Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac SuperCruise better than Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla ranked higher than supercruise in the Consumer Reports test of driving capabilities and performance:

upload_2021-2-16_11-44-3.png

upload_2021-2-16_11-44-43.png

They stupidly downgraded Tesla for requiring drivers to keep their hands on the wheel which is actually safer because when hands are already on the wheel it is easier and faster to react to road hazards. They also, absurdly, kafkaesquely, downgraded it for operating outside of geofenced highways. And gave the Caddy steller marks for being limited to mapped and geofenced highways that hopefully haven't had any construction since the mapping. .

So on the single most important and the most objective measurement, Tesla won.

On the subjective dimensions it was downgraded (except it won for ease of use also)

-- with the end result being the erroneous and misleading headlines.

Cadillac's Super Cruise Outperforms Other Driving Assistance Systems

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think I would want to depend on 'someone' constantly updating a map that my car is using to navigate, versus the car actually determining road conditions and adjusting. I guess there are benefits to both but it seems to me that the camera and AI-based system that Tesla is using will ultimately trump a map-based system. Kind of like the early navigation systems that were based on a set of DVD's - remember those?!

Reactions: 2101Guy and bhzmark
Until it’s perfect, Tesla’s system should allow the driver to steer without disengaging.

Driving on 2 lane 75 mph rural highways, nobody is centering in the lane. I had to stop using it since it was so unnerving to myself and other drivers.

• Informative
Reactions: Reeler
Personally, I don't think I would want to depend on 'someone' constantly updating a map that my car is using to navigate, versus the car actually determining road conditions and adjusting. I guess there are benefits to both but it seems to me that the camera and AI-based system that Tesla is using will ultimately trump a map-based system. Kind of like the early navigation systems that were based on a set of DVD's - remember those?!

I also remember when drivers drove off of bridges and the like when maps werent updated

Last edited:
what? I center on rural highways. Why don’t you?

No, not with 75 speed limits and no median. Most people bias towards the outer part of the lane. I’m in Texas.

I have an Audi that lets you drive the car in lane keep. The system is a hair behind Tesla on curves, but the fact that you can steer to the outer edge, avoid potholes, etc. makes it much nicer to use.

Reactions: jsight
Doug chimed in with his opinion
I don’t disagree with his view (using it on mapped highways ONLY). However, SuperCruise will not be able to go beyond this limitation!

I've used super cruise I agree with him. It's better because you don't touch the wheel. Touching the wheel isn't that bad but not is obviously better. GM already said they do plan to enable it beyond highways. It's going to be called ultra cruise. I didn't like the car though. I'm not a fan of escalades and ct6 or gas anymore.

"Ultra Cruise's domain would essentially be all driving, all the time," Parks said. "Ultra Cruise would be all the Super Cruise, plus neighborhoods, cities, subdivisions."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jsight
And, now ladies and gentlemen. This is why Tesla FSD is BETTER

This doesn't exist outside of beta. You'd have to consider gm cruise then which is fully shelf driving. The difference is gm tests their products in house and releases completed products so we don't see lots of youtube hype. Not saying either is bad but they both do have self driving coming.

This doesn't exist outside of beta. You'd have to consider gm cruise then which is fully shelf driving. The difference is gm tests their products in house and releases completed products so we don't see lots of youtube hype. Not saying either is bad but they both do have self driving coming.

But, would this work on ANY street or only on PREMAPPed street?
And, BETA means software is in pretty good shape already, not vaporware!
I do agree that eye monitoring is a better way to go.

But, would this work on ANY street or only on PREMAPPed street?
And, BETA means software is in pretty good shape already, not vaporware!
I do agree that eye monitoring is a better way to go.

No clue if cruise will work everywhere we don't get much info on it. I doubt it will come out for another 5 years honestly. The other car manufacturers are slow to release things. I think they are more focused on catching up on electric drivetrains now than anything else.

Tesla is using hd maps. That was a big thing not too long ago in the fsd threads because everyone thought they weren't. I think tesla just doesn't stop on the unmapped areas. Instead it just keeps going in an unmapped area.

I certainly haven’t done 200+ mile road trips with AP never disengaging without my hands on the wheel... but the system is capable of that and likely on all the same highways that Supercruise runs on.

Tesla could turn off the hands on wheel requirement at any time on geo-mapped sections of interstate or freeway that they felt confident on and what... then they would be equal with supercruise? Like it sounds like the major downside is having to touch the wheel... literally a software switch on Tesla’s side. Could GM enable supercruise on all highways at any moment and just require more attention paid? If not, it sounds like Tesla has the edge again. The only part that doesn’t have the edge is the nanny reminder, which Tesla is very boldly saying won’t be needed soon. (I do think it’s a bit foolish of them not to have added a couple other methods to determine if you’re watching the road, especially once they caught wind of systems like Supercruise starting to ship. If they had been able to go hands off on interstates, what would Doug complain about?)

It also should be noted that Tesla can essentially do the same for FREE (well built into the price). Before supercruise could do lane changes, if they were charging for it, it was a rip off compared to the Tesla system’s upgrade price ($0).

I’m curious if the eye tracking system has issues with normal glasses, polarized glasses, sunglasses, etc. Can you keep your hands on the wheel if it can’t see your eyes? Would kinda suck if you’ve got a 200 mile trip heading home but the sun is shining in your eyes and you have sunglasses on... big fancy expensive upgrade and you can’t use it, or you can if you wanna squint for 200 miles ;)