TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

California ARB rebate: has anyone sold before 36 months?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Stoneymonster, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

The California $2500 rebate requires that the car be owned for 36 consecutive months. I'm wondering if anyone has sold before that and what they do in that case?
    Do they prorate the rebate and require a percentage back? The whole thing?

2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

I've heard different stories: When I sold my LEAF after 18 months, I was advised that if I sold the car to someone in California, no problem. Good enough for me.
    I do know that folks that have reported their sale to CARB have had to pay portions back.

3. professionalr

professionalr Member

what they dont know...

4. miimura

miimura Active Member

The CVRP administrators check DMV records. If they find that you received a rebate and are no longer the registered owner, they can ask you to pay back a pro-rated amount.

5. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I figure more folks have had experience with this now. I am going to be selling my Volt prior to the 36 months for the CA rebate I got.

I know I am supposed to call the state up and report before I do it so they can get back some (all?) of the rebate. Anyone know if its prorated, or if I have to write them a check for the full rebate amount?