TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cadillac's ELR is not for 'tree-huggers'

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by jkliu47, Jun 23, 2014.

1. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

2. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

3. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

There's a TV commercial on Cincy TV for a huge dealership. They tout the ELR as "Cadillacs' First Electric Car." Slightly misleading if you ask me. Doesn't seem to be helping sales. I'm actually surprised. I thought there would be people who wanted it. Volt owners seem to love their cars and this is a nice looking upscale version. Guess that's why I'm not a businessman.

4. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Maybe they meant "last week"...?

5. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

It costs $70K, about the same as my MS60. Do the math.

6. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Yes, as you'd probably guess I'm aware of the price. Without restating the obvious, I was assuming that people who liked the idea of the Volt would jump on an upscale (Cadillac) version of it. Apparently not. Either way, the ELR and the S60 are in two separate and distinct categories. Capice?

7. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

The few people I know that own it, enjoy it.
    Most people in that price range seem to expect better performance.
    The Volt actually feels quicker from my test drive although the numbers don't show that.

As to the OP, the ELR is a low efficiency short range EV with gasoline afterwards. Better to get a more efficient Volt, or of course, if you aren't tied to gasoline, a Tesla.

Only thing the ELR has that the MS doesn't is a bunch of collision avoidance tech and adaptive cruise control.

8. TomWhiteside

TomWhiteside Member

The ELR is a wonderful marketing vehicle - for Tesla! We have a Volt and have really enjoyed / become addicted to electric motor driving response plus the nice quiet ride. The positive Volt experience led to the financially catastrophic mistake of test driving a Tesla MS - finally succumbing and ordering/confirming an S85 in early June... We have a hybrid Jetta as our road trip car and it uses less gasoline than the Volt on trips longer than an S85's range. Given that, why get an ELR for similar money and have to worry about the added complexity/maintenance of the ICE/Voltec transmission?

9. Electric700

Electric700 Member

If they had made the ELR a four door car with seating for five, I bet the sales numbers would be higher.

10. Vger

Vger Active Member

That decision will get less financially catastrophic when Texas gets connected to the rest of the continent with Superchargers. You will then be selling that Jetta. :wink:

11. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

Yeah, I think people are seeing past the ELR's slick styling and leather and wood to see it's still just a less-practical Volt with lipstick on it. They're not buying it. (Literally)

12. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

A tried-and-true General Motors strategy. See: Cadillac Cimarron

13. Teo

Teo Banned

Good luck with trying to sell a product by insulting your potential customers.

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

There are plenty of Volt owners who'd have bought the ELR if it were $15 to $25k cheaper; there was a lot of interest and excitement from the early Volt adopters that turned to shock and disbelief when they announced the price.

Even if drip-drip-drip at a higher price earns them more a bit more money than a lower price, it's been a terrible PR move.

Saying it's not for tree huggers is again a stupid PR move. The raison d'etre of Voltec is pragmatism, which means that there are a lot of tree huggers who'd buy it. Don't insult your potential customers.

15. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

What is the point of insulting anybody in your commercials?

I remember the gnashing of teeth when some rappers/nba players started "pimping" their Model S.

I said anybody with $70k or more that is willing to join the BEV revolution is welcomed to the Tesla club with open arms in my book.

Hip hop dollars are just as good as Silicon Valley dollars for funding Gen3 and the GigaFactory.