Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calendar life of Li-ion batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Matias

Apr 2, 2014
Finland
Hi!

I'm interested about calendar life of li-ion batteries. Meaning how many years they last.

Specifically this thread is about calendar life, not cycle life. There is plenty of data of li-ion cells capacity degradation with cycles, but not so much regarding cells age.

I'm interested, do cells last 15 years and again I'm not talking about cycles😊

Hi!

I'm interested about calendar life of li-ion batteries. Meaning how many years they last.

Specifically this thread is about calendar life, not cycle life. There is plenty of data of li-ion cells capacity degradation with cycles, but not so much regarding cells age.

I'm interested, do cells last 15 years and again I'm not talking about cycles😊
There is a huge set of threads on the Model 3 battery forum about this very issue.

In a nutshell, there is calendar degradation which is proportional to sqrt(time). The degradation can be lessened significantly (in half) for state of charge less than 55%. The degradation rate also depends on the temperature---hot is a bunch worse than cold.

Over 15 years the capacity will go down but otherwise likely function acceptably. If the sqrt() plays out long term (it's an approximate model) the degradation at 16 years will be 4x the degradation at 1 year. That 1 year degradation might be 5-6% (or significantly less if you do like I and a few others and limit max daily charge to 50%), so 20% down at 16 years. Plus cycle aging.

I found this video describing model S/X cars with 200,000 to 1,000,000 miles of total driving distance. The battery life far exceeds expectations, and degradation, including high mileage cars charged daily to 100% on Superchargers, with relatively modest range loss: