Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calais to Beziers Advice ( Sil Vous PLait )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please excuse me for not posting in french but i would appreciate some route advice from my french cousins.
We take delivery later this month of our wonderful new Tesla & have decided to have our vacation in July near Beziers. We were going to book Lake Annecy as it would have been simple to get there using the SC network, however my wife & daughters over-ruled me & said they wanted to go to a hotter region. We drove down to Bordeaux in 2013 in our Citroen Grand Picasso so this journey in our Tesla will be a different experience. I have used the Via Michelin route planner which has suggested A71 A75 route however i think we may struggle with that route as there is a lack of SC's. Would it be feasible to follow the route towards The Alps then alter the route to head South West.
Many Thanks in advance James

Seems to be very easy:
Calais
Senlis
Auxerre
Macon
Chasse sur Rhône
Orange
Beziers...

And you can even stop in Nimes before Beziers so you will arrive with 50% range.

May be in july, you will wait a little bit at the chargers, if the 4000 Teslas sold in Norway decide to come for holidays in the French Rivieira
:wink:

Last edited:
I am not the best person to talk about such long journeys as I have yet to drive one (in early April), but I can recommend EVTripPlanner.com to help plan your journey, and the excel sheet and other remarks in another thread on this forum.
For the rest, enjoy your Model S!

Good morning, thanks for the replies. I'm thinking instead of calais to senlis i might go calais to Matougues which although longer at 201miles it may be less busy going away from paris plus the range should be ok as i will have a 85kw tesla. my route could be Calais to Matougues, Matougues to Dijon, Dijon to Lyon, Lyon to Orange, Orange to Beziers. That would mean skipping Auxerre & Macon as they are only short hops in between. does this make sense? regards J

I would not risk Calais to Matougues; 201 miles is too much I believe. It would not leave you any margin at all and you'd need to drive way below the speed limits and hope it does not rain and there is no headwind.
You may also want to take into account the fact that charging at 100% takes time, much more time than charging at 80%, so all in all you may be faster doing shorter legs, and it would be far less stressful.
Well it is just my opinion, as I said I have not done any such long legs yet, but my first long journey will include a 292km leg that is feasible but will already require quite a bit of attention, I've been told on this very forum...

I would not risk Calais to Matougues; 201 miles is too much I believe. It would not leave you any margin at all and you'd need to drive way below the speed limits and hope it does not rain and there is no headwind.
You may also want to take into account the fact that charging at 100% takes time, much more time than charging at 80%, so all in all you may be faster doing shorter legs, and it would be far less stressful.
Well it is just my opinion, as I said I have not done any such long legs yet, but my first long journey will include a 292km leg that is feasible but will already require quite a bit of attention, I've been told on this very forum...

He should be fine,, depending on the terrain.. 201 miles in an 85 that at ideal is 300 and rated 265, I would hope so.

We should arrive in Calais with about 150 miles range left. top up a charge then head down to Matogues.The calais to matougues is the only part of the journey that i have any form of range anxiety about. infact, we could actually break the journey at this point and stay overnight. The car will be fully loaded with 5 of us and none are small. I would really like to avoid the traffic around Paris, however i will look into all options. cheers All

I would really like to avoid the traffic around Paris, however i will look into all options. cheers All

Good idea. The hôtel in Matougues is pretty, but far from everything. I charged twice there.

If your consumption is too high, you can stop in the supermarket "Auchan" in Saint Quentin. You will find a 44kw Chademo and a 22 kw type 2 plug there. (according to the last news found on "Chargemap")

Last edited:
Seems to be very easy:
Calais
Senlis
Auxerre
Macon
Chasse sur Rhône
Orange
Beziers...

And you can even stop in Nimes before Beziers so you will arrive with 50% range.

May be in july, you will wait a little bit at the chargers, if the 4000 Teslas sold in Norway decide to come for holidays in the French Rivieira
:wink:

I would pick that option. Faster and easier.
Around Paris you should use "Waze" to keep away from traffic. Very efficient (if you have access to a data plan on your smartphone).

Moi qui déteste les bouchons et les voitures qui fument, je trouve qu'il a raison de passer par Reims. En plus, l'hôtel de Matougues est très sympa, mais après avoir discuté avec un employé sur place, ils ne voient pas beaucoup de passage sur les chargeurs.

Par contre c'est un peu juste en terme d'autonomie si il roule un peu vite entre Calais et Matougues.

D'où ma proposition de faire un stop chez Auchan. (pas trouvé d'Ikea sur la route)

Je vais essayer de mettre ça en Anglais pour Grandunion:

I think that it's a good idea to go through Reims, beacause Paris suburbs often look like jellyfish with traffic, and I hate smoking cars in traffic jam.

The problem is to travel quiet from Calais to Matougues, especially if you drive faster than 110 km/h.

So I suggest to find a place to get a little bit of energy. You can find that in IKEA (no shop on the road) in Nissan shops, in Renault shops, and in Auchan supermarkets.

There is one Auchan close to the road, and for the moment, the charge is free.

Thanks for the replies everyone. We are now thinking on leaving England about 10/11 am on Friday & taking the calais /senlis route & staying overnight in Auxerre to break the journey up. I've been checking on Chargemap & many of the charging points are still 3c, however one in the Beziers Auchan is a type 2. I have also found a 3c to type 2 cable for approx 250 euros which is expensive, however we ski in The Alps so it may come in handy. best wishes All

Sorry guys for hijacking the thread...
@LuckyLuke: All I need is a type 2 female plug 32A 3P+N. I see you have them now. Remember I bought the 32A 1P+N from you, thinking it would accomodate 3P+N when it clearly does not...

Last edited:
@Grandunion: Cool store, didnt know about them. Pretty decent prices, even on their wallboxes, but especially on their range of adapters. I built a set of such adapters myself, but all in all I think they ended up being more expensive than on this site. Thanks.