Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(California) Bay Area FasTrak*— Is the license plate pic method working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol. This requirement to use tags in express lanes when carpooling/EV affects me in my (ICE) car too. The law is already in effect without a way to comply yet (switchable tags not available yet online). No news on the Fastrak web site how to comply, when to order tags, etc. Our wonderous government in action.

I assume a periodic call to the tag svc ctr to fix errors would theoretically fix this until the new tags are working well. What a nuisance though. That's assuming this even works.

It would be nice if Tesla could implement an interior driver controlled button to set up transponder tags mounted exterior, both passenger count and an on-off switch, too.

Last edited:
Lol. This requirement to use tags in express lanes when carpooling/EV affects me in my (ICE) car too. The law is already in effect without a way to comply yet (switchable tags not available yet online). No news on the Fastrak web site how to comply, when to order tags, etc. Our wonderous government in action.

I assume a periodic call to the tag svc ctr to fix errors would theoretically fix this until the new tags are working well. What a nuisance though. That's assuming this even works.

It would be nice if Tesla could implement an interior driver controlled button to set up transponder tags mounted exterior, both passenger count and an on-off switch, too.

How can you tell for sure that the law is already in effect? I am using an express lane every day, and have neither been charged by FasTrak (based on license plate), nor been stopped by anyone. Besides making the new tags available, I was under the impression there would be large and clear announcement banners etc before they begin enforcing the law. How are we supposed to know of the change otherwise?

Went through fastrack last night on SF Bay Bridge, transponder up and right of mirror.
Tight in that corner where the dots are.
Model S Mid 2014 delivery.

Was a bit worried I would have to change
to the front location (who needs extra work? Not me.),
but at 20MPH was sensed properly.

Sign me a happy camper with Fastrak.

A friend drove to
Berkeley too, but had to drive ICE car, their Leaf
just could not go their round trip from the SF peninsula.
They are thinking of ordering a Tesla...