Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calculation of Miles per kWh for life of car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're lucky to not have reset Tip A, you have the Watt hour per mile (Wh/mi) for the life of the car.

If so, (Wh/mi)/1000 = kWh/mi. Invert this number to get mi/kWh.

For example, if your average Wh/mi is 280 --> 280/1000 = .280 kWh/mi.

Invert --> 1/.280 = 3.57 mi/kWh
FYI to OP this does not include the wh used for preconditioning, dog mode, energy loss charging (no charging is 100% efficient), or sentry mode.

You can log into charger to see output. If you charge in multiple locations, this becomes more difficult to calculate.

Reactions: RichardTheKing
How can I calculate the miles per kWh for the life of my 2022 MY? I have appx 5000 miles.
You either need to track how much electricity you put into your car since day 1 since there are charging losses and then account for remaining energy in battery to determine lifetime miles per kWh or you need to have used a data logging site or app like teslafi or scan my Tesla to track energy input and use. As stated above, there are many things the in car trip counter computer does not track in its calculations, things which do use energy which costs you money.

1. Dedicate Trip B to “Monthly Total” and set a reminder to reset it each month.
2. At the end of each month, record the Trip B data and odo. in a spreadsheet.
3. At the end of each month, record the Charging Stats data in a spreadsheet.

This will give you both the “driving” Wh/m and total (including charging losses), and allow you to see long-term / seasonal trends.

You either need to track how much electricity you put into your car since day 1 since there are charging losses and then account for remaining energy in battery to determine lifetime miles per kWh or you need to have used a data logging site or app like teslafi or scan my Tesla to track energy input and use.

I use Teslafi. You can literally drown in data and statistics. I love it.

I can look up a previous trip and find the usual details like distance, percent SOC expended, miles traveled, Wh/mi, and total kWh consumed. But I can also find a graph of elevation changes, inside and outside temp, air pressure in each tire, wind speed, average speed, and max speed. Pretty cool.

Reactions: RichardTheKing

I can look up a previous trip and find the usual details like distance, percent SOC expended, miles traveled, Wh/mi, and total kWh consumed. But I can also find a graph of elevation changes, inside and outside temp, air pressure in each tire, wind speed, average speed, and max speed. Pretty cool.
I have teslafi as well. The OP has the problem of no data for the 5000 miles he has already driven.

Reactions: CaseyL
FYI to OP this does not include the wh used for preconditioning, dog mode, energy loss charging (no charging is 100% efficient), or sentry mode.

You can log into charger to see output. If you charge in multiple locations, this becomes more difficult to calculate.
Yes indeed, but also my home smart metre send 7.4% more energy to the car that it has received. The smart meter let me know what I have really send to the car in KwH and £. This increase the wh/miles of decrease the miles/Wh

Yes, I am using Teslafi and it is quite good, but Tesla does not know the energy losses before the home charger. For me it is around 3 to 4%, and all together around 7 to 8 %

I’m kinda of new to Tesla, so not sure about the trip A or B Comments, but I’d like to figure out my actual average miles per KWh for a specific period. For example, for the past 30 days if I had driven 1000 miles, how many KWh did it use. If the KWh usage also includes losses due to car being parked, sentry mode, etc, etc, it’s ok. I just really want to see what it takes on the average in terms of KWh to drive my average monthly mileage. Is there something that Tesla app or other apps can display? Does anyone feel it’s important to know similar to mileage over gallon in a non EV car?

The Tesla Charging Stats can be displayed in the Tesla phone app. The Charging Stats will show you a rolling 31 day average of the kWh added through charging whether charging at home, work, other or Supercharging. You can get a rough idea of your miles per kWh if you know the number of miles driven over that period.

The Tesla Trips display within the Tesla vehicle can track energy used (while driving, not while parked or preconditioning) for the most recent trip, since the last charge, Trip Odometer A or Trip Odometer B. (Many Tesla owners rename Trip B to be Lifetime to track the lifetime watt hours per mile (Wh/mi) or watt hours per kilometer (Wh/km.)

To change to miles per kWh just divide 1 by the Wh/mi value expressed in kWh/mi; i.e. 280 Wh/mi would be 1/.280 kWh which equals 3.57 miles per kWh.

My lifetime driving efficiency is 265 Wh/mi, recently, now that is getting colder my Wh/mi consumption has jumped up at least 10% for the same daily driving routine to around ~300 Wh/mi or higher (most of my trips are short trips of around 4 miles.)

Reactions: vsapi100
The Tesla Charging Stats can be displayed in the Tesla phone app. The Charging Stats will show you a rolling 31 day average of the kWh added through charging whether charging at home, work, other or Supercharging. You can get a rough idea of your miles per kWh if you know the number of miles driven over that period.

The Tesla Trips display within the Tesla vehicle can track energy used (while driving, not while parked or preconditioning) for the most recent trip, since the last charge, Trip Odometer A or Trip Odometer B. (Many Tesla owners rename Trip B to be Lifetime to track the lifetime watt hours per mile (Wh/mi) or watt hours per kilometer (Wh/km.)

To change to miles per kWh just divide 1 by the Wh/mi value expressed in kWh/mi; i.e. 280 Wh/mi would be 1/.280 kWh which equals 3.57 miles per kWh.
Thank you. I was hoping the app would also track my miles but I guess I’ll have to manually track that. Would make sense for Tesla to display it on the same page as energy used if they can figure out how to calculate miles driven.

I wonder if anyone has done this calculation and what the average is for model S. Of course there are many variables that affect that, but if big enough sample I could use it as a benchmark.

Thank you. I was hoping the app would also track my miles but I guess I’ll have to manually track that. Would make sense for Tesla to display it on the same page as energy used if they can figure out how to calculate miles driven.

I wonder if anyone has done this calculation and what the average is for model S. Of course there are many variables that affect that, but if big enough sample I could use it as a benchmark.
If you enter a destination in the Navigation system the energy screen will display the miles driven and consumption (both expected and actual) along the trip route. (In the latest release of the Tesla software (~2022.44.x) the energy screen has a whole new look with additional information on energy consumption including: driving, climate control, battery warming, etc. The older energy screen options are still available under a separate tab.

To reset the trip odometers (A and B) just press and hold the trip odometer entry on the Tesla screen. If you reset Trip A each month that enable you to track your monthly mileage and driving consumption.

There is a lot of Tesla vehicle consumption data; some of it is from several or more years ago.

370-Mile Tesla Model S Long Range EPA Energy Consumption Rating

Last edited:
Reactions: vsapi100
You can figure out miles per kWh by looking at the average Wh/mi over the lifetime of the car. I'll use mine for example.

My car shows 265 Wh/mi over the life of the car. Battery is 77 kWh. 77,00 Wh ÷ 265 Wh/mi = 291 miles of range.

291 mi = 3.78 mi per 1 kWh
77 kWh

You can check that by 3.78 mi/kwh x 77 kWh = 291 mi range

So for my car, for every 1 kWh consumed, I go 3.78 miles.

You can figure out miles per kWh by looking at the average Wh/mi over the lifetime of the car. I'll use mine for example.

My car shows 265 Wh/mi over the life of the car. Battery is 77 kWh. 77,00 Wh ÷ 265 Wh/mi = 291 miles of range.

291 mi = 3.78 mi per 1 kWh
77 kWh

You can check that by 3.78 mi/kwh x 77 kWh = 291 mi range

So for my car, for every 1 kWh consumed, I go 3.78 miles.

Actually, having the Wh/mi is all you need. 265 Wh/mi is 0.265 kWh/mi.

Invert that to get mile per kWh --> 1 ÷ 0.265 = 3.77 kWh per mile.