Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac must live in a different world

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately my car showed a "parking brake error" and disconnected all driver assist features, so Tesla picked it up and since it was a Sunday the service center was closed and they drove me to Enterprise to get a rental. They first gave me a Ford Expedition, I can now apply for the local transit authorities to drive buses ! With just about 6000 miles on the odometer the whole steering controls where not working, so I replaced it and got a Cadillac XT5.

Before starting my "rant", the good things:

1.) Interior quality is great, at less than half the price much better than the MS
2.) Apple car play is nice
3.) Blind spot warning is much better (I think it is completely worthless in the MS)

Now to the rest of my experience. As usual as an MS driver, when stepping on the accelerator, one expects that the car moves immediately and does so fast . Not so with the Caddy. Not expecting much I already floored it to get some power, so step, wait, wait, wait ROOOOOAAAAAARRR , some form of acceleration and finally at about 4000 RPM and ear-battering noise some noticeable acceleration. So I thought this must be one of those new 4 cylinder engines with 200 HP or so given the sound and power. So I went on the web to look it up. 3.6 Liter V6 with 310 HP ! But reading what Cadillac thinks about it I had to laugh loud:

The 3.6L V6 engine with 8-speed automatic transmission delivers effortless acceleration that takes you to highway speeds quietly and smoothly, while the responsive handling keeps you feeling firmly in control.

They must have never driven a Tesla !

So besides the terrible drivetrain, the user interface is just as bad. After 4 days I still haven't figured out how some of the stuff works. When I got the car, the AC was blowing like hell. I saw an AC icon on the touch screen and could set the fan speed but no auto mode. After a while I figured out that there is an auto mode BUTTON under the touchscreen where the AC touchscreen controls are duplicated. Once this is pressed, you suddenly see an AUTO icon in the touch screen, BUT pressing it toggles between on and off and NO auto, DUMB !

After finally done with the AC I want to go back to the main screen, but how ? Looked through all icons, clicked on some, but no home. AHAAAA the home button for the touchscreen is NOT at the touchscreen, it is BELOW outside of the screen. DUMB.

Next I tried to adjust the radio volume. There are "low" and "high" arrows but touching either of them does nothing, touching in between does nothing either. After more fiddling, AHAAAA one has to SLIDE with the finger like a touch pad. Ok, selecting the radio in the touchscreen, same slider appears there but there sliding does NOT work. DUMB !

Fuel and cooling temp must be VERY important for a Cadillac because gauges for those are almost as big as the whole Tesla dash. But speed must be something so special that beside the HUGE speed gauge, you have it TWICE in the small display to the left and right PLUS another one if selected in the middle ! 4 times showing me same speed ? SUPER DUMB ! (see picture below)

I lost the count how often I left the car running. So the car keeps running and music playing even if one walks away and LOCKS the door, DUMB !

I never liked the start and stop automatic but now experienced that this can even be dangerous. I parked the car in front of a small pond at a coffee shop. Motor stopped , I took my wallet, opened the door, one foot out, moving the other from the brake and car starts and creeps towards the pond ! I don't think that this only happens to Tesla drivers because colleagues driving cars which do not require a key being in a lock telling me that they also walked away with running engine.

Can't wait to get my car back later and after that experience I can't understand why people buy this crappy ICE's. I take the 35k Model 3 any time over this 50k Cadillac ! And Cadillacs supposed to be the "cream of the American Car" !

Caddy.jpg

This is a problem. After driving an EV for any length of time, it's really hard to go back to driving an ICE car - mostly because of the annoying things they do in the 0-30 range.

This seems to be true for almost any EV, and almost any ICE car, at least as a daily driver. I have to believe it means EVs will be taking a big share of the market relatively soon as folks start to figure it out.

Reactions: Jeff N and GSP
@joer00 OMG! I 100% understand. We are having to look for a new vehicle. So, we started looking at all the luxury SUV/Xovers. I read about the new Cadillac XT5 and told the wife when she was in the area of the local dealer to just stop in an look at it.

Well, I get a text message and she says 'I am in Love with this'. So, she scheduled a test drive, drove home picked me up and we went back to the dealer. Since it is going to be her car, I let her drive and I sit in the passenger seat. She pulls out of the dealership and I am listening to the engine and feeling the motion, because acceleration would be an overstatement. We go on about a three mile test loop and swap. I get in the car and I start driving. I get on the gas a little heavy, the engine winds up, the exhaust goes VAROOOOOOM, the tach is nearly pegged, and we are going 25 MPH. Honest to Goodness!. I laughed out loud. We kept driving and I am asking the sales guy, Is there something wrong with this car? It is just not accelerating. I drove the test circle literally three times trying to figure out if it was in valet mode, if the parking brake was on, what was wrong. We pulled in the parking lot, parked the car and handed over the Key FOB and left.

I get home and I spent hours on the computer trying to figure out the Cadillac, as my fist car in 1980 was a Subaru DL and it was a racecar in comparison. I even did a spreadsheet with the performance numbers from C&D for several compatible vehicles. I'm saying to myself, there is no way in Hell C&D did 0 - 60 . 6.7 seconds in the XT5, not even downhill, with hurricane force tailwinds . They have the decimal in the wrong place, or the wrong car.

So, the next day, we were driving about 50 miles away to look at MB and Lincoln. I told the wife on the drive up, that there was another Cadillac dealer in that area, so I wanted to stop in and ask them about our experience. We pull in and it is a small family run dealership and I talk to the GM and his son. I explain the underwhelming lack of power and literally asked if all the XT5s are like that or could we have driven a car with a major problem. They said, that they had one on the lot and we were welcome to test drive it. So, the wife gets in the driver's seat. we go out to the main road, which is a six lane divided state road with a 50 MPH speed limit. She turns right and mats the pedal. VAROOOOOOM. The XT5 is pegged, the motor is just screaming and she turns to me and says I have this floored and we were doing 35 MPH. She was able to then let off the accelerator, slow down and turn back into the dealership parking lot.

These are as honest of words as I can write.

I told the General Manager, who was riding with us, "I want to publically apologize to all of those Cadillac owners that I have cussed out while on the Interstate for over 30 years for driving so damn slow. I was wrong for the words that I used, the names that I called you and the assertions about your age having an influence on your inability to drive the speed limit" (God's Honest Truth). "Little did I know that you were driving a vehicle that was unable to accelerate or maintain the speed of the flow of traffic"

I don't know what GM is thinking about with this new XT5 platform, 3.6L V-6 and 8 speed transmission but they have some SERIOUS ISSUES if they think the new design will overcome the moped like power and acceleration.

If the saying is true "As goes GM, so goes the nation", we are tee-totally screwed as a nation. I don't know of a single car from a Kia, Hyundai, Fiat, etc that will not out perform the new flagship Cadillac XT5.

Thanks for allowing me to share.

Last edited:
@joer00 and @MikeJr74, you guys are cracking me up!

I am 100% completely on the same page with you. It just flatly amazes me that a car company, with more resources than many countries in the world, cannot spend some of those resources to see the REALITY of the world.

I actually don't know what else to say except that it is such a huge disappointment to me and portends the future of the USA. GM isn't alone in this thinking and behaviour by any means.

Except Tesla can't build a Model X with any acceptable level of quality. We waited 3 years and were more than willing to spend $145,000 until they had a disastrous rollout that we could not accept the vehicle. So, we bought a Volvo XC90 T8 which in less than four months is being bought back by Volvo because of electronic issues. Then the Cadillac experience. The automobile industry seems to be in turmoil. I love my Model S, though.

Precisely why Tesla gives the ICE luxury brands a good reason to join the modern world and stop pedaling dinosaurs powered by liquid dinosaurs. Without Tesla we would be perfectly content drinking the ICEd Kool Aid.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Except Tesla can't build a Model X with any acceptable level of quality. We waited 3 years and were more than willing to spend $145,000 until they had a disastrous rollout that we could not accept the vehicle. So, we bought a Volvo XC90 T8 which in less than four months is being bought back by Volvo because of electronic issues. Then the Cadillac experience. The automobile industry seems to be in turmoil. I love my Model S, though.

Very true, Which why I am asking that regular big auto put in the electric power train in their cars. We will have great fit, finish and quality with a power-train to match.

Reactions: ABCCBA
Very true, Which why I am asking that regular big auto put in the electric power train in their cars. We will have great fit, finish and quality with a power-train to match.
"Regular big auto" is not going to put electric power train in their cars. If they did they would lose the billions of dollars they have invested in ICE. Only new starts like Tesla can afford for this technology to become mainstream.

The cars coming off the line now are much better than the early months. Even mine with Production VIN 06xx has been very good. I had some fit and finish issues but all have been quickly addressed. The car has been great with our five kids - one in car seat - and dog.

Please take another look at the X.

The cars coming off the line now are much better than the early months. Even mine with Production VIN 06xx has been very good. I had some fit and finish issues but all have been quickly addressed. The car has been great with our five kids - one in car seat - and dog.

Please take another look at the X.
I looked at the X
....Then looked at my wallet
Then looked at the X
....Then looked my wallet
Then looked at the X

Then Cried......

• Funny
Reactions: Old Wyseguy