Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac SuperCruise better than Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Semantics. You have to move the steering wheel at regular intervals. Yes, you can have your hands off for a few seconds.

Not true. And proves my point that A)Doug was spreading misinformation and B)most Tesla owners themselves, dont read the owners manual on their app.

Holding and/or touching/moving The steering wheel is just ONE option to keeping autopilot engaged. It is NOT mandatory.
(And NO. Im not referring to this):

For TESLA Model 3 Y S X Counterweight Ring Control Steering Wheel Booster Newly | eBay

One has multiple options made available by Tesla to keep AP engaged, some of which do NOT require touching the steering wheel at ALL to keep AP engaged.....

Last edited:
Not true. And proves my point that A)Doug was spreading misinformation and B)most Tesla owners themselves, dont read the owners manual on their app.

Holding and/or touching/moving The steering wheel is just ONE option to keeping autopilot engaged. It is NOT mandatory.

For TESLA Model 3 Y S X Counterweight Ring Control Steering Wheel Booster Newly | eBay

One has multiple options made available by Tesla to keep AP engaged, some of which do NOT require touching the steering wheel at ALL to keep AP engaged.....

Are you talking about touching the scroll wheels or the turn signal? What other options are there?

Dude this is dumb. You have to constantly engage the wheel. That’s a PITA IMHO. I would prefer head/eye tracking as that seems less intrusive. I may as well steer myself if I constantly have to keep my hands on the wheel (ever x second). This is one of the two reasons I rarely use autopilot (legacy enhanced autopilot). The other is the fear of phantom breaking. Had that happen a few times thus only try autopilot out now when there are no cars within .5 miles behind me

Reactions: InternetDude
Dude this is dumb. You have to constantly engage the wheel. That’s a PITA IMHO. I would prefer head/eye tracking as that seems less intrusive. I may as well steer myself if I constantly have to keep my hands on the wheel (ever x second). This is one of the two reasons I rarely use autopilot (legacy enhanced autopilot). The other is the fear of phantom breaking. Had that happen a few times thus only try autopilot out now when there are no cars within .5 miles behind me

Many find it so easy to simply rest one hand on the wheel and drive AP for miles and miles. Funny to imagine some denying themselves that pleasure for simply failing to discover how to rest one hand on the wheel.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Are you talking about touching the scroll wheels or the turn signal? What other options are there?

On model s, scroll wheels, control stalk. All options approved and noted by Tesla.

stating the ONLY way to keep AP engaged is via holding or turning the steering wheel, is factually incorrect.

How one feels about the other options is irrelevant. what’s relevant are facts

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: tonyb99
On model s, scroll wheels, control stalk. All options approved and noted by Tesla.

stating the ONLY way to keep AP engaged is via holding or turning the steering wheel, is factually incorrect.

How one feels about the other options is irrelevant. what’s relevant are facts

If you are talking about the video he says you have to tap the steering wheel every so often. The scroll wheels are part of the steering wheel. The turn signal is also mounted to the steering column. Your facts are not relevant. What is relevant is hands off driver monitoring vs hands on, how well the systems work and, do they make my driving experience more convenient.

If you are talking about the video he says you have to tap the steering wheel every so often. The scroll wheels are part of the steering wheel. The turn signal is also mounted to the steering column. Your facts are not relevant. What is relevant is hands off driver monitoring vs hands on, how well the systems work and, do they make my driving experience more convenient.

You are factually, incorrect on multiple points.

Lets start with #1. Doug states the ONLY way to keep AP engaged, is via "holding the steering wheel". That is not true. Period
#2. The stalk is NOT part of the "steering wheel". It is attached to the steering column.

Thus, in laymans terms, my argument is accurate, as Tesla provides other options to just holding/applying torque to the steering wheel in order to keep AP engaged.

• Disagree
I did not disagree with your pedantic and childish statement of "facts". The issue is whether regular driver action is required (Tesla) or not (Cadillac). Not a simple answer, since the scope and reliability of the systems varies considerably.

Moving goalposts. Old forum tactic, but easily spotted.

No. The topic (as it related to Doug's inaccurate video and subsequent posts on page 2) was around the false statement(s) made that claimed touching/moving/holding the steering wheel was the only way to keep AP engaged on a Tesla.

My statement was this, as it was/is based on actual Tesla documentation:

"You do not have to/are not forced to keep your hands on the steering wheel or even touch the steering wheel, to keep AP engaged."

Simply put: I, was/am..correct.

Period.

I don't know. I watch a lot of Doug Demuro's stuff and I thought the video was pretty objective. He points out that he thinks the Tesla system is the second best system out there. He notes the shortcomings of Cadillac's system (can only be used on mapped roads etc.) and says that, for him, he doesn't think that's a big deal.

I don't think we need to parse his words regarding whether you have to keep your hands on the wheel at all times in the Tesla system as being misinformative. I took that as, you have to hold the wheel as opposed to GM's system which tracks eyes.

When did we stop allowing people to have their own opinions? Doug believes Supercruise is better -- many here believe it is not. I wonder how many here arguing that Supercruise is inferior have actually, like Doug Demuro, tried both?

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
So it's interesting that all the folks who pile on about how irresponsible it is to use a Tesla nag cheater, for those who drive the Tesla with look maw no hands, seem to be cool with the fallacious idea that human eye monitoring makes the no-hands driving just ducky, is an accurate reflection of responsible or medically sufficient attention. It's not even close. It is perhaps somewhat better than nothing. Both systems hack around the corners of extra alerts but are replete with flaws. However it's done you have to retrain the brain to deal with new technology flying through space. It ain't gonna do it for you. You have to retrain your own brain.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2101Guy
I don't know. I watch a lot of Doug Demuro's stuff and I thought the video was pretty objective. He points out that he thinks the Tesla system is the second best system out there. He notes the shortcomings of Cadillac's system (can only be used on mapped roads etc.) and says that, for him, he doesn't think that's a big deal.

I don't think we need to parse his words regarding whether you have to keep your hands on the wheel at all times in the Tesla system as being misinformative. I took that as, you have to hold the wheel as opposed to GM's system which tracks eyes.

When did we stop allowing people to have their own opinions? Doug believes Supercruise is better -- many here believe it is not. I wonder how many here arguing that Supercruise is inferior have actually, like Doug Demuro, tried both?

Of course opinions are subjective. And that's fine. But (regardless of the last 4 years), actual facts do matter, otherwise, what's bolded above gets passed around as fact, when its not. Again, one does not have to hold the steering wheel in order for Tesla AP to remain engaged. So he was wrong on that fact, because he apparently was ill-informed/didn't read Tesla's documentation.

And to be restricted to highways only, and with only certain highways at that, many would argue that's a notable shortcoming of an AP system.

I mean, some people surely feel Payless shoes are a better value than Nordstrom shoes. All about opinion..

Reactions: PACEMD