Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Calacanis: Model 3 Drives Like a Porsche at Price of a Prius

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_video link=”https://youtu.be/V0mTVG8YLyo?t=4m32s” video_title=”1″][vc_column_text]Early Tesla investor Jason Calacanis has received delivery of a red Model 3 and shared his early impressions with CNBC.

“Its is an achievement unlike anything in the history of technology,” Calacanis said. “It literally is up there with the iPhone. It drives like a Porsche, it’s incredibly fast, the technology is amazing, it’s rock solid.”

Calacanis is obviously an enthusiastic supporter of the company and has been shortlisted for a “Founders Series” version of each Tesla vehicle.

DGwSZmLUwAExXU9.jpg
Calacanis’ Model 3 (Source: Twitter/@Jason)

He also expressed confidence in Tesla’s ability to meet production estimates. “They’ll get them and they’ll be pleased,” Calacanis said of the line of 400,000 consumers on the Model 3 reservation list.

“Betting against Elon Musk is betting against the future of humanity. It is an incredibly stupid thing to do,” he said.

The video is above, with Tesla discussion beginning at 4:35.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going to draw flames among Porsche drivers. :D
As a Porsche owner who sold one of the most sought after Porsches -a 993 - to buy my S eight months ago, I totally agree with this guy. While I liked the smaller size of the 993 and the fact it was appreciating in value like crazy, I have no regrets. My S is a better car, hands down. And I'm counting on the smaller size of the 3 to largely offset that one advantage of the 993.

Last edited:
Reactions: EinSV
If I was a shareholder, I would not be raising some concerns I have about the Model 3 on public forums.
That man helped save Tesla when it was at it's lowest. He helped cheer up Elon. He can say whatever he wants.

He also owns the very first Model S ever produced. Serial number 00001

I applaud everyone who believed in those first Model Ss

True. I mainly posted to make my "heel" joke.
It didn't read like a joke to me.

Calcanis is a Tesla fan, obviously. His comments were glowing, which is great for Tesla.

And by the way he has actually driven his new Model 3, giving him a foundation for making the statements he did. I have yet to see anyone on TMC post that they have driven a Model 3. So his opinion of the car has some validity.

Last edited:
This is going to draw flames among Porsche drivers. :D

It shouldn’t. We only had a Boxster S, so it’s not like we had a top of the line model but neither do the majority of Porsche owners. The moment we got our Model S our little Boxster felt like a relic of a bygone era whose primary advantage from a driving perspective was its small size and lesser weight. The Model 3 closes the gap there while retw8n8ng all of the Tesla advantages. It’s no contest, IMHO, unless you plan to spend a lot of time at the track or just like the sound of the engine.

Did he just refer to his Model 3 as a "Founder Series" car? I thought they weren't going to do that...

Tesla said they were not going to make a "signature" edition. Founders editions are more exclusive and are delivered before signatures and regular production. Tesla never announced anything about Founders edition Model 3's that I am aware of.

GSP

Another thread, another day of whining

From the POV of a REAL average American -- you know, a $40 - 50k annual income household, the lion's share of TMC members with stock holdings and incomes of 150k+ chatting up Tesla cars are divorced from reality.

Reactions: JeffK
Another thread, another day of whining

From the POV of a REAL average American -- you know, a $40 - 50k annual income household, the lion's share of TMC members with stock holdings and incomes of 150k+ chatting up Tesla cars are divorced from reality.

The forums for a high-end car tend to have higher income folks in them?? So shocking. I believe all Americans qualify as "real", regardless of income, origin, or state of residence. Unless some of us posting are AI? :eek: