Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac SuperCruise better than Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All these manufacturer's autonomous driving is fantastic on paper or in controlled situations. In terms of GM I believe you can mostly use this on highways, so it has limited use. Tesla's system has been in practical use over the past few years and is constantly evolving. Will Cadillac's system be updated and how- probably have to go to the dealership (how fun).

• Disagree
Reactions: aspushkin
In my opinion, this is the most important part of the article.
"An LED embedded in the top of the steering wheel switches from green to red when the driver needs to take over immediately. That happens most frequently when the car hits a stretch of road that’s missing from or — doesn’t match — its millimeter-detailed map. On my drive, Super Cruise handed back over to me both times I passed downtown Kalamazoo on I-94, presumably because of recent construction."

SuperCruise works great as long as the current road conditions match the high resolution maps, but even minor deviations can cause it to stop working. This driver assistance model is easier to implement, but more difficult to scale to additional roadways and to L4 or L5. Tesla's approach of teaching the system how to drive based on the fundamentals of the observed environment, much like a human does, is much, much more difficult to implement. Once they figure it out, however, it'll be a much easier to scale to handle the low-probably, 6-sigma events that an L4 or L5 system must handle.

In my opinion, this is the most important part of the article.
"An LED embedded in the top of the steering wheel switches from green to red when the driver needs to take over immediately. That happens most frequently when the car hits a stretch of road that’s missing from or — doesn’t match — its millimeter-detailed map. On my drive, Super Cruise handed back over to me both times I passed downtown Kalamazoo on I-94, presumably because of recent construction."

SuperCruise works great as long as the current road conditions match the high resolution maps, but even minor deviations can cause it to stop working. This driver assistance model is easier to implement, but more difficult to scale to additional roadways and to L4 or L5. Tesla's approach of teaching the system how to drive based on the fundamentals of the observed environment, much like a human does, is much, much more difficult to implement. Once they figure it out, however, it'll be a much easier to scale to handle the low-probably, 6-sigma events that an L4 or L5 system must handle.

The only way I can see these high res mapped systems working long term would be states and cities requiring a construction project to always include a remapping of the section once it's complete, which would add to the cost of the projects. Otherwise, roadways change so frequently that I could see this only being supported in key markets (parts of LA, San Fran, Seattle, New York, etc)

However, I would be wildly curious to see how good Tesla's system could be WITH the high res mapping AND the current Tesla FSD beta system....

how can it be superior when it only works on roads that are in GM's list of approved roads/highways and there is zero city driving features/capability?
You have the option to chose “works really well on mapped/approved roads” vs. “works okay on all roads but will try and kill you several times per drive”.

So my thought is that the Cadillac system, on approved roads, is superior in that you don't have to put your hands on the wheel every 20 seconds. Oddly my 2016 Model X did not require my hands on the wheel all the time. I remember driving for up to 20 minutes before I would get the message. While I have never used the Cadillac Super Cruise, it seems to be very robust for a GM product which surprises me. My prior experience with any GM electronics is horrible.

This will be included on the $33K Chevy EUV. Tesla wanting $10K for perma-beta features is a little rich. With Chevy getting the $7K tax rebate, that may prompt some price changes across the EV industry. Maybe we will see the $25K Tesla sooner than we thought.

I just want a cheap car and don't really care about having a status symbol priced car. I welcome the competition. The Hyundai Iconiq being announced tomorrow could make this interesting. All good for furthering EM's electric revolution!

This will be included on the $33K Chevy EUV. Tesla wanting $10K for perma-beta features is a little rich. With Chevy getting the $7K tax rebate, that may prompt some price changes across the EV industry. Maybe we will see the $25K Tesla sooner than we thought.

I just want a cheap car and don't really care about having a status symbol priced car. I welcome the competition. The Hyundai Iconiq being announced tomorrow could make this interesting. All good for furthering EM's electric revolution!

The price is interesting because when you buy a gm vehicle you normally don't pay MSRP at the dealership unless it's a corvette c8.

This will be included on the $33K Chevy EUV.

No, it appears it won't even be an option you can add to the $34k Bolt EUV. (I noticed that you rounded $33,995 down to $33k. o_O) You can't even add Adaptive Cruise Control to the $34k variant.

Super Cruise will be an optional add-on for the $39k Bolt EUV, that costs $2,200. So a Bolt EUV with Super Cruise will cost a minimum of $41k. However Super Cruise will be standard on the $44k Launch Edition.

Something to keep in mind is that even after you have paid for a Bolt EUV with Super Cruise it will only work for 3-years. After that point you have to subscribe to a "Connected Services" plan to continue to use it. (I can't tell for sure but it looks like the plan will cost $24.95/month.)

Note: All prices are MSRP.

This will be included on the $33K Chevy EUV. .... With Chevy getting the $7K tax rebate....
It won't be included or even available on the $33K LT trim and you must buy the Premier trim to option. Also it will be 1st generation Super Cruse and won't have lane change.
GM has also used up the federal tax credit like Tesla.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 7.16.14 AM.png

Last edited:
I really want to drive it to compare. Tbh, I don't really understand the obsession with hands off that seems to be gripping the automotive press right now. Is it really so onerous to put a hand on the wheel?

It does seem like a nice system though. If they keep adding this to cheaper cars it may force Tesla to move manually initiated auto lane change into base autopilot. I can hope anyway. :)