Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac SuperCruise better than Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's interesting that all the folks who pile on about how irresponsible it is to use a Tesla nag cheater, for those who drive the Tesla with look maw no hands, seem to be cool with the fallacious idea that human eye monitoring makes the no-hands driving just ducky, is an accurate reflection of responsible or medically sufficient attention. It's not even close. It is perhaps better than nothing. Both systems hack around the corners of extra alerts but are replete with flaws. However it's done you have to retrain the brain to deal with new technology flying through space. It ain't gonna do it for you. You have to retrain your own brain.
Could not agree more. Folks will go OFF at the mention of a nag eliminator type device on a tesla, when in fact, its simply having the tesla mechanically behave on AP the exact same way Cadillac Super Cruise behaves on AP.

Reactions: PACEMD
I suggest for the caddy drivers to drive while napping and put these on

Attachments

• googly.jpg
    googly.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 50
Well, the eye monitoring can't tell when you're intoxicated/high, daydreaming or otherwise distracted, tired but not eye drooping, having an absence seizure, stroke, psychosis, hypoglycemic event, heart attack, many other forms of altered mentation/sensorium, acute visual deficit, just don't give a sh*t, or blah blah blah..........

this is not true.
Not sure what version of autopilot you have but mine requires some interaction with the steering wheel at least every ~45 sec at normal speed. If you’re doesn’t then good for you, I guess? Either way, hands free would be better. Fairly certain most would agree and also strongly suspect Tesla will get there eventually as well. The only reason it’s not is due to some idiots doing idiot stuff and ruining it for everyone else.

Not sure what version of autopilot you have but mine requires some interaction with the steering wheel at least every ~45 sec at normal speed. If you’re doesn’t then good for you, I guess? Either way, hands free would be better. Fairly certain most would agree and also strongly suspect Tesla will get there eventually as well. The only reason it’s not is due to some idiots doing idiot stuff and ruining it for everyone else.

yes, my model S (and it’s owners manual) seems to be quite unique, as I can simply occasionally pull my control stalk located on the left side of my steering column, to keep my AP engaged.

I never have to touch or turn the actual steering wheel.

Have any of you used Super Cruise? I'm curious how long you can glance away before it deactivates? In my Tesla, I rest my left arm on the door sill and hold the wheel lightly with my left hand. This provides enough torque on the wheel that I'm not nagged and it allows me to feel what AP is doing and take immediate control when needed. I drive this way for hours at a time on the freeway. I also enjoy looking around at the scenery since AP handles this use case very well. I would be very annoyed if I couldn't turn my head to the side and look around without Super Cruise deactivating.

Reactions: DanDi58 and 2101Guy
Could not agree more. Folks will go OFF at the mention of a nag eliminator type device on a tesla, when in fact, its simply having the tesla mechanically behave on AP the exact same way Cadillac Super Cruise behaves on AP.

I feel the same way. There's still no liability shift with super cruise, so what is it really buying you? You still shouldn't do other things with your hands, so they aren't really more free and you still have to watch the road. Those limitations aren't bad, but I'm having a hard time seeing the advantage.

Of course, the catch is that I haven't actually tried it yet. Maybe it would all make sense with a hundred miles behind the wheel or something.

I’ve driven three hours once( center lane of a three lane highway) on autopilot without doing a thing/touching anything. Focused straight ahead (AP isn’t going to avoid potholes so i ALWAYS pay attention to the road) and I can’t tell you how well rested and alert I was vs actually driving without AP or with AP and having to worry about the nag..

center lane means less lane changing and less slowing/accelerating for merging traffic

Reactions: jsight
Have any of you used Super Cruise? I'm curious how long you can glance away before it deactivates? In my Tesla, I rest my left arm on the door sill and hold the wheel lightly with my left hand. This provides enough torque on the wheel that I'm not nagged and it allows me to feel what AP is doing and take immediate control when needed. I drive this way for hours at a time on the freeway. I also enjoy looking around at the scenery since AP handles this use case very well. I would be very annoyed if I couldn't turn my head to the side and look around without Super Cruise deactivating.

Just Gen1. You can turn your head for about 8 seconds. That's a long time at 80 mph.