Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Auto Insurance: Share Your Claims Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
USAA recently doubled the insurance for my Model 3, so I am investigating new insurance companies. I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest insurance, I'm looking for the cheapest insurance from a company that follows through when you file a claim. Who here loves their inexpensive insurance, even after filing a claim with them?

The insurance on my M3 was raised from $506/6-months to $1,037/six months (full coverage, $1k deductible). I have been insured with USAA for about 30 years. This family is fairly low risk: both my wife and I are over 50 with clean DMV records. I've had to file no-fault claims twice; once when my Acura was totaled in 1995, and when my BMW was side-swiped in 2008. USAA was johnny-on-the-spot for claims processing, though I was unable to purchase a similar Acura vehicle with the settlement they provided.

I don't know if I will be able to find cheaper insurance here in San Diego, but I'm going to find out. However, I don't want to purchase cheap insurance from a company that won't pay claims without a lot of hassle.

My Agent said wow we have good rates on Tesla; and they did. He didn't think we did rates on those EV's in those price brackets. Now he wants one.

Been with Allstate here in LA, California for about 30 years myself. They're always been a pleasure to deal with at anytime. When I was involved in an accident in the middle of the night on a weekend my agent immediately returned my call. They decided to total my brand new car instead of repairing it instead of repairing it and even paid me slightly more than I paid for it due to using comp rates instead of just blue book. I was given a nice brand new high end loaner, not another Tesla but an expensive up model BMW. Had it for a week before they cut me a check and I had a new car. They separate the claim of your car from all other parts of the claim so you get your vehicle back or check in your pocket asap. As cheap as USAA (used) to be no. But they have always been there whenever I had a claim, policy question, running various pricing options. My rate has actually gone down due to CV rebates.

Find a local agent. They also help go to bat with corporate if there are any issues because they want to keep you as a customer.

Also strongly recommend a good size umbrella policy over your car and home.

USAA recently doubled the insurance for my Model 3, so I am investigating new insurance companies. I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest insurance, I'm looking for the cheapest insurance from a company that follows through when you file a claim. Who here loves their inexpensive insurance, even after filing a claim with them?

The insurance on my M3 was raised from $506/6-months to $1,037/six months (full coverage, $1k deductible). I have been insured with USAA for about 30 years. This family is fairly low risk: both my wife and I are over 50 with clean DMV records. I've had to file no-fault claims twice; once when my Acura was totaled in 1995, and when my BMW was side-swiped in 2008. USAA was johnny-on-the-spot for claims processing, though I was unable to purchase a similar Acura vehicle with the settlement they provided.

I don't know if I will be able to find cheaper insurance here in San Diego, but I'm going to find out. However, I don't want to purchase cheap insurance from a company that won't pay claims without a lot of hassle.
I know it is a 2-years old post. Did you find the insurance company you were looking for?

I am shopping on insurance for incoming model 3 RWD and model y LR.

Reactions: heytae