Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calculating Charging Cost at Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question: I have read that when using a supercharger you are charged through your Tesla app
The credit card you have on file with Tesla is charged
Does Tesla use my checking account from where they got my check for the car's down payment?
No
I see nowhere to input and apply a credit card.
Login to your Tesla account through the Tesla website. Add a credit card account if not already done, or you will not be allowed to supercharge in the future.

Sagebrush, I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this.
I regularly see the charging rate at around 38-39 miles per hour with the 240v and 47a wall connection.
So, to figure this I divide the 165 miles needed to full charge by let's just say 38, which gives .42, rounded off.
That's 4 hours 20 minutes, which I believe is what the display settled down at after a bit before I walked away.
Using your formula above I would then calculate 4.2 * .24 = 18.8 kwh total kw used. Correct?
Then using my power company charge of $.0802*18.8 = $1.44 to complete the charge of 165 miles.
That doesn't seem right looking at that amount but if correct, wow!

You're overcomplicating this. The analogy of what you're trying to do is calculating the cost of filling up a tank of gas by using the flow rate of the gasoline nozzle, and time it takes to fill. Too complicated!

Your "tank" is the battery. It's capacity is 100 kWh. This is the same unit that your electric meter reads in, and is how you're charged. To go from 0 battery to full battery is 100 times your per kWh rate "all in" as others have said.

For partial battery charges, which are most, you can figure this a few ways. The easiest is with TeslaFi or another service. It will give you data on each charge, which you can either manually calculate the cost or enter your cost of electricity (per kWh) into the program and it will tell you.

If you don't want to do that, then there are a few other options. First, use the trip meter to display the "since last charge" info. That will tell you how many kWh you used since you last charged your battery. Each time you go to charge, write that number down. Then whatever you're paying for electricity, multiply that to get your total cost. Keep track of that each charge. You'll probably want to multiply it by 105% since there is some loss between the wall and your battery when charging.

You can also do some real rough back of the napkin math. Since your battery capacity is 100 kWh, you can think of each percentage of charge equal to 1 kWh. Record the starting and completing percentage of each charge and then that's your number of kWh. Multiply that by your cost. Again, figure an additional 5% loss so multiply by 105%.

You're not charging to 100% are you....???

Last edited:
Reactions: lardog
[QUOTE="Needsdecaf, post: 5278440, member: 92767"

If you don't want to do that, then there are a few other options. First, use the trip meter to display the "since last charge" info. That will tell you how many kWh you used since you last charged your battery. Each time you go to charge, write that number down. Then whatever you're paying for electricity, multiply that to get your total cost. Keep track of that each charge. You'll probably want to multiply it by 105% since there is some loss between the wall and your battery when charging.

You're not charging to 100% are you....???[/QUOTE]

No, I am not. I read in the manual or somewhere that only to charge to 100% when planning a long trip. As I rarely make long trips by car anymore. I keep having this 60% number in my head, to keep topped up and not let it go lower than that before charging. This is not always possible when doing a lot of dailing driving sometimes. The manual states to plug in when not using so I am now charging every night unless only going down the block for something and back. I have got this thing in my head that I need to treat this battery like my cell phone battery. Keep plugged in when near the charger and keep topped up. I like to make things last so I hope I am doing this right.

I have been using the 'since last charged' numbers to give me some idea now. I did look at the TeslaFi website but didn't download the app. I guess I should give it a try at least. I did order the volt/amp/energy meter on eBay yesterday so that should be fun to use too.

No, I am not. I read in the manual or somewhere that only to charge to 100% when planning a long trip. As I rarely make long trips by car anymore. I keep having this 60% number in my head, to keep topped up and not let it go lower than that before charging. This is not always possible when doing a lot of dailing driving sometimes. The manual states to plug in when not using so I am now charging every night unless only going down the block for something and back. I have got this thing in my head that I need to treat this battery like my cell phone battery. Keep plugged in when near the charger and keep topped up. I like to make things last so I hope I am doing this right.

I have been using the 'since last charged' numbers to give me some idea now. I did look at the TeslaFi website but didn't download the app. I guess I should give it a try at least. I did order the volt/amp/energy meter on eBay yesterday so that should be fun to use too.

Good glad to hear.

TeslaFi does not have an app. It's just the website. If you'd like a referral code, PM me. I believe it gets you a free trial and gets me a discounted month or a free month or something like that.

Sounds like you are starting to figure it out. It can be daunting. I'm an engineer but Circuits was my weakest subject, lol. Luckily I had a EV veteran friend who walked me through the whole thing and now it's easy peasy. Don't be afraid to keep asking for help if you need it, that's what we're here for!

Good glad to hear.

TeslaFi does not have an app. It's just the website. If you'd like a referral code, PM me. I believe it gets you a free trial and gets me a discounted month or a free month or something like that.

Sounds like you are starting to figure it out. It can be daunting. I'm an engineer but Circuits was my weakest subject, lol. Luckily I had a EV veteran friend who walked me through the whole thing and now it's easy peasy. Don't be afraid to keep asking for help if you need it, that's what we're here for!

TeslaFi next but I just tried uploading a picture for my profile and for some reason this system will not take an edited file. I have cropped all that parking lot and some off the top but this system doesn't like the edited pic for some reason. It is over the minimum pixels requirement. The only thing I notice different a second ago was the original is a .jpeg and the edited one shows as a .jpg. I then went into Paint and saved it as a .jpeg but the system here still doesn't like it. Maybe I'll just leave it as it is but I don't want to take up so much space. I notice everyone else here has a nice smaller square pic.

Oh, wait. After I saved this message I see the previous post has the edited pic. I am confused now. I will try to set it back as the edited one and see what happens.

Edit: I must have clicked the back button after setting the edited pic and didn't see the change. It is now displaying the correct and edited one. Whew! I have long days like this a lot. Now to go get my driver's license renewed today. Since covid I was late to set an appointment at the DMV and have been driving on an expired license.

Update! I have installed the eBay power energy meter that
If you really want to know, i would get a meter for about $15 on eBay. I have installed 3 to track car and HVAC usage and they have worked well for me. 100A AC LCD Panel Digital Power Watt Meter Monitor Voltage KWh Voltmeter Ammeter | eBay

I did buy this power energy meter and hooked it up in no time at all. I have logged two charging sessions with it and it appears to be very accurate to what TeslaFi reports. I am very happy you recommended this little item. Many thanks!!!

Power Energy Meter.jpg

Reactions: dhrivnak
Good glad to hear.

I'm liking the TeslaFi website now. Give me your referral code as my trial is going to expire in a few days and I want to give you a free month's credit for all your great info you've given me. You guys here are the best in helping us newbies get going and up to speed. Thx!

And isn't it interesting that all these people who want to keep track of every watt they put into their car hardly ever worried about the price of gas when they pulled up to the pump in their dinosaur-mobile?

My motto: Just drive it. It costs about a fourth what it used to cost in gas, not enough to get ulcers over.

Reactions: house9
And isn't it interesting that all these people who want to keep track of every watt they put into their car hardly ever worried about the price of gas when they pulled up to the pump in their dinosaur-mobile?

Most of these people are just being polite and don't know what else to ask.

But they are also making a point of sorts: they 'know' that EVs are more expensive than ICE, so they are asking for savings elsewhere. Or they have heard about EV performance, and are wondering how expensive it is to own.

I'm not very good at steering conversations, but if I could I would try to explain the car's *value.* Because they *are* expensive cars to own, but they are tremendous cars.

About this thread ...

ICE cars have muddied our ability to think clearly.
¢/mile is a vastly easier way to calculate both fool's fuel and EV fueling cost.

ICE
Cost_per_gallon (cents) / MPG = ¢/mile

EV
Cost_per_kWh * kWh_per_mile = ¢/mile

Last edited: