Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California 2020 EV HOV sticker color is...

What EV sticker color should I get???

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 35FBF4C8-A840-4104-83DC-BC55A8965DDE.jpeg
    35FBF4C8-A840-4104-83DC-BC55A8965DDE.jpeg
    608.5 KB · Views: 606
Wtf people. Why are you waiting based on color? The stickers are becoming less useful as time goes on and more of them are issued due to more and more EVs being sold?
If you were more than halfway thru 2019 and planned to keep your EV/PHEV past 1/1/2023, to me, it'd make sense to wait.

See Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage for expiration dates.

I intentionally still have not gotten any HOV stickers for the Bolt I bought at end of Jan 2019 because I almost never travel during CA HOV lane restricted hours anyway and may as well keep waiting. In the past year, I've probably done so under 10 times, likely under 5 times.

Unless the Sept 30, 2025 date changes at Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board, I'll probably wait until 2021 or 2022.

If I have to sell my car for some reason (I don't own my home and probably will need to move within the next year or two and for all I know, I could be let go from my current job w/free EV charging and end up at a workplace w/no charging or insufficient charging), a qualifying car w/o stickers or with later expiration is worth more to CA folks than one w/that's expiring sooner/at all.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Just remember that the program can be terminatd at any time, so delaying is a bit of a risk, and the entire program will end September 30, 2025.

Since decals are good for three full years plus whatever portion of the year remains when they are issued, your best bet is to get them early in whatever year you want them to start. So if you already have your permanent plates, file your REG1000 next week. You'll get most of 2020 plus all of 2021-2023.

Just remember that the program can be terminatd at any time, so delaying is a bit of a risk, and the entire program will end September 30, 2025.
I find the possibility of it being terminated earlier to be unlikely. CA HOV sticker programs have existed for ages, going back to the early 2000's, if not earlier. I had the yellow HOV stickers on my former 06 Prius which expired AGES ago. I got those in 06.

I could see them putting caps on the number of stickers issued (has been done before) or on certain highways, disallowing HOV sticker cars from driving solo/fewer than the number of required occupants during restricted hours.

Wtf people. Why are you waiting based on color? The stickers are becoming less useful as time goes on and more of them are issued due to more and more EVs being sold?
I agree that the stickers are being devaluated more and more. But the orange stickers are so *ugly*. Worst color since the old yellow ones. :confused: Positive side: I strongly disliked my "lavender" stickers when I got them, but now I'm kind of happy that I have them. ;)

The placement for 2020 changed?

Carefully peel CAV decals from the backing material and apply as follows:

1. Large Decals-
    • Place on the rear quarter panels, one on each side of the vehicle, behind the wheel wells, with the state seal pointed up on the bottom of the decal.
      cav_decal+placement.png
  2. Small Decals-
    • For white decals, place on the right side of the rear bumper only, with the state seal pointed up on the bottom of the decal.
    • For green and red decals, place on the right side of each bumper, front and rear, with the state seal pointed up on the bottom of the decal.
      cav_decal_placement_front.png
      2020cav.png

WARNING:
      Do not attempt to remove or reposition CAV decals after application. Doing so will result in the destruction of the decals.

Attachments

• F00ECAC5-DE7C-4919-9135-901375B79C5D.png
    F00ECAC5-DE7C-4919-9135-901375B79C5D.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 0A235DBD-96FF-4FDF-BFDC-9333D061766C.png
    0A235DBD-96FF-4FDF-BFDC-9333D061766C.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 100
The placement for 2020 changed?

Carefully peel CAV decals from the backing material and apply as follows:

1. Large Decals-
    • Place on the rear quarter panels, one on each side of the vehicle, behind the wheel wells, with the state seal pointed up on the bottom of the decal.
      cav_decal+placement.png
  2. Small Decals-
    • For white decals, place on the right side of the rear bumper only, with the state seal pointed up on the bottom of the decal.
    • For green and red decals, place on the right side of each bumper, front and rear, with the state seal pointed up on the bottom of the decal.
      cav_decal_placement_front.png
      2020cav.png

WARNING:
      Do not attempt to remove or reposition CAV decals after application. Doing so will result in the destruction of the decals.

Is that the new set of instructions? It mentions all the old(no longer being sent stickers, Red, Green and White) but nothing about the Orange?