Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calibrate computer for taller tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I install tires that are about 40mm taller, the speedometer and odometer are now going to read low. The computer systems make decisions based on the standard tire height / revolutions per mile.

So after installing taller tires, is there any way to recalibrate the system for the different height tires?

Since primitive vehicles like Chevy pickup trucks can be calibrated, I'd expect that it is possible for a Tesla but....

My goal is to use:
Enkei Performance Phantom or Victory 19"x8" (or some other 19"x7.5-8" wheel)
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 235/65R19 (for greater ground clearance and Ice traction)

If I install tires that are about 40mm taller, the speedometer and odometer are now going to read low. The computer systems make decisions based on the standard tire height / revolutions per mile.

So after installing taller tires, is there any way to recalibrate the system for the different height tires?

Since primitive vehicles like Chevy pickup trucks can be calibrated, I'd expect that it is possible for a Tesla but....

My goal is to use:
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 235/65R19 (for greater ground clearance and Ice traction)
Thats not 40mm taller, thats 80mm taller. I’m not sure that tire size wouldn’t rub/catch in the wheel well. The diamater of that wheel is 31” vs the 28” stock wheel. Can’t say how much this compromises the vehicles dynamics, but sounds like you’ll find out, and then let us know.

Reactions: cypho
Thats not 40mm taller, thats 80mm taller. I’m not sure that tire size wouldn’t rub/catch in the wheel well. The diamater of that wheel is 31” vs the 28” stock wheel. Can’t say how much this compromises the vehicles dynamics, but sounds like you’ll find out, and then let us know.
I agree, that big tire size is unlikely to fit.

I am also concern with the pivot located jut above the front wheel,
which is a limitation for using larger snow tires.

My goal is to use:

These new tires are over 8-10% larger than the stock tires. It is only recommended to be +/- 1-3%.

19" Stock
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
255/45-19 4.5in 14.0in 28.0in 88.1in 719 0.0%
235/65-19 6.0in 15.5in 31.0in 97.5in 650 10.7%

20" Stock

255/40-20 4.0in 14.0in 28.0in 88.1in 719 0.0%

21" Stock Front
255/35-21 3.5in 14.0in 28.0in 88.1in 720 0.0%

21" Stock Rear
275/35-21 3.8in 14.3in 28.6in 89.8in 706 0.0%
235/65-19 6.0in 15.5in 31.0in 97.5in 650 8.6%

Thanks for all the useful information. I guess I'll just accept that the Model Y is a cute-ute and not a suv. Wasn't planning on serious off-roading, just wanting to have enough ground clearance for the kind of rutted dirt roads we run into in the west. So this means keeping the MB ML430 for trips. With the limited range, the Tesla was going to be of marginal use anyway; not much use to have the closest supercharger 200 miles away from where we are driving.

So again, thanks to all of you.

Thanks for all the useful information. I guess I'll just accept that the Model Y is a cute-ute and not a suv. Wasn't planning on serious off-roading, just wanting to have enough ground clearance for the kind of rutted dirt roads we run into in the west. So this means keeping the MB ML430 for trips. With the limited range, the Tesla was going to be of marginal use anyway; not much use to have the closest supercharger 200 miles away from where we are driving.

So again, thanks to all of you.
The issues that we brought up are not Tesla specific. All cars have stock size tires and you only want to go a certain % beyond that or else you will throw off the speedometer and odometer (phantom miles killing resale). You can ignore that and use bigger tires, assuming they clear the suspension etc.

Neither MB or Tesla are made for off-roading. Assuming you outfit both with A/T or Snow Tires, the Model Y will have much better grip than a MB with 3 open differentials and no way to lock. The only advantage to the ML is ground clearance of 8.4" vs. 6.6."

Range is also not an issue as there are thousands for supercharger locations. If you are from Erie, PA there are many on the major highways to your location within 200 miles.

Salamanca, NY
Erie, PA
Falls Creek, PA
Grove City, PA
Hermitage, PA
Macedonia, OH
Strongsville, OH
Sheffield, OH
Sandusky, OH (Cedar Point is a favorite of ours)

Last edited: