Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California bans small gas engines including gas generators

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brilliant. Create policies where you can't supply enough electricity to your state's residents and then forbid them to purchase generators to help them deal with the inevitable blackouts.
I'm not sure it's policies that make PG&E turn off power multiple times a month for hours (or days) at a time like they do where I live. Gas engines have always created tons of pollution, and I have used battery powered yard equipment for years. "Lawn maintenance" companies could have started years ago to switch, but they preferred to stick to gasoline burners with no thought about the stink and stench and constant wail of two and four cycle engines all around my place all day Saturday. I would argue that electric trimmers, mowers, blowers, etc., do NOT cost double to run. All they have to do is buy extra batteries and charge them at night, just like electric car users do now. If these yard people would switch to battery power it would cut TWO types of pollution, air, and NOISE.

Cry me a river. The yard maintenance folk will simply charge more for services, and have new battery powered equipment within weeks. The amount of electricity is easily taken care of by current generation, but perhaps if people don't like the greater use they could put up a couple solar panels. Try installing an oil well jack pump and refinery for your lawn mower. It is a known fact that an electric motor uses about a fourth of the energy that a gas engine does.

California blackouts are as much about turning off power during wind storms to prevent limbs hitting wires and sparking onto dry grass, as not being able to supply "enough electricity", and a battery pack easily covers those blips and moments of power outage.

The state doesn't forbid battery backup systems. No blackouts here (at my house) in ten years.

No reason why yard maintenance crews can not have a bunch of 40-80V batteries charged night before and do additional charging at residences when available. We use the Ryobi 40V ecosystem and they make these multi-battery rapid chargers for folks who need to do a lot more work than the usual resident:

RYOBI 40V Lithium-Ion 3-Port Charger-OP407AVNM - The Home Depot

And eventually there will be used Cybertrucks and other BEV trucks, so charging on yard maintenance vehicles will likely be the future as well.

Last edited:
No reason why yard maintenance crews can not have a bunch of 40-80V batteries charged night before and do additional charging at residences when available. We use the Ryobi 40V ecosystem and they make these multi-battery rapid chargers for folks who need to do a lot more work than the usual resident:

RYOBI 40V Lithium-Ion 3-Port Charger-OP407AVNM - The Home Depot

And eventually there will be used Cybertrucks and other BEV trucks, so charging on yard maintenance vehicles will likely be the future as well.
This charger only charges one battery at a time. So you need 12+ hours to charge 3 $180 batteries that last less than 30 minutes.

This charger only charges one battery at a time. So you need 12+ hours to charge 3 $180 batteries that last less than 30 minutes.
No, even with the standard supplied chargers the batteries charge much faster. With this unit they charge consecutively and it charges 5Ah batteries in 1 hour and 7.5Ah in 1-2 hours, so overkill to do overnight. Also run time is much greater than that.

Buying OEM batteries piecemeal can be on the expensive side, but much cheaper with buying with the lawn equipment or non-OEM.

We have 2.6Ah, 4Ah, and 6Ah batteries that came with different yard tools and just leave them at 25-75% capacity all the time since they don't get much use and standby for our 200W AC inverters for emergencies to run some lights and small devices.

Reactions: Zythryn and nwdiver
The chargers aren't the expensive part, and if the intelligent yard maintenance people would buy a few extra batteries and have them charged, they could easily be ready for the day's work. Not all of it requires power equipment. I have been using batteries for yard work for about ten years, and I am pretty sure the maintenance crews could manage.

I love people who always look for the easiest way out, sometimes you need to look at the end result and if something is good for everyone maybe you need to try a little harder to make it happen.

Sadly that's not enough in the 'Age of Stupid'. Case in point, the Covid Vaccine. Mandates are no longer the 'easiest way'. Unfortunately in the 'Age of Stupid' it's now often the only way.

A lot of the landscaping companies have zero turn mowers. This one has a capacity of 6 batteries to mow up to 2 1/2 acers. Doesn't list charge time. Spare batteries would be expensive. Most of the ICE mowers I see are also operated in the rain and generally left outside on trailers when being transported. So all of the information I see on battery lawn equipment states do not use in rain and do not leave outdoors in rain. So maintenance people could only use these in fair weather and purchase large enclosed trailers?https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-Dual-H...-prd-_-sol-_-ggl-_-LIA_SOL_239_Battery-Ope-_-

I think smaller equipment works well electric already but the larger stuff not so much.

Doesn't the law ban 25hp and below anyway? If that's the case the larger commercial mowers are still fine.

The links had extra text in them for some reason.

• Disagree
Reactions: RSpanner and h2ofun