Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California bans small gas engines including gas generators

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great. Then get a battery inverter instead :D
Yeah no. What happens if the power goes out for 5 days because the idiots at PG&E are busy paying bonuses instead of fixing the grid?
And how would they regulate that gas generators are only for use on the rare occasion the power is out and not for 7 days straight boon docking in a National forest disturbing everyone trying to enjoy the outdoors within 5 miles?
Want to make using gasoline a last resort? Tax it so that it's $20 a gallon. I'll buy it and use it if I have to, but not unless I have no other choice.

Yeah no. What happens if the power goes out for 5 days because the idiots at PG&E are busy paying bonuses instead of fixing the grid?

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 1.57.00 PM.png

Also... gasoline spoils. The fuel you want for emergencies is propane. And... non-portable generators are not banned.

If the power goes out during an atmospheric river storm and it's cloudy for days, that's not going to work.
Also... gasoline spoils. The fuel you want for emergencies is propane. And... non-portable generators are not banned.
I keep a 5 gallon can with fuel stabilizer in it. Currently, after 6-12 months, I pour it into my PHEV and then refill the can. If I had no cars with ICE at all, then I could buy a generator that uses propane. Or I'd just be forced to burn 5 gallons of gas every 6-12 months. Now if gas were $20 a gallon, that's $100 worth, so...

>90% of outages are when it's too hot or too windy. Generally doesn't happen when it's cloudy and rainy. Also, solar will still produce even when it's cloudy. Maybe not enough for A/C... which you generally won't need if it's cloudy and rainy ;)
Our outages are usually during winter storms which knock down power lines. Just had one 3 days ago. My Outback Skyboxes with LFP batteries handled it just fine. We didn't even know the power went out until neighbors asked.

A couple of my neighbors had to use their generators after a storm in March damaged their homes and knocked out power to the neighborhood. Those two houses were without power for three days due to damage to the powerlines going to their homes. It happened on a Friday night. Rain all day Saturday and most of Sunday. Temps after the storm were in the 40s during the day and below freezing at night. I just don't see that much solar where I live and I have never seen solar on a house with a metal roof

A couple of my neighbors had to use their generators after a storm in March damaged their homes and knocked out power to the neighborhood. Those two houses were without power for three days due to damage to the powerlines going to their homes. It happened on a Friday night. Rain all day Saturday and most of Sunday. Temps after the storm were in the 40s during the day and below freezing at night. I just don't see that much solar where I live and I have never seen solar on a house with a metal roof
My garage has a metal roof and solar. S5 makes some great clamps for metal roofs.

What type of generator? DId they have a permit? Transfer switch?

I know that their generator is very large The power company made them shut their Generator off while they hooked the powerlines to the meter then to the house and they had to put in a new switch. The powerlines were actually ripped from their house when part of the roof came off their Barn. Most of the Homes in my neighborhood have a power pole right outside of the house with the electric meter attached to it. The wires come from overhead to the pole outside the homes. That pole has the meter and wires that attach to the house. The storm debris tore the wires from the pole outside their house as well as damaging the pole with their meter on it. Storm happened on a Friday night. I was without power for 5 hours. Didn't care it was nighttime. I live in Breckenridge Co Ky just east of Hardinsburg or 30 minutes south of Indiana. I lost a bunch of shingles and a lot of neighborhood property ended up in my yard. This is the storms that caused the damage
www.wdrb.com/news/national-weather-service-preliminarily-confirms-tornadoes-in-hardin-bullitt-and-breckinridge-counties/article_933b1fea-a79b-11ec-8ae4-03f951bd59c4.html

This finally comes into effect.

On January 1st, new lawn mowers, leaf blowers, string trimmers, and other yard equipment will need to meet CARB zero-emission requirements.

CARB notes a commercial operator using a backpack leaf blower for 1 hour generates the same smog-forming emissions as a car driven 1,100 miles. Unabated, by 2031, ICE yard equipment is expected to produce double the amount of admissions as light-duty passenger cars.

$30 million has been allocated to small landscaping businesses to encourage them purchase zero-emissions equipment. But one has to wonder about how effective this policy will be, particularly for residential/commercial landscape maintenance businesses.

While the absence of ICE equipment at local stores will likely further motivate homeowners to go electric, no one is required to surrender old ICE equipment and there doesn't appear to be a mechanism to prevent an open or black market of buying new or old ICE equipment in/out of State.

New gas generators and large power washers aren't included in the zero-emission rule until 2028, but will have to reduce emissions 40-90% starting this New Year.

The Electric Revolution Is Coming for Your Lawn Mower

Arguably demand management is not "running out of power".
Here in my purple to red state, Duke power pays people a small amount to put demand mitigation relays on a/c and hot water. Our hospital runs it diesel generators based on peak events from Duke power. They have to run them at intervals for testing/maintenance.
Mitigation makes sense for peak events. That is just good administration.
Using voluntary curtailment as a tool is rational and sensical. And it worked.

So 2 years ago, in the summer, when Government, and even Tesla, asked to not charge car in the summer heat is fake news now? Someone must be working for CNN and MSNBC.

That's demand-response and it works.

But, in any case, they aren't banning generators They're just going to require that generator and other small engines aren't dirty.
It's been in the works for years.
The market will respond, just as motorcycle engine manufacturers responded when emissions regulations were tightened on motorcycles.
Chunks of the small engine market will shift to electric. (E.g. I have a corded electric mower and a corded electric weed whacker)
Others will just have to pay more for a better engine.

Here, people have generators not because there isn't enough power, but because power lines get downed and in winter transformers sometimes pop.