Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac Super Cruise almost here - Motortrend drives it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On AP1 I have to verify the lane is clear myself before initiating an auto lane change per the manual. So, its sort of auto.

Does AP2 have further capabilities with this over AP1? I am too chicken to test it with the AP 2 loaner I have

Not yet. Completely autonomous lane changes were promised for eAP, and that's the main reason for the rear/side camera pair, but Tesla hasn't released that code yet.

On AP1 I have to verify the lane is clear myself before initiating an auto lane change per the manual. So, its sort of auto.

Does AP2 have further capabilities with this over AP1? I am too chicken to test it with the AP 2 loaner I have
Yes, the driver always has to check the lane themselves, but what I am saying is that the system also has its own criteria before it even allows it. It doesn't always just allow you to initiate the change no matter what. So there is theoretically an extra level of safety on top of the driver checking. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Az_Rael

Bad link in the text from that manual.
Map Updates Super Cruise map information must be periodically updated at least once every seven months to determine whether Super Cruise is available on certain roads. The vehicle’s built-in Wi-Fi hotspot must be on to receive automatic updates via OnStar, or see your dealer. See the following region-based URLs for relevant Super Cruise map open source compliance documentation, including the license information: North America: http:// www.oss.gm.com/GMNA/7E2/supercruise

Yeah, um...still not buying one of these. Even if it makes toast.

No, the 120v outlet is not rated at enough amps to make toast.

If you think about it, for the average responsible driver it's pointless. It's not a commuter car. The back seats have more amenities than the front seats do. Privacy curtains, your own sunroof, reclining massage seats, dual entertainment screens with wireless stereo headphones, 120v power, etc. So you have a driver, and all they have to do is steer. If they nod off, the seat vibrates, chimes sound, and the car eases them back into the lane. Do it enough, and it sounds an alert to put your hands back on the wheel. Not sure what happens if you continue to drive like a drunk though. Not sure I want to find out.

This is the 2016, not the Super Cruise model. All the Super Cruise add-on does is steer. Duh, what ELSE is there to do with your hands. Don't answer that. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: calisnow
So how is this better than (or even equal to) autopilot? Don't get me wrong... It seems like a solid system albeit with a different hardware approach but with the 15 second nag it's basically equal to Mercedes's system on the S550 from 2014. The current E class would best this and Autopilot would best it by far.

Not to mention I'm personally a fan of onboard hardware that's capable of assessing current surroundings and reacting to them versus a "dumber" system that requires accessing a database of lidar data for accuracy. In that respect I think GM's system is handicapped when compared to Autopilot and whatever Mercedes calls their system. I think it's drive pilot or something like that.

This is so far from the truth considering Mercedes has one of the worst level 2 system. this is supposed to be fixed this fall when they release drive pilot 4.5.

But currently it has by far one of the worst l2 systems. AP1 and Volvo pilot assist 2 far surpasses it, but super-cruise easily trumps them all.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
A quick note to GM engineers: OK team, this autonomous vehicle stuff is really hard, even harder than ignition switches! The folks over in Silicon Valley who invented the internet are even finding it to be quite a challenge. So, sharpen up your pencils, and start putting your backs into it!

RT

Who says I don't make an effort to encourage GM. :D

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
A quick note to GM engineers: OK team, this autonomous vehicle stuff is really hard, even harder than ignition switches! The folks over in Silicon Valley who invented the internet are even finding it to be quite a challenge. So, sharpen up your pencils, and start putting your backs into it!

RT

Who says I don't make an effort to encourage GM. :D

Listen to the gal engineer sporting leather and stilettos when she whispers of things to come to pleasure us with...

Autonomy will come 'sooner than you think' says GM CEO Barra

By the way... Who else sells a street car that balances itself when flying through the air at 175mph? Flying Car Logic, by Chevrolet. In a freakin' Camaro!! HAHAHAA!!! Eat that Ferrari!

imageshandler.jpg

So how is this better than (or even equal to) autopilot? Don't get me wrong... It seems like a solid system albeit with a different hardware approach but with the 15 second nag it's basically equal to Mercedes's system on the S550 from 2014. The current E class would best this and Autopilot would best it by far.

Not to mention I'm personally a fan of onboard hardware that's capable of assessing current surroundings and reacting to them versus a "dumber" system that requires accessing a database of lidar data for accuracy. In that respect I think GM's system is handicapped when compared to Autopilot and whatever Mercedes calls their system. I think it's drive pilot or something like that.
As I understand, the 15 second nag is only if your eyes aren't on the road for that long. I think that's better than today when I have to keep looking AWAY from the road to see if my Tesla is nagging me to put my hands on the wheel. You really should have your eyes on the road every 15 seconds anyway of course.

I really hope the supposed interior camera in Model 3 will be used to stop nagging the driver if the car can determine his/her eyes are still on the road.

I agree. It would be nice if the M3 AP2 has 'hands-off' Autopilot. But they need to get it in the Model S/X. If the M3 has hands-off, and the MS MX does not, that is going to be a financial problem.

Reactions: DIL

Now I'm kicking myself for not fighting more with my wife to wait for Super Cruise. Not because it would be helpful, but so I COULD PLAY WITH IT!!! :D

Seriously, we had a logical family discussion of the merits of waiting for Super Cruise. We both agreed that for our family it was a silly option. We got a smoking deal on the 2016. Less than our 2009 CTS-V.

This is so far from the truth considering Mercedes has one of the worst level 2 system. this is supposed to be fixed this fall when they release drive pilot 4.5.

But currently it has by far one of the worst l2 systems. AP1 and Volvo pilot assist 2 far surpasses it, but super-cruise easily trumps them all.

I think it's important to add that this was done purposely by MB. They intentionally made it bad so people wouldn't have too much faith in it.

In does make sense to some degree. Of course everyone else went the other way with L2.

"A nice touch: capacitive sensors detect the driver’s hand(s) on the wheel, eliminating the need to wiggle it to verify control as with some lane keep assist vehicles."

some = as in Tesla and MB.

Haha.

I hate the torque based sensor that Tesla uses. I get warnings even when I do have my hands on the steering wheel.

Reactions: boonedocks