TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Calgary Herald - Tesla's electric roadster changing dealership paradigm

Discussion in 'News' started by Doug_G, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

2. tomanik

tomanik Member

Being from Calgary have to say I would love that to be the case however being a Calgary Herald article talking about a Calgary store, not sure I put much faith in it.

3. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

I find this idea (stores in malls) to be interesting and a very unique opportunity for Tesla. This could (possibly) help them expand their stores faster than finding, buying and dressing up old dealerships or erecting new ones.

I don't know how renting space in a mall works but the resulting increase in foot traffic to the mall might further help Tesla get their foot in the door over another tenant looking to lease the same space. The only thing I'd be concerned a bit about is servicing Tesla vehicles if the company continues to go the store-in-a-mall route. I guess the little necessary maintenance an EV needs allows Tesla to get away with this new idea where a "typical" car maker could not.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I think the model is, put relatively small stores in expensive, very high traffic locations; put the larger repair facility in a low-cost, low traffic location.

5. PopSmith

I see. That actually sounds like a good idea as long as the repair facilities aren't too out of the way for their customers. Of course that will be fixed over time and in the mean time the Tesla Rangers could be sent out to fix (or, at least, diagnose) issues if someone is relatively far away from a repair facility.

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

In Toronto it's going in near the airport, lots of major highways, easy access. So I think they're on top of that.

Don't forget that if it's inconvenient but in your town, the Ranger service is going to be pretty cheap so you can always go that route.

7. PopSmith

That's very true. At $1 per roundtrip mile an in-town Ranger visit isn't going to add much to the maintenance costs.

8. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I say consider it to be an awesome marketing plan to put Tesla Motors in front of the general public. I rather like the idea.