Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calculating battery degradation on buying used S 85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anybody help me check the math on the following,

Considering buying a nicely spec'ed RWD 2015 S 85, but wonder weather the battery was abused or not,

- Car run 129,000 kms (80,000mi) since 2015
- In showroom currently showing 32% residual on battery
- With 282w/km (454w/mi) , the car suggests 82km (51mi) more on this battery
- This would be 82/32% = 256km (159) on a full charge
- 256 x 282 = 72,262kW for a full battery
- With a more typical 202w/km (326w/mi) this would give a range of 329 kms (204mi)
- An with the spec of 161w/km this would be 448 kms (278mi)

If this is the correct way of calculating, the car would have lost over 10% of its spec'ed range and battery capacity.

Can somebody verify, and would this mean this is a bad car?

Of course i can't say if that car's battery is ok, or not, nor if it was abused, or not.
But my Nov. 2014 S85 (RWD) currently has 118k km and shows between 363km and 367km range on the app. at 100%, and the last time i actually charged it to 100% (mid February) it showed 370km.

Thnx for response.To complete the comparison: Can you tell me what your typical consumption is? Tesla quuotes 161w/km, but I hear other drivers quoting between 200-250w/km. This makes quite a difference when the car calculates the typical range.

Thnx for response.To complete the comparison: Can you tell me what your typical consumption is? Tesla quuotes 161w/km, but I hear other drivers quoting between 200-250w/km. This makes quite a difference when the car calculates the typical range.

Yes 200-250w/km is more real world.
It basically depends a lot on how fast you drive, temperature and if it's uphill or downhill.
Highway drive tends to consume more, because you tend to go faster (accelerate more and keep it on) and have less regen.
Do what Widoh say, or if they have the car registered at the app. ask them to take a print screen from the app with the charging lever at 80%, 90% and 100% (they don't need to actually charge the car).
That will give you a better idea.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
How can I register the car at the app? This was done automatically on my first Tesla. On a used car it seems I need to mail copies of ownership paper. For the car trader this Tesla is not his normal business. I certainly can ask him to charge up, but getting the car app registered will be harder.

Challenge with the Widodh-option is twofold. On the one hand, what is the basis for this figure? Will typical range be based on the last 50kms, in this case it would probably show 82/32% = 256km (159mi) on a full charge. Then secondly, with what figure would I need to compare this figure, what would it show without battery degradation. Even with a perfect battery this seems to differ, based on consumption assumptions from the car. If I have the data, I can do the math.

An 85 is likely affected by batterygate and chargergate.
Within about the last year Tesla has via update that lowers the voltage cap cost a lot of 85kwh cars a fair bit of range. Mine lost about 15miles and even the service center said I got off lucky.
They also greatly slowed the supercharging speed from 120kw to 70

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
Can anybody help me check the math on the following,

Considering buying a nicely spec'ed RWD 2015 S 85, but wonder weather the battery was abused or not,

- Car run 129,000 kms (80,000mi) since 2015
- In showroom currently showing 32% residual on battery
- With 282w/km (454w/mi) , the car suggests 82km (51mi) more on this battery
- This would be 82/32% = 256km (159) on a full charge
- 256 x 282 = 72,262kW for a full battery
- With a more typical 202w/km (326w/mi) this would give a range of 329 kms (204mi)
- An with the spec of 161w/km this would be 448 kms (278mi)

If this is the correct way of calculating, the car would have lost over 10% of its spec'ed range and battery capacity.

Can somebody verify, and would this mean this is a bad car?
The cars display of range may not reveal significant battery degradation. (My 90D displays a nearly new full charge range even though the usable capacity of the battery is only about 72 kwh and the real range is only about 70% of the displayed range).
The cars display of wh/mile (or wh/km) tells you about the previous owner. Not much about the car or battery.
Your 256 x 282 = 72 kwh of battery capacity calculation is not useful because it assumes that the cars display of remaining range is accurate. (It could be way off).
I don't think that any of the information that you have there tells you about the condition of the battery.
First, even when new these batteries have a usable capacity around 90% of their nominal capacity. Due to battery management features which preserve the battery. Specifically, the full charge voltage is kept a little low to preserve the battery life. And the battery is never allowed to fully discharge as this can ruin the battery immediately.

But all is not lost. You can discover the true usable capacity of the battery and the true range. It is a bit of a process. The easiest way is if the car has been driven a good distance since it was last charged. And the owner can tell you what the charge limit was when the car was last charged. That is, what battery percent, or what displayed range was the battery charged up to most recently? Assuming that the car has not been sitting around for many days, you then look at the trip computer under "Since Last Charge" and note the "Distance" miles (km) driven since last charge, and the "Total Energy" kwh used since last charge. You then use those values to calculate real range and/or usable battery capacity. In the example that you gave, the car has a charge state of 32%. If the car was previously charged to, say, 80% then the km driven and kwh used came from 48% of the battery (80-32). You divide the km driven, or the kwh used, by 0.48 and results are the km and kwh obtained from a 100% charge.
If you cannot find out about the charge state at the last charge, then you (or the owner) need to take the car on a little trip to obtain these values.
About half way down this page is what the Trips display looks like;
Tesla Model S Web Browser | Agassi TESLA

Last edited:
Here is chart on my 85, went from 245 to 211

Attachments

• IMG_20200213_191213916.jpg
    IMG_20200213_191213916.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 239
I would get a newer 75D and have rich rebuilds put a salvage 100kwh pack and beef it up. That way you save on insurance while driving lightning in a bottle.

Great idea, but getting a battery from Rich to the Netherlands would involve quite some shipping costs ;), and I have not found a battery supplier in Europe. I trust these will emerge in the next few years.

Second issue is it would be a pitty to loose 4-6 years of battery warrantee and other warrantees on a new 75D due to this replacement. I am already a bit worried about maintenance cost as this model S is reaching 4yrs and 129,000kms/80,000mi. (BTW: no difference in Insurance costs here between a 75D and a 100D). Hope some non-Tesla workshops will evolve as well, as the "remove and replace"-policy of Tesla seems quite expensive.