars at dealerships in the $70k plus range for large discounts.

Johan de Nysschen is head of Cadillac worldwide including China.

While JDN has a lot to say about Cadillac product the final word is Mary Barra.

And Mark Reuss has a lot to say about Cadillac USA product lineup.