Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calculate Route using Tesla Mobile App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I frequently take trips to places I've never been. Therefore, it is important from a trip planning perspective to know the route and additional in-route charging stops that will be needed.

Today, I have to charge the battery to full and then get in the car and have it "Navigate-to..." to see the details of the trip and the estimated time. It would be so nice if I could either do this on the Mobile App or through a Browser from my desktop.

I envision an option where you specify the starting battery charge with starting location and then the destination. The application would then provide the same output as you would receive when in the car.

I agree. Many times I've been away from my car, and want to know if the car has enough charge to get to my next destination. As is, I have to get in my car to find out.
No you don't. All you have to do is check how much range you have left via the Tesla app and then key that value in the abetterrouteplanner app as your starting charge level and the app does the rest.

I do all my trip planning with A Better Routeplanner on my laptop browser. I can see where having to charge the car to 100% to get your start-of-trip conditions set for an exploratory plan would be annoying. I don't think you need to enter any personal info into ABRP in order to use it, plus it has an app if you want.

I have persevered with ABRP but have never got it to work. It's certainly very very non-intuitive.

• Disagree
Reactions: SilverGS
Beside all the above, I also use "EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla" from Digital Auto Guides.

I found this App quite easy to use and provides Consumption and SoC graphs similar to the one available from the car Energy display screen.

This is very practical if you drive on a road with some hills to estimate your consumption.

The free App has a 500 miles trip limitation, so you might have to split your trip.

Otherwise there is a $.99 monthly or $9.99 yearly subscription with no limitation and allowing saving your trips.

Last edited:
I frequently take trips to places I've never been. Therefore, it is important from a trip planning perspective to know the route and additional in-route charging stops that will be needed.

Today, I have to charge the battery to full and then get in the car and have it "Navigate-to..." to see the details of the trip and the estimated time. It would be so nice if I could either do this on the Mobile App or through a Browser from my desktop.

I envision an option where you specify the starting battery charge with starting location and then the destination. The application would then provide the same output as you would receive when in the car.
I agree, since I pay a $10 monthly subscription to Tesla, I wish I could use the NAP (Navigation on AutoPilot) from my phone.

Also, I wish I could add way points, since I can send locations, using Google map, to the car Display.

This would allow me to select a route, instead of having Tesla selecting a route which is not always optimal.

For example Tesla would pass through a residential area to find a shorter route,
while I would prefer staying on a highway which would be more direct and faster.​

Last edited: